spare keys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always keep my spare on a lanyard in my tank bag. If I'm off and away from my bike I take by tank bag with me. If you doubt the safety of this, after placing the key, ask 3 friends to find the key. They'll have a tough time even if they know it is somewhere on the bike. Another ideas is, tape a spare to the backside of the license plate and use slotted fasteners to hold the plate on. If you needed to get at the spare key and do not have a flat head screwdriver available, a coin, someone else key or the hasp on a watchband would do.

Cheers!!

Anthony

Thanks, guys. I had looked up Hide a key and did not come across anything. I think the lanyard/tank bag or duct tape are the way to go. Like the license plate too.

I typically keep a spare key in a pocket. Seems I always recall something I need to get out of the saddlebags just after starting engine.

Burt...This has been done to death. You can probably search "Spare key site:fjrforum.com" from Google and find a load of topics. There are tons of opinions, but the biggest one is: How smart is it to talk about where a key is hidden on a certain type of motorcycle on a public forum?

Many of us carry an extra one in our jacket or somewhere on our person. I wouldn't leave one on the bike.
Burt, just ignore HRZ: HotRodZilla stashes his spare key up his fat ass! Since I travel into Old Mexico a lot and don't want to be 1K kilometers South of the Border without a key, I zip tie a spare key onto the wiring harness leading into the headlight assembly.

I've been hiding a key on my bikes for my Mexican motorcycling adventures for 45 years now and have never lost a bike to Los Banditos! Besides, when I go to a FJR Forum Event: Those assholes HRZ, Patch308 and SkooterG will move my Feejer to a hiding spot whether they have a fecking key or not. They think it is so damn funny to watch this Alzheimered and Senile Old Goat wandering around the hotel grounds the next morning looking for his FJR! They shouldn't pick on we poor Old Folks!
Gawd you're dumb hung like a SeaHorse! Now when I see you in Salida, Patch and I are gonna park your bike on the other side of town.
tongue.gif
Fixed and Thanks!
Right horse.

I have a small tool hidden on the bike that I then use to remove a part of the bike to get to the hidden key

I have a small tool hidden on the bike that I then use to remove a part of the bike to get to the hidden key
I also have a small tool that I keep hidden, but I don't usually like to talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator: