My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree the documentation was not so good. My gen1 risers came with gen2 instructions and those weren't easy to follow. However the install was pretty easy to figure out. If you can find a True Value hardware store they carry a good selection of metric fasteners. I used stainless bolts on my riser cuz I wasn't smart enough to check all the packing mat'l from MV. After I used new bolts I found the ones they sent with the riser
fool.gif
. Sorry you're having problems. I am very happy with the product. Especially liked not having to relocate the ignition switch. Mine also came with a solar powered thermometer. The adjustability really helped eliminate my right hand pain and numbness.

Ahchiu, good on ya for helping out.
punk.gif

I received the bolts and new bracket from achiu earlier this week - will need to remove the triple tree , like fitting genmar risers , so will do it Saturday. I will post pics and. Write up when done

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a new owner of a '13 FJR, where the bars adjust to 3 positions--is that not the case on an 08? Or is the MV in addition to?

I ask because I have mine all the way back and really wish I could get one more inch (I know I set myself up here ':)

I'm a new owner of a '13 FJR, where the bars adjust to 3 positions--is that not the case on an 08? Or is the MV in addition to?
I ask because I have mine all the way back and really wish I could get one more inch (I know I set myself up here ':)
Hi Road King!

The MV adapter plate brings your handlebar closed to you about 1+half inch more.About one inch higher and 20 degrees angle adjustment!

Have a look at their website :https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/Yamaha+FJR+1300+2006+up+to+2013+MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate.htm

And have a look also in the pictures in this thread..

Well i fiited it after all that, with the help of achiu and sportsguy - thansk both - I had to replace the bracket under the tripple tree because i messed up the nuts using the wrong bolts - as i hadnt received any replacements in the package

Couple of things i think that need more clariifctaion

1. I assumed that you would slide the new riser to the back of the standard adjustment for the maximum effect - that wasnt clear but made sense

2. I used the standard torques for the original handle bar bolts even though there is now no pins from the handlebars to add extra purchase - so 17 and 47 lb ft

3. The original large nut was 17 mm , the new bolt is 19mm (had to go buy one)

4. Use a small amount of painters tape over the nuts inder the rear of the riser - to keep them in place, so you dont drop them !

5. The new bolts require a NM - i converted them to lb ftr as i dont have a torque wrench with NM - they are 63 lb ft and 18 lb ft

Lastly i have gone with standard position for now - but will look to adjust the angle as i go along , also someone asked for a before and after picture with the rider so wanted to provide a fair comparison below

I have loads more pictures if anybody wants them but the poinst above were the bits i couldnt discren from the great pictures already posted

before

beforemv.jpg

After (though i think im slouching a bit)

aftermv.jpg

After all these troubles..a happy end..!

Did you drive your bike with the adapter plate installed?

Did you feel some difference?

Good job Jeff, you have the bar angle set the same as stock, if you find you want less angle move the bars out a little, I found my wrist is in a neutral position with this setting where the bars just touch the line.

IMG_3624.JPG

After all these troubles..a happy end..!Did you drive your bike with the adapter plate installed?

Did you feel some difference?
yep went out for a liitle test - see the Ride report i uplaoded - i have a video 5 mins of that trip

But i have to say yes i noticed the difference, feels more comfotable not so "stretched" i think a whole day riding will be the true test and wont have one of those for a couyple of weeks as im trtying to sell my other bike and need to be around on the weekends

Thinking of sitting from the helibar to the mv plate for my 05. Got a Russell on the way which will raise me 1-2". Had anyone used the heli with the mv plate to raise it up even further? Would the lines be long enough to do this. Is it even needed?

Thanks

Warp

I replaced Heli risers with MV plate. I thought about trying the Heli's on top but the mc and clutch hoses are already pretty tight.

How in depth would I be looking at replacing my lines if I was too try adding both the mv and heli risers cost wise?

Thinking of sitting from the helibar to the mv plate for my 05. Got a Russell on the way which will raise me 1-2". Had anyone used the heli with the mv plate to raise it up even further? Would the lines be long enough to do this. Is it even needed?
Thanks

Warp
In the picture of this post: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150618-running-bad-feeling-blessedlimped-home-walking-on-air/?p=1039995

You can see the Patriot's (Mike) bike.He has installed the two risers both!I think the one is Heli and the other is d&d.You could contact with him about if, and what modifications has does..If you will do the same modifications you can install the MV & Heli both i believe..I hope it helps.

ps.

Have a look also in the pictures of this post: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/137488-which-bar-riser-plate/?p=854818

I don't see any modification in the lines,but i am not sure 100%..

The problem could be in the clutch hose and in the brake hose,but if you will pull out the hoses from the guides in the triple clamp and a larger guide or without a guide for the clutch hose in the left side of the frame then i believe you can install the two risers both..

Yes, Mihalis - I spoke with Mike (Patriot) about this earlier and he did not replace his lines. (hahahaha He needs more shit on that thing, that pic never gets old.... )

I first need to get some seat time with the Russell, I don't really dislike the Heli, although I wouldn't mind a more straight bar angle, just don't want it to get too far away from me in the process....

Thanks guys...

Part of the MV faithful now. No pics because it looks the same as the others! Nice bit of kit as they say.

Pretty easy install; about an hour. I propped my tank up to help push the fuel lines forward to aid in installing the milled bracket extension. On my bike, you CAN lift the tank without disturbing the MV plate (very close though).

Riding impressions:

Since I have a Sargent seat, sitting close to the tank doesn't work well because of the shape of the seat. Sitting back in the "bucket" equates to the most comfort and the MV allows me to do this with less forward lean and weight on my hands than before. I'm still not bolt upright but more comfortable for sure. Haven't played with the bar angle yet but will at some point.

Overall, the advantages of the MV over the triple tree options include:

Less price

Easier install/un-install

Bar angle adjustment

Cheers.
smile.png

Latest posts