My Bike and I are Helmet Lock Super Models!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
I've been working with Scott (member: TownsendsFJR1300) on getting helmet locks installed on the Gen III and apparently my pics have made it to his ad and instructions. Swooo-eeeety!
punk.gif

Scott has developed a variety of left and right side brackets that hold helmet locks and combinations of electrical plugs. I pulled those damn things off and on for a week to get the fitment, instructions, and pictures just right. Scott was meticulous in ensuring the product looked factory made and fit right and he's succeeding in doing so.

If you find yourself having to carry your helment around because your side cases are full then I highly recommend you doing this upgrade.

Here's the link to his forum posting:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/2399-helmet-lock-brackets/?p=1021394

Left side is the same.

Right side has the new hanger preventing the bracket from moving forward far enough to allow the use of the the lock plus double plug version. The lock only and lock plus single plug brackets still work fine on the right side.

Thank you Bart and ALL YOUR HELP (Fairlaner too!)!

As Bart and Fairlaner noted, that hook on the right side (holds the brake line) made the right side a PIA. I have been able to modify the right side double outlet slightly to have a double outlet indeed fit the right side (inside hole of the bracket is NOW threaded)

Other than that, its same as the Gen II's.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
For the month of May, 2013, I'm offering FREE SHIPPING on all helmet lock bracket orders in both the US and Canada. Order forms must be received by the end of May.

All brackets are now frame matching, silver metallic with SS hardware.

Please see "vendor offers" for more pictures, etc or e-mail me direct @ [email protected]. Please mention in the header "FJR and the year bike".

Thanks, Scott

Not reducing the usefulness or design of this setup in any way. It does serve the intended purpose and does secure. I have and do use this setup as well as another method if I might mention that also works for me. That is running a cable through my full face helmet and through the arms or legs of riding gear and then secure to the bike with a good lock.

While both work, I have seen helmet straps cut by some one rendering helmets useless and in general ruining said helmet. But there are always pros and cons leaving our expensive gear unattended on our bikes. Take care and ride safe. PM.

I use them for light duty, short term security when my bags are full and I don't want to lug them around. I agree that I'd be hesitant to use them overnight or in a shady area.

It was designed to be used as most (if not all manufacturers) have been using a similar "hook" helmet lock set ups in the past. As we all know the FJR (and most BMW's) don't have ANY helmet locking system.

Years ago, (not many either), most bikes came with a helmet lock of some sort. Some of the much less expensive bikes have helmet locks installed from the factory.. It really wouldn't cost much more to produce and be welcomed by most riders. Its a top end bike, (like a Goldwing-which has two similar hook locks under the trunk). IMHO, the factory should be doing this standard..

Why Yamaha (and BMW for that fact), chose NOT to just weld a tab and bolt up a lock assembly for the FJR (that's been around for years) is beyond me... Liability should someone ride around with a helmet attached to it while riding around maybe??

For BMW's, I use the same design but slightly different dimensions and a BMW lock assembly as many BMW's are "helmet lockless" as well.. https://pirateslair.net/HelmetlockS.htm We can't get enough BMW lock assemblies to literally keep up with demand.. (BMW brackets are available in black or the same Yamaha silver color depending on the BMW frame color)