How much was my FJR lowered?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtrack

Reaction score
So I installed a set of Soupy's lowering links on my 2010 gen 2. Once installed I adjusted them a few flats, sat on the bike to test, adjusted a few more flats, sat on the bike to test.... until I got it exactly how I wanted.
But now I'm wondering exactly how much did I lower it? I didn't measure anything before I started so I don't really know if it's 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" or something else. (I also lowered the front by 1/2")
I'd like to know as I plan to shorten the center stand.
Does anyone have a known measurement from the floor to a particular landmark on an unlowered bike that I can compare my bike to?
Or is there a way to calculate the drop by measuring how long my soupy dogbones are?
Thanks

Measure center-to-center on your stock dog-bones and compare that measurement with the Soupy's on bike now. Accounting for the linkage ratio (approx. 2:1), this will provide a decent approximation.

~G

Last edited:
I used a Soupy's lowering kit with great results. I love it and so does my short legs! I am 5'5" and it simply works perfectly for me. I also installed their adjustable sidestand and bought their optional larger sidestand "foot" as well. The adjustable center stand I bought from T-Rex and installed it with zero problems. I didn't want to shorten my original center stand because I wanted it to be an engineered solution manufactured with the same strength as the original and the convenience of an easy installation. I am very happy with that product as well. Ymmv. Tom Johnson East Winthrop Maine

Measure center-to-center on your stock dog-bones and compare that measurement with the Soupy's on bike now. Accounting for the linkage ratio (approx. 2:1), this will provide a decent approximation.

~G
Please post your stock dogbones measurement. Ideally center hole to center hole.

I used a Soupy's lowering kit with great results. I love it and so does my short legs! I am 5'5" and it simply works perfectly for me. I also installed their adjustable sidestand and bought their optional larger sidestand "foot" as well. The adjustable center stand I bought from T-Rex and installed it with zero problems. I didn't want to shorten my original center stand because I wanted it to be an engineered solution manufactured with the same strength as the original and the convenience of an easy installation. I am very happy with that product as well. Ymmv. Tom Johnson East Winthrop Maine
The T-Rex adjustable center stand was my original plan but unfortunately my bike is a gen 2 and they only sell gen 3 stands.

Please post your stock dogbones measurement. Ideally center hole to center hole.
The original bones were 7 1/2" (190.5mm) My soupy bones are 8 1/8" (206.375mm)
I would be interested in your approach to this, and input from others if able. Thanks. 🏍️
I plan to use the instructions provided in a lowering pdf provided by someone in the FJR community. If I can't find the link I'll try to upload it here

The original bones were 7 1/2" (190.5mm) My soupy bones are 8 1/8" (206.375mm)

I plan to use the instructions provided in a lowering pdf provided by someone in the FJR community. If I can't find the link I'll try to upload it here
No expert here
But you changed the dogbone length by 16 mm x 2 (2:1) = 32mm which is approx . 1.33 inches.

But the geometry is such that a specific change in dogbone length doesn't translate into an identical change in ride height. In fact, increasing the dogbone length LOWERS the bike.

View attachment 8269
That was the initial discussion RK, how much was bike lowered. Comparing wheel travel vs. shock travel, yields approximately 2:1 overall linkage ratio. Just a guesstimate to help the OP.

~G

That was the initial discussion RK, how much was bike lowered. Comparing wheel travel vs. shock travel, yields approximately 2:1 overall linkage ratio. Just a guesstimate to help the OP.

~G
Sorry, I missed that. I wasn't aware of the approx 2:1 ratio, although I expect it isn't absolutely linear. As mentioned, shock settings can make a significant difference too.