California Lane Splitting/Sharing Guidelines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure Eddie was kidding, but you can never be sure. But on the subject:

A friend of mine is a Public Information Officer for the CHP, so I called her to ask why these guidelines had been published "now," as they don't represent a change in law or policy. It's because of a study done by the California Office of Traffic Safety that found 87% of California riders do split lanes (at least some of the time, of course), but only 53% of drivers in cars even know the practice is legal. Seven percent of drivers admitted to having used their vehicles to block or impede lane-splitting motorcyclists. So they decided there was a need to educate the public that it is not illegal.

They got a group of government and civilian interested parties (including groups representing riders) together to develop these specific guidelines and published them in the CHP and OTS websites. They are just guidelines, not rules. regulations, or law. The idea was to inform the public, and to help the police determine if a rider has met the "reasonable and prudent" standard.

I don't think they go nearly far enough to meet the stated goal of "educating the public" and "improving public safety by raising awareness," primarily because they're published only in a place (government agency websites behind a "motorcycle safety" tab) that would be sought out only by motorcycle riders. I'd rather reach the 47% of drivers who think it's illegal, and especially the 7% who are actively trying to kill us.

A useful public awareness campaign would go much farther. Caltrans maintains several hundred changeable traffic signs to announce hazards and delays, and to show special messages like Amber Alerts. A while back, the message below was shown for a few weeks. I think I heard at the time that a federal grant was involved.

UTI1501405_t940.jpg

I would like to see them used for a specific message that would actually reach the car-driving public, instead of an obscure website that gets a couple dozen hits a month. Why not flash a message occasionally that reads "Motorcycle lane-splitting is LEGAL in California" or "Motorcycles OK in Diamond Lane during rush hour?" Nevada has signs like this several places as you come into the state that say "Lane Splitting is ILLEGAL in Nevada!" If they can do that . . .

I'm gonna write some letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the laws have been changed in recent years, lane spliting is not legal. It's not illegal. For many years the DMV hand books in CA, both for autos and motorcycles, stated it was legal for motorcycles to share a lane. In the early 2000s that info started to disapear from the hand books. When talking to various law inforcement officers over the years I was told that it was a judgement call on the part of the officer. Speed seem to be the main factor. To much speed could be translated to a unsafe lane change or eccesive lane change, depending on the conditions, and would get you a ticket.

Unless the laws have been changed in recent years, lane spliting is not legal. It's not illegal. For many years the DMV hand books in CA, both for autos and motorcycles, stated it was legal for motorcycles to share a lane. In the early 2000s that info started to disapear from the hand books. When talking to various law inforcement officers over the years I was told that it was a judgement call on the part of the officer. Speed seem to be the main factor. To much speed could be translated to a unsafe lane change or eccesive lane change, depending on the conditions, and would get you a ticket.
Gotta call you on that, Doc. We don't need a law that says something--anything--is legal. The stuff that isn't legal is the stuff the law addresses. If it's not prohibited (illegal), it's legal. Here's a section of a Wikipedia article on the topic. (Their links--not relevant. And by the way, we in America see things in the way the article ascribes to the English.)

Everything which is not forbidden is allowed is a constitutional principle of English law — an essential freedom of the ordinary citizen. The converse principle — everything which is not allowed is forbidden — applies to public authorities, whose actions are limited to the powers explicitly granted to them by law.[1]

National traditions

The jocular saying is that, in England, "everything which is not forbidden is allowed", while, in Germany, the opposite applies, so "everything which is not allowed is forbidden". This may be extended to France — "everything is allowed even if it is forbidden"[2] — and Russia where "everything is forbidden, even that which is expressly allowed".[3] While in North Korea it is said that "everything that is not forbidden is compulsory"[4]

It may be a minor point, but it's a question of how people look at something. Do we--here in California, where lane splitting is legal--want to tell the public that lane splitting is in fact "legal?" Or do we want to tell them it is "not illegal?" All that does is confuse the issue, and as far as I'm concerned, at least dilutes the point, and probably casts more negative light on the whole issue of lane splitting.

The police can always exercise judgement and discretion, if a driver is being reckless, careless, or dangerous to himself or others.

By the way, I wondered about your comment about the language in the CA Drivers' Handbook, so I looked it up. The following excerpts on "Sharing the Road/Motorcycles" seem to apply:

"Follow these rules to respect the right-of-way and safely share the road with motorcyclists:

• Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.
  • Never try to pass a motorcycle in the same lane you are sharing with the motorcycle.
  • Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles; this is commonly called 'lane splitting.' "
That third bullet is the one that applies to the motorcycle--they "can legally travel. . ." The phrase "not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles" in the first bullet applies to car drivers "sharing the road with motorcycles." The only reason I can imagine why it would NOT be illegal for a car to share a lane with a motorcycle is to protect a car driver from inadvertently committing a violation when a motorcycle moves into his lane. But the driver can not overtake and pass a motorcycle that is occupying a lane (like when filtering forward at a red light). That would be obviously unsafe, and a LEO seeing this would have no problem writing a ticket on that basis alone.

I've also updated the general California Motorcycling Laws and Resources post to include this information.
So, this splitting thing is even allowed in Temple City?

biggrin.png

Here too from James Burleigh.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150669-front-page-article-today-san-francisco-chronicle-way-to-go/

"Splitting the difference: It's legal for motorcycles to zip between cars, but now the CHP has set up sensible rules."

I love getting the word out to the public that this is legal behavior. As part of getting the word out, I recently posted in FB: "Just a reminder, in California it is legal for motorcycles to split lanes between cars. It's not that California is an anomaly. It's that the other 49 states are. Every country in the world except the USA allows motorcycles to share lanes with cars (safely, responsibly)."

I love the notation "Don't rely on loud pipes to keep you safe...", but they should've noted "Pirates will be cited if they don't blip the throttle at least a dozen times for each 1/8 mile traveled" ( no citations would ever be written for this
rolleyes.gif
)

My best lane splitting experience...

Heading south on I-5 through Norwalk, I see a bike coming up on my tail fast. I jump into a lane to let him by, and its an LA County Sheriff Motor Officer! I jump in behind him and it was like following Moses through the Red Sea....

My best lane splitting experience...
Heading south on I-5 through Norwalk, I see a bike coming up on my tail fast. I jump into a lane to let him by, and its an LA County Sheriff Motor Officer! I jump in behind him and it was like following Moses through the Red Sea....
I had something similar, with a twist...

I was "sharing" in the HOV lane of I-210 through Pasadena, California, and noticed a bike coming up from behind me. I pulled to the left side of the lane to let him by, and sure enough it was a CHP motor on routine patrol. I pulled in right behind him to ride the wave, with the flow-of-traffic in both the HOV and mainline freeway doing about 25 and us going about 35.

About a mile down the road, we come up on an SUV riding the far-left of the #1 lane, with a wide step-van in the HOV lane, which effectively blocked us from passing. After 30 seconds or so, the SUV notices the CHP bike, and moves over in his lane. The CHP officer pulls up next to the guy's side window, gives him 10 seconds of eye contact, shakes his head just a little, and then we all continue on our way. The look on the SUV drivers face when he was getting stared down by the CHP rider was priceless.

Nice on both of those last posts. Cool stories. But the "parting like the Red Sea" quote reminded me of what Glas1/2full--Dan--said to me after we rode down I-80 from San Francisco together last year, splitting lanes all the way. Reminded me of it cuz he used the exact same phrase.

Friday afternoon, heavy traffic, and I led the way with my Clearwater Krista LEDs on--not even full brightness, but sooo noticeable. Dan was amazed how the motorcycle lane (what I call it, anyway) widened up for us, way more than he'd ever had it do for him alone. Maybe they thought we were cops, I dunno. It always helps if they see you.

But I bet those red and blue ones would have worked even better!
smile.png

Nice on both of those last posts. Cool stories. But the "parting like the Red Sea" quote reminded me of what Glas1/2full--Dan--said to me after we rode down I-80 from San Francisco together last year, splitting lanes all the way. Reminded me of it cuz he used the exact same phrase.
Friday afternoon, heavy traffic, and I led the way with my Clearwater Krista LEDs on--not even full brightness, but sooo noticeable. Dan was amazed how the motorcycle lane (what I call it, anyway) widened up for us, way more than he'd ever had it do for him alone. Maybe they thought we were cops, I dunno. Italways helps if they see you.

But I bet those red and blue ones would have worked even better!
smile.png
Thanks to CHP (and a lot of local departments in OC) using BMWs, and most people unable to tell bikes apart, I used to get a lot of people moving out of my way when I had my 04 FJR, maybe they thought I was a cop...

I road up to Belmont to see my son yesterday, and after dinner started back down the 101 in heavy, Bay Area commuter traffic. (The GPS showed 71 minutes of "severe traffic" delays between Belmont and Morgan Hill.)

Unlike most HOV lanes in Southern California, the 101 HOV lane has a wide shoulder on the left for much of the way. I had a lot of car drivers -- at least 8 or 10 -- pull way over into the shoulder to make room for me -- which wasn't necessary, but was appreciated. Like AVGeek, I think they thought I was a LEO -- I guess the side bags, aux lights, and right-at-sunset dusk make it an easy mistake.

Talked to a guy at work about this, and I don't think he knew beforhand that I am an avid rider. He says that there is a new law that motorcycles can only split up to 35 MPH, and only 10 MPH faster than traffic. He went on to say that he moves in motorcycles way if they aren't following the "law." I told him there was no law and that these were guidelines, and he did not believe it.

I am glad they published these guidelines, but this lived for about 2 seconds in the media... not long enough to properly educate the non-riding public.

I believe that if this guy were to move into a bikes way and it ended up in an accident, and there was a Go-Pro or a strong witness he would be in deep do-do.

Just a new guys thoughts; as a long time rider, but a new person living in CA--until I moved here I had never heard of lane splitting or lane sharing. (It's not one of those things you would typically read up on when visiting while riding). 00

A few weeks ago I was driving in an auto, a guy on 2 wheels passed me and nearly took off my mirror. Later, I mentioned this to some riders and that's when I found out about lane splitting.

I had just taken the CA written exam and the study guide said .."motorcycles need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe". IMHO I have to agree and I frown every time I see it.

I had just taken the CA written exam and the study guide said .."motorcycles need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe". IMHO I have to agree and I frown every time I see it.
When done properly, lane sharing is a safe and efficient way for experienced riders to move through congested traffic areas. The Study Guide is intended for new riders, who should not be lane sharing, so its advice is appropriate for the targeted audience.

Lane sharing allows me to choose the best path for my own safety. If you sit in stop-and-go traffic without lane sharing, you're safety is completely dependent on the guy behind you.