California Lane Splitting/Sharing Guidelines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a new guys thoughts; as a long time rider, but a new person living in CA--until I moved here I had never heard of lane splitting or lane sharing. (It's not one of those things you would typically read up on when visiting while riding). 00
A few weeks ago I was driving in an auto, a guy on 2 wheels passed me and nearly took off my mirror. Later, I mentioned this to some riders and that's when I found out about lane splitting.

I had just taken the CA written exam and the study guide said .."motorcycles need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe". IMHO I have to agree and I frown every time I see it.
I moved out to CA back in '85, and I still remember where I was when a biker "nearly took my mirror" off. Hwy 91 just as I was leaving Buena Park heading East. I thought what the frick does he think he's doing??!! OK, so I spoke stronger French back then. But shortly after I had learned that it was legal in CA.

I have to admit, years later when I got my 2nd bike (1st in CA), it didn't take me long to begin taking advantage of such a wonderful priviledge. Moved back to the Land of Snow (and more snow) in '04 and boy howdy do I ever miss splitting lanes. Went back to Cali in '11 for a visit and enjoyed some of that "priviledge" all over again. In the venerable words of Ralph Kramden "How Sweeeet it is!".

Here, sitting at a red signal light, many cars back, it's such an inner struggle to not just ease up on the clutch and slide up to the front. <sigh>

Never crossed the border out of here without feeling the same thing, Mike. After you've been able to do it, it just feels so wrong not to. What a waste, sitting in heavy traffic in Portland a couple summers ago (stopped dead, that is, and on the freeway) with a big old 4-foot wide motorcycle lane beckoning to me all the way out of sight ahead.

And don't worry, RK, it's not compulsory. You might not end up staying with the group you start out with tho.
rolleyes.gif

Lane sharing is the entire reason why I started riding on the street...I certainly would like to see it spread to other states....

I recently picked up a 2009 DR650 and used it to commute to work. I was near Folsom, CA before heading home during rush hour traffic.

As the traffic slowed to a stop I started to ride in the space next to the cars in the fast lane, between lane 1&2, at a pace slow enough for me to feel safe.

I noticed another bike behind me, 6 or 8 cars back, was traveling at about the same speed as I was. I tend to get out of the way of faster bikes and let them pass.

As I approached a Sheriff car, I noticed he did not leave me much room to pass by. I dropped my speed to his, which was stop and go, and decided not to pass.

As I noticed the bike behind me closing in I moved over to the left part of the fast lane and the other bike pulled up next to me.

The CHP motor officer gave me a thumbs up and said it was a good move to avoid passing a cop car. He then went back to splitting lanes and disappeared.

I really enjoy riding motorcycles on the northern California freeways, the cops are nice and people do move over to let you by, even when I am on a dualsport.

Except some Sheriff cars, and one female CHP, most can recognize a skilled rider. I did have one CHP near Pasadena that waved for me to follow him as we split lanes together.

Just a suggestion....but I think a video during some really heavy congestion is in order here.

Some of us former Californicators could then come here to get a lil' fix. But then it should be strictly referred to as a Training Video. Promote safety first ya know.
smile.png

Sunday afternoon summertime traffic, westbound on I-80 & 50, is legendary, but at the end of the long July 4th holiday it was a parking lot/nightmare. At the IBR checkpoint in Sacramento I overheard MANY arriving competitors exclaim with glee:

"Sure glad we can lane split in California!"

Last edited by a moderator:
That wasn't lane sharing that was lane passing.

Numerous laws broken here.

1. Speeding

2. Crossing Double yellow

3. Filming in LA without a permit.

4. Riding while British

5. Transgressing the unwritten law.

6. etc

Otherwise this is totally legal.

Just a suggestion....but I think a video during some really heavy congestion is in order here.
Some of us former Californicators could then come here to get a lil' fix. But then it should be strictly referred to as a Training Video. Promote safety first ya know.
smile.png
<Snip>

Last edited by a moderator: