New Tom Tom Rider coming out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see - I have a just delivered zumo 665 with Touratech mount waiting to be installed on my 13.

Tom-Tom for $299.

Is XM radio and Weather worth $500 to me? Hmmmm......

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great! I was having a hard time justifing a Zumo to replace my old Garmen 550 since I don't listen to music on the bike and I can get weather on my phone.

Strange. Their announced £330 GBP price translates to, near as makes no difference, $500 US.

Strange. Their announced £330 GBP price translates to, near as makes no difference, $500 US.
Not strange. We usually pay pound per dollar on consumer items. FJR1300A is £13999, but that includes all delivery charges, labour for the 600 mile service, all taxes except for a registration fee and the first year's road tax (less than £100???).
I am a Tomtom fan, have much less frustration with it than a Garmin user I know.

Looks like an interesting alternative to the Zumo for sure, especially if you don't need all the bells and whistles.

I'll be keeping an eye out for it here in Canuckistan...

Griff

Given my recent experiences with my TomTom for my car, I think I'd pass. Granted it is better than the Garmin it replaced, the bells and whistles on it are starting to fail at less than a year old. While that may not translate to other TT's, I am a bit sour.

Given my recent experiences with my TomTom for my car, I think I'd pass. Granted it is better than the Garmin it replaced, the bells and whistles on it are starting to fail at less than a year old. While that may not translate to other TT's, I am a bit sour.
I'm very happy with my Tomtom Rider Pro. It's seen me over many parts of the UK and several continental countries, and simply works.
Bells and whistles? Not sure what you are referring to. The Rider's only connections to the outside world are via Bluetooth for sound and mobile phone, and a USB connection for charging and computer connection.

Preprogramming routes via computer is tedious but functional, route guidance is much better than a friends Garmin. That makes him very angry at times. My Tomtom has never made me angry.

Will it have traffic alerts? I bought the traffic antenna for my zumo 550 a couple years ago and love it.

Will it have traffic alerts? I bought the traffic antenna for my zumo 550 a couple years ago and love it.
I believe mine can give traffic alerts via data derived through a cellphone. I've never used this, so can't comment on its performance.

This would obviously be country specific, so you would have to check with whoever would be supplying it to you.

I still have an original Tom Tom Rider one! No real problems with the TT itself but I did have to 'doctor' the supplied cradle which must have been designed by an ijit! Once I got that sorted (several years ago) it has worked without fail. I don't have any plans to replace it.

Sounds great! I was having a hard time justifing a Zumo to replace my old Garmen 550 since I don't listen to music on the bike and I can get weather on my phone.
Wait... why would you want to replace a zumo 550?

As far as I know they (any company) still have not made a better motorcycle GPS.

The original Tomtom Rider and Rider 2 can access traffic alerts through a BT connection to a mobile phone. It's a subscription service. I use it a bit. It has helped me a few times to avoid jams and its something to look at on long boring stretches. The later versions (Urban and the brand new one) don't have this option so you could argue they are dumbed down in comparison. I suspect this is cos so few took up the Traffic Option. Tomtom now offer a HD traffic service in some countries which is much better than the GPRS service. The Riders don't have access to this. FWIW I have had my Rider 2 since they came out and its been a great device. Tomtom are a bit crap on the customer service front but generally they get there in the end.

This vid is in Dutch (I think) but shows a lot of the functions.... If this comes out at $299 I think I'll sell my Rider 2 and get it, just for the bigger screen. I wonder if the cradle would be the same? That would make it an even easier decision for me.... FF to 6 1/2 minutes to see the physical size...

Wait... why would you want to replace a zumo 550?

As far as I know they (any company) still have not made a better motorcycle GPS.
it just a waterproof Nuvi 550. I only wish it was the Zumo.