New Tom Tom Rider coming out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with TomTom Customer Service for North America on the phone yesterday - no official release date for US and Canada yet, but they confirm that it will be available here... sometime.

Griff

From the Amazon.com description:

"

xsePbSyOjZ_features_rider_winding.gif

Plan a thrill Winding RoutesPlan to have an unexpectedly adrenaline-filled ride. All you have to do is press Winding Routes, which allows you to choose the route with the most curves, so that you can avoid the boring straights."

Really? Wonder how well this will work?

This appears to be almost as good as a Zumo 550, but not quite.

They do not say if you can hard-wire it to an intercom system, just that it has a bluetooth output. For many people that would not work well.

Since the only audio out is GPS prompts and cell phone audio, it won't be an A2DP (stereo) connection, just "headset" so no advantage over zumo there.

There is no SD card slot, so no way to expand the memory in the future.

No audio apps (MP3, XM radio or audio books).

The one really nice feature they talk about is route sharing via bluetooth. If that means that a bunch of TT Rider users could meet up at a coffee shop and the ride leader could bluetooth everyone the days routes, that would be kind of cool. But most other folks won't be using Riders, so that negates that feature.

The rest of it looks like it was spewed out by the marketing mavens. Lots of puffery of no real substance.

From the Amazon.com description:"

[img=[URL="https://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplus/detail-page/xsePbSyOjZ_features_rider_winding.gif%5D"]https://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplus/detail-page/xsePbSyOjZ_features_rider_winding.gif][/URL]

Plan a thrill

Winding Routes

Plan to have an unexpectedly adrenaline-filled ride. All you have to do is press Winding Routes, which allows you to choose the route with the most curves, so that you can avoid the boring straights."

Really? Wonder how well this will work?
If it's anything like my Rider Pro (the previous generation), it works very well. But only if there are some winding roads between where you are and where you're going!
Mine has three levels of windingness, I generally put mine to the middle setting. It will typically add between 25-100% to the journey time, and I often use it when I know where I want to get to, but don't mind taking a longer (and more fun) route.

[edit] One example, a route I used on my way to catch a ferry to Spain.

I've asked Tomtom to calculate a route three ways, its summary screen shows:

(Click on image for larger view)

Fastest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Winding roads (Mid setting) . . . . Winding roads (Max setting)

You also have other choices, e.g. no motorways:

"Shortest" can be a bit dodgy around where I live, there are a lot of "roads" that are really farm tracks. Can make for an "interesting" ride.

I confess to being a fan of the Tomtom, having seen some of the problems a friend has with his Garmin (once resulting in him throwing it onto the ground in frustration), I'm very happy with it.

I'm on my second. The first was the original Rider. During the time I had it, it had several software updates (a painless process). Eventually the contacts to the cradle became unreliable, and the touch screen started to act up. I had no hesitation in getting another Tomtom, but my new one was supplied with a non-powered cradle, I had to pay extra for a powered cradle. I believe the latest one is supplied with a powered cradle.

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping to see a live version soon.

I'd like a Zumo 550... but no longer available, and not sure I need all the bells and whistles that the newer Zumos come with. Funny that TomTom seems more popular in Europe and Garmin on this side of the puddle.

For the right price, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Griff

I'm not opposed to buying used or refurb products when they are a known good quantity.

Sure beats the hell out of buying some new fangled product that doesn't actually perform.

YMMV

Hoping to see a live version soon.
I'd like a Zumo 550... but no longer available, and not sure I need all the bells and whistles that the newer Zumos come with. Funny that TomTom seems more popular in Europe and Garmin on this side of the puddle.

For the right price, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Griff
Tom-Tom is a European company, Garmin is US based...

If those prices are accurate--$281 was one of them....I think this will be quite a bargain and should become a pretty popular farkle.

I read on a forum a guy claiming to be a Tom Tom employee that the "official release date" is May 15 for USA. Not sure about C (eh?) N (eh?) D (eh?)....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wanting an inexpensive, waterproof, no frills unit for a while now. All I want to know is where I am and if there's a 270 curve coming up on me. This looks like it will do the trick. I'm jumping on this puppy dog as soon as it's available. Thanks for the info Guys!
good.gif
yes.gif

If those prices are accurate--$281 was one of them....I think this will be quite a bargain and should become a pretty popular farkle.
I did a little researching and found that valleyseek.com, the place that has it for $281, has a terrible reputation. However, the other two online stores look fine.