A new Valkyrie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew as soon as a threw a leg over my 2004 FJR.
lmaosmiley.gif

Funny, I was at a bike dealer yesterday to plunk down some money for a used bike, we walked by the F6B and I commented how Honda really screwed that up and it was fugly....... I also said they should have brought back the Valkyrie instead.... and now you post it..... I like the new Valkyrie a little better, but it's still fugly and hasn't got the charm of the old one...... but now at least they can ditch the F6B (I hope. Did I mention it's FUGLY....).

Last edited by a moderator:
Put your eye out on this baby from Honda, Son of Rune: Ya, but it does have upside down forks...

2014-Honda-CTX1300_FR34_Blue-590x393.jpg

2014-Honda-CTX1300_Front.jpg

2014 Honda CTX1300 and CTX1300 Deluxe –

First Look An ST1300 gets the Comfort, Technology and eXperience treatment.

Welcome to the second installment of Honda’s Comfort Technology eXperience series (CTX), the CTX1300 and CTX1300 Deluxe. It’s safe to say nobody really saw this one coming (until the spy shots we ran last week of the bike on a commercial shoot in LA), but it actually makes a lot of sense. The ST1300 is no longer fashionable, but its V-4 powerplant is still a jewel—and that longitudinally mounted 1261cc engine is what the CTX gets, displayed to really nice effect with its four chrome exhaust headers giving the bike a look like a cross between a Honda Guzzi and a T-bucket roadster. Okay, maybe not. Slight tuning changes, including lower compression and taller gearing compared to the ST, are meant to give the CTX better around-town rideability and fuel economy: its tachometer numbers turn red at 7000.

What it doesn’t get is a Dual Clutch Transmission. Honda says it didn’t want to bump the price up any higher than the $17K ballpark it’s already in with the ST’s manual five-speed gearbox, and the company also surmises this is a bike for more experienced riders anyway.

The CTX series, Honda says, is all about combining higher levels of comfort and technology to create a unique ride, this time with distinctive V-4 engine pulse and exhaust note; the dual exhausts actually sounded pretty burly in the American Honda compound during our walk-around preview of the bike. And the low, 29.1-inch seat and cruiser ergos make it accessible to a wide variety of North American body styles and riding tastes. Passenger accommodations seem really good, too. The detachable hard bags protrude almost exactly as far as the not-too-wide mirrors, which should make this one a superb commuter. It’s your basic Honda bagger, quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Gold Wing F6B.

For a few dollars more, the Deluxe model adds an audio package with Bluetooth connectivity (it’ll play songs off your phone cordlessly, which you can charge up with the USB outlet in the right cubbyhole), self-cancelling turn signals, ABS and Traction Control—plus blacked-out styling elements.

...we walked by the F6B and I commented how Honda really screwed that up and it was fugly......(I hope. Did I mention it's FUGLY....).
100% disagree. I like the looks of the F6B. 1800cc 6cyl bagger is great. Trusted / Proven Goldwing chassis & engine.

The only downside for purchasing the F6B is (2) things:

• Price - $20k
    uhoh.gif
  • No cruise control ??????
    fool.gif
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder however. On looks & ergo's I really liked it in person...but I'm def not purchasing one.

I've been hearing that the latest all new version of the ST1300 (perhaps with a re-tuned VFR1200 motor) is due out any day now.

Yeah - I thought that was it. Oh well, die hard red-wing fans will not have to farkle up a Viffer if they want a sport touring bike now.

It feels like we are a dying breed. What is wrong with all of these people?

Bought my first bike the year the Valkyries came out. I remember waiting on them to bring the bike around and I was looking at this cruiser with a huge stonkin engine hanging out the side thinking that this thing was all badass. While the specs are nice on the new one, that's NOT the first thought that comes to mind with that styling. Not sure what you are doing Honda, but you sure have managed to shed the "Bland" image you had. I don't think it's a step in the right direction though.

Yeah - I thought that was it. Oh well, die hard red-wing fans will not have to farkle up a Viffer if they want a sport touring bike now.
Is this what Honda marketing has found out we want, or is Honda engineering telling us that this is what they think we like? If the Sport/Tour category has become a tough market, create a new market. It seems like the S/T market has lots of old farts (Have you been to any FJR events?), so this is perhaps a way to appeal(?) to the younger riders?

Is this what Honda marketing has found out we want, or is Honda engineering telling us that this is what they think we like? If the Sport/Tour category has become a tough market, create a new market. It seems like the S/T market has lots of old farts (Have you been to any FJR events?), so this is perhaps a way to appeal(?) to the younger riders?
I think these new Hondas are marketed more towards the aging cruiser crowd who might be ready for a more sophisticated machine.

These are baggers, not sport tourers. Big difference IMO. It is the Asian version of this:

Billys%20Black%20Bagger2.jpg

Unfortunately there is a larger market in the US for baggers than for ST bikes these days.

I think these new Hondas are marketed more towards the aging cruiser crowd who might be ready for a more sophisticated machine.
The Honda bagger (minus its price tag & no cruise control fail) to me is more for "younger" riders that want a more powerful & sophisticated bagger but still have the HP, Torque and more modern Tech than your traditional HD V-twin baggers. The F6B has a much more modern look & appeal which I would think your older traditional riders would bristle at. Most older traditional HD Bagger riders in general don't like change, don't like modern styling...etc.

Unfortunately there is a larger market in the US for baggers than for ST bikes these days.
ST have always & will always be a much smaller market. But that's ok.

That being said if money grew on tree's I'd love to have a: Bagger, Bobber, Dual Sport, ST & Sportbike all in my garage. They all offer something different with a different riding objective & mindset.

I guess I am just disappointed in Honda. The CTX 1300 uses the old ST1300 engine but it is detuned. Why? 1500 RPM lower redline than the ST. Longer wheelbase. Wider tires front and rear. Definitely not any sort of competition for an FJR.

The F6B is a useful bike but from what I am hearing they are not selling due to lack of Cruise Control. The Harley it is supposedly aimed at has CC. Honda even changed up the wiring harness to make it impossible to retrofit the GoldWing CC. Why? And Honda will not ever make a change mid line up.

You guys should appreciate how Yamaha has handled the evolution of the FJR. They started out with a fantastic bike with the Gen 1. They made changes to "improve" and modernize with the Gen 2. The mistakes of the '06 and '07 were corrected. Then the Gen 3 took us to a whole new level. When we all cried out about the ridiculous 80 mph CC, they changed that in one model year!

I have no reason to swap out my ST1300 right now but if I had the money I would be on a '14 FJR.

You guys should appreciate how Yamaha has handled the evolution of the FJR. They started out with a fantastic bike with the Gen 1. They made changes to "improve" and modernize with the Gen 2. The mistakes of the '06 and '07 were corrected. Then the Gen 3 took us to a whole new level. When we all cried out about the ridiculous 80 mph CC, they changed that in one model year!
I have no reason to swap out my ST1300 right now but if I had the money I would be on a '14 FJR.
We all do. That's why the Yamaha FJR is always the highest rated ST bike out there for the money and the damn things just run & run & run.

Which I've always wondered...how did Honda ST rider ever make a home here on a FJR site?