Dog bone length

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblackburn

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the standard length is of the factory fitted dog bone ?, I bought a new to me fjr yesterday and feel that the bike sits a little low, coming from a vfr750fv which I heavyly modified suspension on,

My second question is about fork seals and bushes, are they the same for the ABS bikes and non ABS bikes and does the year of manufacture have any bearing on the items, as they are all 48mm forks.

thanks in advance for your invaluable help.

kev

Does anyone know what the standard length is of the factory fitted dog bone ?
Using "dogbone length" in the search engine I easily find this thread and others that may answer it. Also, I believe the aftermarket units will be much more conspicuous and stamped with brand names vs. the standard steel ones.

fork seals and bushes, are they the same for the ABS bikes and non ABS bikes and does the year of manufacture have any bearing on the items
As for seals...particular on a Euro '02...which I believe is like the North American '03....they changed forks for the American '04 at least for bosses. I'd consult the various microfiche sources available online. They may be the same Euro '01 to '05, but I'm not sure and would check myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard dogbones have hole centres of 190mm
My Gen I dogbones are 162mm center to center and 190mm overall.

Also, look at how much the forks stick out of the top of the triple tree, they shouldn't stick out more than 1/8" or so.

If the bike has been lowered it will be almost impossible to get it up on the center stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, the bike is extremely difficult to get on the centre stand.

This would account for the handling then, very heavy on the front end, I spent a lot of time sorting the vfr, so that it handled very well,

Forks don't stick out of the top yoke, and are pretty much flush, I'm off out to the garage with the tape measure.

I'll be back soon

Hi,

dogbones on the bike measure 160mm hole centre to centre, gen 1 bike, so are these standard length ? and it's bloody difficult to get it on the centre stand.

Even when everything is stock, until you get the correct step on the center stand-pull up behind the seat, it is work to put it on the center stand.

That is another good improvement on the Gen 3, so much easier to get on the center stand.

Hi,dogbones on the bike measure 160mm hole centre to centre, gen 1 bike, so are these standard length ? and it's bloody difficult to get it on the centre stand.
Yes, standard Gen 1 dogbone length.

I've had a chance to put a fair number of FJRs on the center stand, they are not all equal in effort. The easiest ones were real easy and the hardest ones were not hard. There is a technique to pressing down on the foot lever of the center stand and pulling back and up using the hand hold in the frame. My '04 pops up so easy that it often skids/scrapes backward from excess force.

You may want to give us a measurement of your frame to the ground using a convenient measurement point. There is a reasonable chance that your rear suspension is tired and sagged. Have you tried the center stand when the pre-load is set to Hard?