defective tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

un4gvn

Reaction score
I put a set of Bridgestone Bt-021s on my 06 about a month ago and they were working really well for me. However, I took an 1800 mile ride over the last 4 days and checked them before I left on the trip. The tires were fine (only 2000 miles on them at that point). The tire pressures were also just fine. About half way through my trip the bike developed a serious headshake and started pushing in the corners. I pulled off to check it out and the pressures were still fine, but the front tire were severely cupped on both sides and looked great down the middle. I finished the ride and inspected the once I got home. The Front tire is now completely slick on both sides and has good tread down the middle. This tire has less than 4,000 miles on it and the rear still has half its life left. I have never gone through front tires twice as fast as rears. I usually run Pilot roads and get 8-10 k miles out of those.

P.S.

The ride was 90% twisties- BRP, Skyline dr., A 350 mile loop in WV, 200 or so in eastern KY, and some TN/N.GA mountains.

If the tire is indeed not defective, I guess I have bragging rights for wearing the sides out before the middle!

What pressure were you running in the front?
38 psi front, 42 rear. I have always ran those pressures and had good results. Next time I ride out that way I will be sure to post up. If you want to see the trip phots check my website, I couldn't find a road in WV that I didnt like! You guys that live up there have the mecca of twisty roads in your backyards.

www.yamatech2003.com

Same here, loved the BT-021's at the start, but less that 4,000 miles & the front is bald on both sides & down to the center wear bar. I'm going to try the PR2's next.

So I imagine that your tires look something like the picture below?

Thanks Bridgestone for 3800 freakin miles. :( My Avon Azaro front went 9600 miles and looked better when I threw it away. By far the worst tires I have owned!! No more BT021's for me!

JW

DSC_6885.jpg