Muzzy Conclusion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSWATCop

Reaction score
MUZZY UPDATE:

I spoke w/ Curt Dorn in Muzzy Tech and he told me that I was supplied w/ the new re-engineered system for the 06 FJR. He further stated that I am the first person to call them w/ clearance/contact issues. He confirmed that my install was correct (by pics). The Muzzy system uses 2" pipe instead of the stock's 1.5 inch pipes. He was decent in our conversation and Muzzy is giving me a refund and covering all shipping charges. I will be back to stock tomorrow.

Like I said, Muzzy did not give me any grief in handling this. If you are considering the Muzzy full system for your 06 FJR take this thread into account. If you ride aggressively in the twisties you might have some issues w/ right handers. I am a pretty good rider but by no means am I a Rossi or Hayden. I was not pushing the bike that hard when contact happened. Please watch yourself w/ this system and make sure it is for you. You will love the sound, looks, weight savings, and HP increase.

At least Muzzy stood behind the product.

Glad you got some resolution, Try to be a little easier on your knuckles with this change out!!

So maybe too early to ask, what's your future plans? Stay with stock or try something else?

-jwilly

I have just put the stock system back on the bike. Still buttoning things up and getting ready to change the PCIII map. I am thinking about Dale Walkers system but I have heard there are clearance issues there as well. Slip-ons? Maybe. Muzzy offered to exchange my full system for stainless slip-ons and pay me the difference. I really wanted the performance gains. I don't know; maybe I'll put the money towards a suspension upgrade. Traxxions AK-20 cartridges give me wood. We'll just have to see.

I have just put the stock system back on the bike. Still buttoning things up and getting ready to change the PCIII map. I am thinking about Dale Walkers system but I have heard there are clearance issues there as well. Slip-ons? Maybe. Muzzy offered to exchange my full system for stainless slip-ons and pay me the difference. I really wanted the performance gains. I don't know; maybe I'll put the money towards a suspension upgrade. Traxxions AK-20 cartridges give me wood. We'll just have to see.
I have the AK20 front forks and Penske 8981 shock and Muzzy full system. No clearance problems but I admit to being conservative on the street. Four crushed vertabrae cured me of overly aggressive street riding back in '77.

I installed the full Muzzy system on my '05 on Sunday afternoon. I probably would not have bought it after reading about your clearance problems, but I already had the system. It looks like the footpeg will touch down before the pipe touches, and I have not dragged the peg yet so I'm probably OK, but the footpeg is designed to fold up if it does touch, right!

There does seem to be room for more clearance if the pipe were bent in closer to the frame. It would probably be more complex, and more expensive, if they bent it that way, but I think it would be worth it to get that extra clearance. At this point I plan on trying it out very carefully to see if I have any clearance issues. I intentionally ride with the suspension a bit soft to take it easy on my back so I don't want to crank the shock up.

I installed the full Muzzy system on my '05 on Sunday afternoon. I probably would not have bought it after reading about your clearance problems, but I already had the system. It looks like the footpeg will touch down before the pipe touches, and I have not dragged the peg yet so I'm probably OK, but the footpeg is designed to fold up if it does touch, right!
There does seem to be room for more clearance if the pipe were bent in closer to the frame. It would probably be more complex, and more expensive, if they bent it that way, but I think it would be worth it to get that extra clearance.
I have an '05 with the pipe still on order from the GB. Like you, I wouldn't have bought it if this thread had hit the board before the GB. No bitch with anyone involved with the GB, but I'm a little dumbfounded that Muzzy would redesign a pipe BECAUSE of clearance issues and not redesign the clearance issue out of the product.

Two things at this point:

(1) Is this clearance issue also a problem on '05 and older FJRs? I haven't read anything that tells me this is only an issue on '06 and '07 models. Is there a difference in design of the bike or pipe between these years?

(2) IF the pipe touches down before the right side peg scraper on the foot peg, this just isn't going to work. It's not like it's difficult at all to get the FJR's peg scrapers on the blacktop and mine have ground off flat spots. This pipe is NOT going to work if going far enough to touch the right peg scraper means grinding the pipe or levering the rear wheel off the ground. Bad enough if the pipe touches just after the peg scraper, but before?

I guess I better call Muzzy before my pipe arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muzzy is still in denial. I called " Dave " at Muzzy to cancel my order for the Quiet Core I was going to add to the pipe. He was adamant and went on about how the pipe is redesigned and would not touch down... could never happen....... then I told him of two reports on the board of it grinding... " OK FINE... order cancelled " were his next words, then he hung up the phone ! :unsure:

I'm still waiting for a reply from Partmonster about how to have the Muzzy picked up and credited. With the lean angles I run two up there's no way I'm about to install this pipe. Major Bummer as I'd been looking forward to installing this system for a while ! :huh:

Highlander...from what I've heard...the earlier models (02-05) with updated suspension don't drag the pipe....I wonder if that would be the same for the later series?(06-07)....worth askin I would think?....

Just curious, are you guys scrapping hard parts (pipes or pegs) with the bags on or off. I would think the bags would also touch down, especially if the suspension was setup on the soft side and there was a mid corner depression or bump. Rear ride height will also have an effect.

If anyone installs a 4 to 1 Muzzy and doesn't like it let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Bill

Muzzy is still in denial. I called " Dave " at Muzzy to cancel my order for the Quiet Core I was going to add to the pipe. He was adamant and went on about how the pipe is redesigned and would not touch down... could never happen....... then I told him of two reports on the board of it grinding... " OK FINE... order cancelled " were his next words, then he hung up the phone ! :unsure: I'm still waiting for a reply from Partmonster about how to have the Muzzy picked up and credited. With the lean angles I run two up there's no way I'm about to install this pipe. Major Bummer as I'd been looking forward to installing this system for a while ! :huh:
I was wondering what you were going to do, Dave. I really want this pipe on there (and it arrived from PartMonster today), but like you, if it's going to touch down before the peg scrapers, I cannot live with that. I had one right hander on Skaggs Springs Road where I had to push it lower than expected to stay in my lane on a right hander, and two up, the suspension compressed enough to scrape the right peg pretty good. If that had been the pipe touching down hard, I'm afraid we might have gone down for lack of rear rubber contact.

Highlander...from what I've heard...the earlier models (02-05) with updated suspension don't drag the pipe....I wonder if that would be the same for the later series?(06-07)....worth askin I would think?....
I hope you're right, Mike. Mine's an '05, and like Dave, I've really been wanting this pipe for some time. Also wondering how much I would need to raise and stiffen the suspension (adjustable height on my Wilbers and may need a stiffer spring) to avoid the problem if it exists with my '05.

Muzzy is still in denial. I called " Dave " at Muzzy to cancel my order for the Quiet Core I was going to add to the pipe. He was adamant and went on about how the pipe is redesigned and would not touch down... could never happen....... then I told him of two reports on the board of it grinding... " OK FINE... order cancelled " were his next words, then he hung up the phone ! :unsure:
Par for the course. Now you know what I went through.

Muzzy is still in denial. I called " Dave " at Muzzy to cancel my order for the Quiet Core I was going to add to the pipe. He was adamant and went on about how the pipe is redesigned and would not touch down... could never happen....... then I told him of two reports on the board of it grinding... " OK FINE... order cancelled " were his next words, then he hung up the phone ! :unsure: I'm still waiting for a reply from Partmonster about how to have the Muzzy picked up and credited. With the lean angles I run two up there's no way I'm about to install this pipe. Major Bummer as I'd been looking forward to installing this system for a while ! :huh:
Most of my dealings have been w/ Curt Dorn @ Muzzy and he has always been pleasant to deal with. However, when I placed the order, it was Dave that took it. I got the impression that I was bothering him by calling in an order. I have noticed that SilverBullet dealt w/ him as well and got a condescending attitude. If you are going to deal w/ Muzzy, ask for Curt. I think Dave's pussy is sore and he passes it on to paying customers. I'll bet that this pipe situation for the 06 FJR is going to eventually bite Muzzy on the ass. I really hope that an unsuspecting FJR owner does not eat it because of this problem.

Trust me when I tell you that when I dragged that pipe, I did not hit a low spot and I was not pushing the bike as hard as I usually do because it was my first trip of the season.

That is sad that they aren't bending over backwards to fix this. Denying there is a problem is a flat-out insult. Especially considering the liability they are exposing to their customers and themselves.

As they always say, caveat emptor!

-BD

Just curious, are you guys scrapping hard parts (pipes or pegs) with the bags on or off. I would think the bags would also touch down, especially if the suspension was setup on the soft side and there was a mid corner depression or bump. Rear ride height will also have an effect. If anyone installs a 4 to 1 Muzzy and doesn't like it let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Bill
Bill,

Muzzy will have a slightly used, slightly scratched full system w/ stainless cannister soon. UPS will be picking up mine in the a.m. The only part that is damaged is the mid-pipe. everything else is cherry. It looks, sounds, and performs great w/ the exception of the right side clearance issue. I really hate that this did not work out because it was a beautiful system. Muzzy also has the PCIII mapping for the system. Ask for Curt because Dave is apparently on his period... :p

I would think not. And I would not want to try. As I said before the bend is in the wrong place. It is a full 2 inches out from the stock placement as I have tried to show in the photo. The Muzzy is in front of the stocker.

muzzy.jpg

compare to MSCs photo but the angles are not the same

100_0393.jpg

I don't wan't to derail the thread, but we might as well have all pics on one thread.....

Here is the point on the pipe where the full Holeshot system touches down...on a 2005 ....

IMG_1407.jpg