Muzzy Conclusion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rad ain't rubbed, but rad ain't a real scraper as a rule anyway. I've always seen the Feej as a luxury GT, not a pure sports dedicated machine, and have ridden accordingly. No offense, but it seems the ones who have the most trouble in the handling regard are searching for the limits, and damned if they ain't finding them.

No offense, but it seems the ones who have the most trouble in the handling regard are searching for the limits, and damned if they ain't finding them.
Maybe, but for me at least, the peg scrapers are the limits. I've spent a long time training myself to push it lower when I've overcooked a corner, and IF I'm just making contact with the scraper, I SHOULD be all right -- that's what it's there for. But touching the pipe (or other hardware) down BEFORE the peg scraper ain't proper . . . unless it's a Harley.

I too would like to see Muzzy readdress the mid-pipe instead of having buyers get one fabbed from someone else as a one off piece. Again, though: my concern is that it might not only be the mid pipe, but could to some degree also be a function of where the collector ends (thereby dictating placement of the front of the mid-pipe). Does anyone who has any experience with the Muzzy on his bike (mine's just arrived and in the box still) have an educated perspective on that?

I don't wan't to derail the thread, but we might as well have all pics on one thread.....
Here is the point on the pipe where the full Holeshot system touches down...on a 2005 ....

IMG_1407.jpg
Wait an f*in minute...

Fairlaner said he had the HOLESHOT header touch down, but that was due to hitting a pothole.

Now Highlander shows a pic of his touchdown on the HOLESHOT, too?? WTF is wrong with these two pipe MFG's?? If you are putting a pipe in the same place as the OEM, how difficult can this be, especially the holeshot, which is dual exhaust and has no cats to locate????

Highlander: what was the condition that let to the touchdown? Did you hit a pothole too? What was your suspension doing? Please, provide more details.

It looks like there are no options for aftermarket headers for this bike right now!

-BD

No offense, but it seems the ones who have the most trouble in the handling regard are searching for the limits, and damned if they ain't finding them.
Maybe, but for me at least, the peg scrapers are the limits. I've spent a long time training myself to push it lower when I've overcooked a corner, and IF I'm just making contact with the scraper, I SHOULD be all right -- that's what it's there for. But touching the pipe (or other hardware) down BEFORE the peg scraper ain't proper . . . unless it's a Harley.

I too would like to see Muzzy readdress the mid-pipe instead of having buyers get one fabbed from someone else as a one off piece. Again, though: my concern is that it might not only be the mid pipe, but could to some degree also be a function of where the collector ends (thereby dictating placement of the front of the mid-pipe). Does anyone who has any experience with the Muzzy on his bike (mine's just arrived and in the box still) have an educated perspective on that?
I think the collecter is OK. If the mid-pipe was just bent in a way to allow it to get closer to the center of the bike, I suspect the rubbing problem would go away. In fact, I looked at it fairly closely last night and this week-end, I'll un-hook the spring holding the mid-pipe to the header and see if I can rotate the mid-pipe closer the to frame and just leave the spring off.

I have to agree with Rad - some here are taking this 600+ lb sport-touring bike into sportbike territory as far as handling and cornering and finding out it can go there - but not willingly or safely!!

Just go outside and lean your FJR over far enough to scrape the pegs. look at the lean angle, and then tell me or anyone that is safe to do routinely on the street.

Wait an f*in minute...
Fairlaner said he had the HOLESHOT header touch down, but that was due to hitting a pothole.

Now Highlander shows a pic of his touchdown on the HOLESHOT, too?? WTF is wrong with these two pipe MFG's?? If you are putting a pipe in the same place as the OEM, how difficult can this be, especially the holeshot, which is dual exhaust and has no cats to locate????

Highlander: what was the condition that let to the touchdown? Did you hit a pothole too? What was your suspension doing? Please, provide more details.

It looks like there are no options for aftermarket headers for this bike right now!

-BD
Whoa! Calm down there Brundoggy! It's not like you ever ride, so you don't have to worry about it. :)

That photo is of fairlaner's holeshot. Highlander doesn't have the system. He just posted the photo he took after this past weekend's Death Valley ride. I saw it too. Not encouraging, but according to fairlaner, his stock suspension was set to "soft", and he hit a pothole. He also said the footpeg touched down. And I've seen him ride, and let's just say it's on the aggressive side. B)

Now, I am none too encouraged by any of this, and those pipes shouldn't be touching down, even stock suspensions, but........

I would say that if one is willing to spend the $$$ on a full header system, one should first spend the $$$ on an upgraded suspension. You all who haven't tried an upgraded suspension have no idea what you are missing. And with an upgraded suspension, chances of touching down headers is a hell of a lot less, if at all. IMHO, after watching fairlaner ride, he is way too aggressive for the limits of the stock suspension, and would benefit greatly from an upgrade.

And I am going to disagree with those who say peeps are leaning the bike over too far. The fact is, on a stock FJR the pegs touch down well before any hard parts. That's the way it should be. Period. It's been documented many a time on how easily the FJR touches the pegs. It's normal.

Though get that nice upgraded suspension and you will do it a hell of a lot less.

Now, I am none too encouraged by any of this, and those pipes shouldn't be touching down, even stock suspensions, but........
I would say that if one is willing to spend the $$$ on a full header system, one should first spend the $$$ on an upgraded suspension. You all who haven't tried an upgraded suspension have no idea what you are missing. And with an upgraded suspension, chances of touching down headers is a hell of a lot less, if at all. IMHO, after watching fairlaner ride, he is way too aggressive for the limits of the stock suspension, and would benefit greatly from an upgrade.

And I am going to disagree with those who say peeps are leaning the bike over too far. The fact is, on a stock FJR the pegs touch down well before any hard parts. That's the way it should be. Period. It's been documented many a time on how easily the FJR touches the pegs. It's normal.

Though get that nice upgraded suspension and you will do it a hell of a lot less.
+1 on all of that, Skooter.

The XX touches down pegs at a far greater lean angle, and it's a 550 lb. sport touring bike as well, NOT a sport bike. Admitedly, it has an even better suspension (Traxxion/Penske) than my FJR, and it does have a Micron 4-2-1 with very minor contact issues at the VERY extreme (well beyond peg scraping), and even then, it's only the tabs for the springs that ever touch, -- DEEP into the depth of how far down it will go.

I especially agree with you on the upgraded suspension and that's a part of my thoughts in deciding whether I can live with this Muzzy pipe. I have Wilbers springs in front and Wilbers shock in the rear on the Feejer. Very nice ride when solo, but I don't have it dialed where it should be for two up yet, and am beginning to believe that the 1 up/2 up compromise I made in ordering it got me a spring that is still too soft for 2 up and loaded. I did get the adjustable length shock, and IF I put this Muzzy on, I'll probably raise the rear, at least. Needless to say, I'd much rather do a get off by myself (style pointers from you would be appreciated, however**) than to eject my GF as well.

** That's a "touche" on your behalf, Brundoggy! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy is correct, that's a spy pic of Fairlaners Holeshot I took when he wasn't around. But even though he hit a pothole while on the soft setup ( why soft setup ? ) , it shouldn't happen, the stock system doesn't hit the pipes first ( it scrapes the lower dogbones first ).

And to answer the question why we try to live with / correct the Muzzy problems ourselves..what options do we have for a 4-2-1 header setup ??

Akropovic.... $1,600 last time I checked

Remus....$1,400 to 1,600 depending out options.

Holeshot... IMHO loud as hell, HD like obnoxious sound ( sorry HS owners )

Muzzy.... sounds " tuned " more than HS, but needs the midpipe fixed.

So even if your 1k into Muzzy to fix it, it's still cheaper than some.

As I was taking the Muzzy sytem off of my bike, I made some observations. The stock pipes are 1.5" diameter. The Muzzy pipes are 2" diameter. I think that Muzzy can't get the 2" pipes "under" the bike because it would cause clearance issues when the bike is upright i.e. going over speed bumps or high spots. I'm betting that Muzzy reached a compromise regarding the position of the pipe. I realize that the larger diameter pipe is proportional to the desired HP gain.

Here's my question; and I'm no engineer... Could the pipe be formed in an elipse to maintain volume/flow but lower the profile? I'll leave this to those of you that are more technically gifted than I.

I'm leaning towards using my refund towards a Penske rear shock from Traxxion. The FJR runs very well w/ the stock system and the PCIII. I will be able to appreciate the performance increase in handling that the Penske will provide. When I get enough scheckels for the AK20 cartridges, in they go.

Here's my question; and I'm no engineer... Could the pipe be formed in an elipse to maintain volume/flow but lower the profile? I'll leave this to those of you that are more technically gifted than I.
Exactly what I was thinking! If you've ever seen the hydro-formed Serpent pipe from Micron, you know they do something like that for flow benefits right out of the exhaust ports. I believe it's design purpose is to obtain max velocity or minimum drag/turbulence at the point of a pretty dramatic change in the directional flow of the gasses as they enter the header down tubes. The Serpent is supposed to be THE SHIT, but sadly, Micron does not make that pipe for either of my bikes.

You will LOVE the Penske/Traxxion AK-20 setup! It absolutely kills on my Blackbird -- well superior to the Wilbers setup I have on the FJR, but more expensive, and the XX is sportier to start with once you get rid of its lousy OEM suspension.

I, for one, am very glad that you are sharing this negative experience with us. I recently installed the Muzzy system but have not been on the road yet with it. I was hesitant to buy from Muzzy because of the previous problems reported here, but I really like the idea of losing 30 pounds and the heat from the cat so I'm going to leave it on until I get a chance to try it out. I hope, perhaps in vain, that Muzzy will redesign the midpipe and offer the new design to all of us. I believe there is room for a better design that brings the pipe in closer to the frame.

Please keep us aware of any news you get from Muzzy.

I am unsure how this 30lb weight loss thing started, but I put the stock system on the scale and it weighs 28lb total. So if you ran NO exhaust at all the most weight you would lose is 28lbs

I am unsure how this 30lb weight loss thing started, but I put the stock system on the scale and it weighs 28lb total. So if you ran NO exhaust at all the most weight you would lose is 28lbs
Header only or including exhaust/slip-ons?

Whoa! Calm down there Brundoggy! It's not like you ever ride, so you don't have to worry about it. :)
That photo is of fairlaner's holeshot. Highlander doesn't have the system. He just posted the photo he took after this past weekend's Death Valley ride. I saw it too. Not encouraging, but according to fairlaner, his stock suspension was set to "soft", and he hit a pothole. He also said the footpeg touched down. And I've seen him ride, and let's just say it's on the aggressive side. B)

Oh. Didn't know it was Fairlaner's pipe.

** That's a "touche" on your behalf, Brundoggy! ;)
Yes. Thank you! Screw him, he's funny looking and smells bad anyway. :p

-BD

I didn't weigh the parts but, using my highly calibrated right arm, I'm guessing that the entire Muzzy system weighed about what one of the stock cans weighs. It was very light. If I had to guess, I think 15 to 20 lbs is lost.

Header only or including exhaust/slip-ons?
Header and two stock pipes = just over 28 lbs with hardware

I forgot to weigh the Muzzy before install