How bad of an Idiot am I???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Jeff

Reaction score
I just completed my first Throttle Body sync....Thanks to Warchilds instructions or I couldn't have done it myself.

But when I was taking the rubber boots off I mangled the clips that hold them on. I lost patients and just put the rubber boots on without clips.

I plan on buying new clips if I can get a part number. But how much of a risk am I taking by riding without them. If one comes off am I stuck on the side of the road or can I limp back home.

Thanks for any input.

Forget 'em - you don't need 'em. Even without the bike would probably run (tough very poorly).

You can order them now and replace them next time. I ordered spare parts from Sunnyside online - fairly easy.

-BD

I'd replace the clips. Order from FJR Goodies (Sunnyside) or University Motors (Gary McCoy), might get a price break.

Just a suggestion, next time just pluck the caps off with your fingers (if skinny fingers) or use needle nose pliers. The clip will stay happily on at the base of the cap, no need to separate it from the cap at all. Replace same way. No mangling or need to pay much attention to the clip during the procedure.

Some run a monofilament line thru the clips to keep from losing them, but that was a pain. So far, so good without this step for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be good unless you get a lean pop through the TB's. Then it's goodbye caps. Get some retainers and get 'em on there. Parts stores, good ones, carry a multitude of retainers to choose from. And a +1 on Yambones post, I always remove as a unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my bike used. It had been serviced once. The clips were not on when I got it, and still are not. They cover VACUUM ports. Vacuum will hold them on. Not to worry.

They cover VACUUM ports. Vacuum will hold them on. Not to worry.
Unless, as Rad pointed out, a backfire occurs. Less common in EFI motors, but it DOES happen. Backfire will momentarily push airflow backward thru the TB, and vacuum is replaced by pressure when this happens. Thus the clips for the caps.

When I checked the synch, I promptly lost one of the little springy clips into the nether regions.

I wasn't terribly concerned because my other bike (the Bandit1200) didn't even have any clips on it at all and I was the first person to service it. Funny thing is that the Bandit fiche clearly shows the clips. Upon reassembly, I was afraid that I'd lost the missing clips down the inake tract (all 4 of them?), but other Forum membes chimed in that they never had the clips either. Even w/o the clips, the caps were pretty hard to get off, but I still always wondered if a healthy backfire could pop the cap off. Seeing as how nobody else had the clips and nobody reported ever losing a cap, I figured it wasn't a big problem.

I haven't replaced my two lost clips either (D'oh!). No trouble after 4K miles (service-to-service).

I was told by :beee: a Yamaha mechanic that the ones without clips become tickers.

Here we go with the ticking again.....

ADMINISTRATOR......PLEASE MOVE TO POINTLESS/RECURRING THREADS CELL. :lol:

After pulling the clips off I always throw them away. Never lost a cap yet.

Good to know because Yaamha wants $2.99 per clip. I think I will just go without.

Thanks for the replies.