OBD Connector

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOFFjr1300

Reaction score
Hi, this is a question out in the blue. I don't know anything about this, so I just pop the question. What's about the four pin OBD connector. Is it onely giving info about the ABS, or is it possible to connect a bluetooth device /" thing" to it and get info about RPM, temp, fuel level........?.And use an app to get the info, for example the DMD2 app. I know it's possible to get a cable who has a four pin connector in one end, and a OBD2 connector in the other end. I use the DMD2 app on my phone as a dashboard witch gives me speed, radio handling, Spotify handling, altometer, outside temp, map, and the Sena remote on the helmet gives me the possibility to control radio channels and Spotify. The DMD2 app can give a lot of info on the dash, but it needs a OBD2 dongle. It works on my car, and I was wondering if somebody has tried it on the FJR. I'm a gadget kinda " boy"🤣... This is just some thoughts that's been going on in my head....., and it would be cool if there is some way to make this work.... or is it a dead end, and a stupid question and topic. So to break it down, does the four pin OBD connector only give info about the ABS, or is it possible to get more real time info from this connector?. Is there sombody who has gone down this, maybe stupid road🤣?.

Hi again. M
Hi, this is a question out in the blue. I don't know anything about this, so I just pop the question. What's about the four pin OBD connector. Is it onely giving info about the ABS, or is it possible to connect a bluetooth device /" thing" to it and get info about RPM, temp, fuel level........?.And use an app to get the info, for example the DMD2 app. I know it's possible to get a cable who has a four pin connector in one end, and a OBD2 connector in the other end. I use the DMD2 app on my phone as a dashboard witch gives me speed, radio handling, Spotify handling, altometer, outside temp, map, and the Sena remote on the helmet gives me the possibility to control radio channels and Spotify. The DMD2 app can give a lot of info on the dash, but it needs a OBD2 dongle. It works on my car, and I was wondering if somebody has tried it on the FJR. I'm a gadget kinda " boy"🤣... This is just some thoughts that's been going on in my head....., and it would be cool if there is some way to make this work.... or is it a dead end, and a stupid question and topic. So to break it down, does the four pin OBD connector only give info about the ABS, or is it possible to get more real time info from this connector?. Is there sombody who has gone down this, maybe stupid road🤣?.
Hi again. My bike is an 2008 mod. Looked around on the forum, and found out that gen ll dosent have a OBD connector... Is that correct?.

The OBD2 connector is under the rider's seat (on my 2019) and you can get an adapter to connect it to a standard OBD2 plug in order to plug in a OBD2 reader (Bluetooth or otherwise). If you use Bluetooth, the Torque Pro II App seems to be the App most people use to connect the OBD2 to the phone.

The ABS connector is next to the battery on my 2019

Hi again. M

Hi again. My bike is an 2008 mod. Looked around on the forum, and found out that gen ll dosent have a OBD connector... Is that correct?.
Gen 1 & 2 and early Gen 3 scooters do not have an OBD connector (2001 - 2015). Scooter diagnostics are shown on the dash display.

Gen 3 scooters starting in 2016 do have an OBD connector (2016 - 2024).

As noted the 4 pin connector next to the battery is the ABS connector for ABS diagnostics.

dan

Last edited:
My Gen 1 has gauges above the handlebars. Shows fuel level Engine temp.Rpm, and speed. Also a clock. Everything anyone needs.These gauges should be available for all Gen 1 2 and 3. I really think there stock from factory. You should easily be able to find these for your bike and they should plug right in.What you're talking about with thee OBD. Well that's ridiculously unnecessary. Go find some gauges. Should be easy.

The OBDII connector on the gen III bikes is under the seat usually secured under the seat latch bridge. I use an adapter, a dongle and the Torque Pro app on my phone to read real-time data, look at codes and reset if appropriate. The adapter and dongle are both available on Amazon (separately) and the app is available in your favorite app store.

Gen 1 & 2 scooters do not have an OBD connector (2001 - 2012). Scooter diagnostics are shown on the dash display.

Gen 3 scooters do have an OBD connector (2013 - 2024).

As noted the 4 pin connector next to the battery is the ABS connector for ABS diagnostics.

dan

I am fairly certain OBD connector started with Gen 4 2016 FJRs.

I have the adapter and use Torque Pro. As best as I can tell, Yamaha uses proprietory codes. I don't believe motorcycles are required to comply with requirements for autos to use standard codes. I could not find much info on the codes I saw. But I could reset them. I had a code related to a bad TPS.

I have the adapter and use Torque Pro. As best as I can tell, Yamaha uses proprietory codes. I don't believe motorcycles are required to comply with requirements for autos to use standard codes. I could not find much info on the codes I saw. But I could reset them. I had a code related to a bad TPS.

Yeah, the codes are weird. The codes I get I can 'look up' via the Torque app and will give me some indication of what is going on. But for the full details of what exactly the code means it seems you need the proprietary Yamaha reader. Besides resetting codes, it also reset a recent Check Engine Light that came on. Interestingly enough, that CEL had no effect on operation other than not allowing me to set suspension preload. That screen would not show while CEL was on.

Pages 9-6 to 9-46 of the service manual have the trouble codes you might encounter as well as explanations and some basic diagnostic procedures. The service manual is your friend.
The problem is, if you don't have the Yamaha code reader, you don't see the codes that are in the manual. When my TPS was acting up, I got these codes on the Torque Pro app:

C1555 'chassis'
P1EC3 'engine'
P1EF5 'engine'.

None of those codes are in the manual.