Rode A K1200S Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanktar

Over the hill--and going faster!
Reaction score
I dragged the family out to a Beemer dealer to try the K1200S. I wanted to try the K1200R, but they had an S demo.

Here's what I can tell you--it's not complete because it was late in the day and I don't like to abuse test rides.

This bike is smaller than I expected. I think it's a bit smaller than the FJR, but as big or bigger than the FZ1. I suspect it's between them in weight but it doesn't feel heavy.

It's a much more forward leaning position than I expected. The seat seemed hard while sitting on it.

I didn't mess with the ESA settings, just left it on Comfort.

I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of things on this bike:

The POWER--I KNOW the FZ1 and FJR are both fast, but this thing is OHMYGOD! It pulls so damn hard--but was incredibly tractable and friendly about it--I never felt the bike was out of control. Then again, I didn't wring it out too much.

The ride: Smooth and light but never disconnected from the road. I felt a lot of confidence that I was staying connected to the macadam.

The comfort. I was shocked. By the time you hit 50mph the wind takes the pressure off your wrists and my lower back (always vulnerable) wasn't complaining a bit. I usually HATE hard seats, but BMW has done something different because I really liked this one. I could see being on this bike at speed for hours without getting in trouble. On the other hand, stop and go driving on this thing will DRIVE YOU TO INSANITY! At low speeds, all my fears of such a position were fulfilled. Thankfully, getting moving again relieved it nicely. I didn't, however, notice wind noise--very good!

Braking. These are ABS interlocked brakes and frankly, they don't hold a candle to my FZ1 or my FJR (ABS). They feel super-heavy and the bike feels hard to stop until you really bare down and then they bite really well. But they don't have the nice progressive feel my FZ1 has (since I did S/S lines) or the nice light touch of the FJR (which just got Spiegler discs). For all the hype, Yamaha has a better ABS braking system.

Clutch: Incredibly heavy. Annoyingly so. I almost hated it and in stop and go traffic you left hand will KILL you. Engagement is fine, no issues there, just heavy.

Appearance: This is a BMW? This is definitely a cross between the FJR and an R1! I cannot believe they built such a nice bike!

Price? YOWTCH!! NOW you know it's a BMW! Even the demo I was on, OTD would be $17,500! Did I love it? Sure! Did I love it enough to sell the FZ1 and come up with enough jack to make up the difference? Probably not. I'd STILL like to ride the K1200 R, though!

However, BMW has done an AWESOME job on this bike. I can just see it being a blast on The Dragon!

Now go ride an R1 and see what you think!
I KNOW what I'll think: For 30 minutes about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. And at minute 31 GET ME THE HELL OFF THIS THING!

I can't imagine taking a long trip on an R1. It would be a study in pain and endurance--the FZ1 can be that. But I can see going hours on end on the K120S--as long as I don't have to stop.

I can't imagine taking a long trip on an R1. It would be a study in pain and endurance...
And you know whose fault that is? Bush and the Republicans, that's who. The R1 would be a much more comfortable bike if Karl Rove and his army of lying spin doctors, didn't... um... oh..., never mind. Wrong thread. Sorry. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine taking a long trip on an R1. It would be a study in pain and endurance...
And you know whose fault that is? Bush and the Republicans, that's who. The R1 would be a much more comfortable bike if Karl Rove and his army of lying spin doctors, didn't... um... oh..., never mind. Wrong thread. Sorry. :huh:
LOL!

I KNOW what I'll think: For 30 minutes about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. And at minute 31 GET ME THE HELL OFF THIS THING!

I can't imagine taking a long trip on an R1. It would be a study in pain and endurance--the FZ1 can be that. But I can see going hours on end on the K120S--as long as I don't have to stop.
Yeah, you wouldn't want to do IBR or something like that, but me at 52 find no problem doing a 200-300mi. ride. It's actually not as bad as it looks! lol Again that's all I've rode for over 20 yrs.

Dang! I'm slipping! Why didn't I figure that out!

(Shouldn't make a person laugh so hard after dinner, Woodie!)

Yeah, you wouldn't want to do IBR or something like that, but me at 52 find no problem doing a 200-300mi. ride. It's actually not as bad as it looks! lol Again that's all I've rode for over 20 yrs.
I'm 50 and have been riding nearly 30 years...But always more upright. I just SIT on an R1, or a Gixxer and all I want to do is get back off. That wasn't true of this Beemer. I cannot imagine 200 miles on an R1--unless I was doing 150 the whole time!

It only counts if I made milk come out your nose :haha: :D

It only counts if I made milk come out your nose :haha: :D
Doesn't Diet Rite Cola count? :dribble: :D :lol:

Half-credit. ;)

There's just something great about milk. Must be the 4th grade-ness of it. :yahoo:

Anyway, back on-thread. I don't really like the look of the K1200S, I do like the R, though. That would be a kick-ass street fighter. Take those Monster 900's to the cleaner and back.

Now, if BMW would take that K1200S engine and put it into a sport tourer......... :clap:

They are, too...

Stef

(PS: Title says BMW K1200GT vs. FJR1300)

Engine "detuned" to a mere 150 HP, gross weight abt. 640lbs.

KFFMP-Beemr.JPG

Thanks for the report. I've been looking at these.

At first I wanted to get one because they are gorgeous. The price is ridiculous though.

Then it was an R1...

Then a Tuono...

Then a R1...

Then I got a double bubble and new rubber for my FZ1 and I took it over Lolo Pass. I've never been on that road before. Oh my gawd!

So now, full circle. I'm getting a 06 FZ1 in silver. Maybe. Perhaps. The red is nice. But so is the yellow R1. Oh jeeez. :unsure:

-r

YT,

I have summarized the highlights of the report in that one line.

All the rest is interesting but not essential. MOTORRAD caught the prototype at a gas station and kind of made up the rest of the story :blink: .

The new bike is going to be heavier and not as powerful as the "S" or "R" and it is aimed straight at the FJR's market segment, as the title clearly states.

There's also a vague design similarity..

This means curtains for the current K-RS and K-GT models.

Stef

YT,
I have summarized the highlights of the report in that one line.

All the rest is interesting but not essential. MOTORRAD caught the prototype at a gas station and kind of made up the rest of the story :blink: .

The new bike is going to be heavier and not as powerful as the "S" or "R" and it is aimed straight at the FJR's market segment, as the title clearly states.

There's also a vague design similarity..

This means curtains for the current K-RS and K-GT models.

Stef
Thanks, Stef!

What a waste! Just put hard bags on that puppy and maybe a more relaxed seating position and you're DONE...It would DEFINITELY give the FJR a good run--but OTD of $4000 to $5000 more buys a LOT of farkles.

Of course, if you want an FZ1, you can do the Traxxion front end, a Wilbers custom shock, stainless steel lines and pads from Galfer. Then take it to Ivan's Performance Products and have Ivan do his Monster upgrade--a lot more than just jetting. Ivan's Monster spins over 150 hp AT THE REAR WHEEL! But it's still a rideable bike--Ivan's signature. Then farkle everything you can think of and it will be faster than the K1200S, lighter, and STILL a lot cheaper! But...will it be "better"? That's up to you! I thought the S was quite an amazing bike.