Rear tire need latest advices b4 I spend money

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
I did my homework and read the threads on the rear tire.

I would like to have the latest info about the rear tire.

I have to replace mine actually and I don't know what to buy !

I tought of the BT021, but some guys on ST1300 forum says that the not strong enought

for their bike....

So I really don t knoe what do to.

I don t mind to pay, since tires are important !

I'm running the new BT021 and have been very happy so far. I have about 2,000 miles on it so far.

Why are the guys on ST1300 saying that it's not strong enough?

JW

There are a few tires ridden by the LD riders in the FJR community. Pilot Roads, Avon, Pirelli, Continental are the most commonly ridden after market as there may be a few others. It kind of a personal thing and many go on friends recommendations.

I just put about 2,000 on a set of BT-021's this weekend. They're not too bad, I think they're a lot like Pilot roads as far as their shape goes. They seem to be a little slicker than the Avon Azaro's and Pilot Roads Roads when cold, but just fine after a few miles to warm them up. I'd run them again, and might just do that if I can get the same kind of mileage I get out of Pilot Roads and Avons.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the BT021's being very much like the Pilot Roads!! Hopefully they last a little longer in my case. I only got 4000 miles out of the rear Pilot Road. :(

JW

I just put about 2,000 on a set of BT-021's this weekend. They're not too bad, I think they're a lot like Pilot roads as far as their shape goes. They seem to be a little slicker than the Avon Azaro's and Pilot Roads Roads when cold, but just fine after a few miles to warm them up. I'd run them again, and might just do that if I can get the same kind of mileage I get out of Pilot Roads and Avons.

+1 on the BT021's being very much like the Pilot Roads!! Hopefully they last a little longer in my case. I only got 4000 miles out of the rear Pilot Road. :(
JW
Well, i'm in this camp too. 1600miles, it all done in about 21hours ..so obviously some high speed miles on them. comments:

- I can't give any valid wear comments as I never get good mileage out of tires and this pair was running fast and hot before the stickers were worn off ...not a fair way to break in a tire. I'm *guessing* that these tires got about 1/3 to 1/2 used up in the 1550 hard miles that I put on them. I say this from eye-balling the current one with the new one that is waiting to replace it.

- I did get in some mild twisties and some descent sweepers and am VERY happy at the neutral handling characteristics of the tire. The best tire in this category that *I've* used on the fat sport tourer so far. Three thumbs up

- at high speed they are solid and confident ....much more than the Avon's i've been running. I'll give some credit here to the fact that these tires are round and can be balanced, which is more than I can say for the Avons Azaros that I used previously

Been too tied up with other riding to get back on the fjr ..but hope to this week and am eager to put them through some nice spirited riding. I gotta say though ...I really like these tires so far.

It'll be interesting to see how they hold up to the powerful fat bike that loves to chew up tires .....I hope they do well, I kinda think that they'll do as good as the others -if they come even close to the wear of the PR's or Avon's then i'll be with these tires indefinately. They just feel good. ...renojohn

Bridgestone is still reccommending the BT020. Specifically the "N" code (article#00978) tire. The "N" code tire is actually a higher load capacity tire that never was certified at the higher pressures as the application did not call for them. If I were going to run loaded and/or 2 up and use 42-44, it would be with the 020's. I have them on and they handle quite well and are extremely stable. More specifically they were specially designed just for the FJR, not just by Bstone but in conjunction with Yamaha engineers and remain the only 3 ply casing tire in that size. Some riders have had issues with the fronts cupping, especially if run below 40psi but I think most riders have gotten good results with the rears. I think there has always been an "in vogue" attitude that OE tires do not offer what some hot aftermarket treads do. Tests done don't help as they inevitably use bikes that are 150lbs lighter for the tests. Also I think they have suffered at the hands of internet wholesalers and small dealers inventories. One of the guys I ride with said he hated the 020's that he had put on just 3 months ago. We checked and not only were they the wrong code, they were made in 2003! Installed by our local dealer who had not a clue of either mistake. Rubber gets harder with age. Make sure you get a fresh one. I have also seen N's on R6's! Bet they weren't very happy either.

- I did get in some mild twisties and some descent sweepers and am VERY happy at the neutral handling characteristics of the tire. The best tire in this category that *I've* used on the phat sport tourer so far.
fixed.

Here is the discussion of Brigestone & some ST1300 owners:

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 11:56 AM

To: Bridgestone

Subject: BT-021 OEM fitment for Honda ST1300

Dear Bridgestone,

Previously your BT-020 sport touring radials had a special "F"

designation to signify the OEM replacement for my ST1300. Guys on the

ST1300 Internet boards that used the "generic" BT-020s are reporting

lower mileage than the "F" designated ones. Is there an "F" version of

the new BT-021 that's intended for the ST1300? Can I use the "generic"

120/70x18 and 170/60 x 17 BT-021 tires or do you recommend staying with

the BT-020F models for my bike. Thanks.

-Jeff

Jeff Bertrand

Ventura, CA

STOC 025

This was just posted on st-owners. The BT020F is still the correct tire for the ST. The BT021 replaces the BT020 which is NOT the recommended tire.

--------

Official BS position on BT-021 & the ST1300

That's in BS = Bridgestone (what were you thinking?)

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:17 PM

To: Bertrand, Jeff

Subject: RE: BT-021 OEM fitment for Honda ST1300

Hi Jeff,

The BT020 "F" is still the recommended tire for the ST1300. It should

be getting hard to find a Generic BT020 as these are discontinued with

the introduction of the BT021. There will not be a ST1300 spec BT021

unless Honda make a revision to the bike and request new spec tires.

Thanks,

Kevin Hunley

Customer Service/PDIC Manager

Motorcycle/Kart Products

Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire, LLC

So what do you guys think !

Happy birthday Pierre! I've run several sets of Avons in a row. Very happy with everything other than tire life which seems to be about 8,000KM for the rears, and maybe 12,000KM for the fronts. I run 2-up and near GVWR most of the time.

Your choice depends mostly on how and how fast you like to ride. I'm very rarely in triple digits personally (mph) and my next plan is to try the ME880 rear which Jeff Ashe has a thread running on now. I ran these on my ST1100 previously and was very pleased with the tires.

The FJR guys who have run them seem pleased, but a lot of FJR guys like to go and roar around at 130mph in Nevada - not a good choice for that! I will probably run the existing Avon front to see how that pairing works first, then decide if I will go 880's on both ends, or something a little stickier on the front.

I will probably run the existing Avon front to see how that pairing works first, then decide if I will go 880's on both ends, or something a little stickier on the front.
Sorry Grumpy, but I don't have much time to post right now.

Though when I saw the comment above, I felt compelled to give a quick response.

[SIZE=14pt]I would not, repeat, would not ever recommend running both front and rear ME880 on the FJR. The ME880 rear is working fine for me in warm weather combined with a sticky front.[/SIZE]

IMO, running both a front and rear ME880 would be a dangerous combination for the FJR. It simply has too much brake and too much power.

Happy birthday Pierre! I've run several sets of Avons in a row. Very happy with everything other than tire life which seems to be about 8,000KM for the rears, and maybe 12,000KM for the fronts. I run 2-up and near GVWR most of the time.
Your choice depends mostly on how and how fast you like to ride. I'm very rarely in triple digits personally (mph) and my next plan is to try the ME880 rear which Jeff Ashe has a thread running on now. I ran these on my ST1100 previously and was very pleased with the tires.

The FJR guys who have run them seem pleased, but a lot of FJR guys like to go and roar around at 130mph in Nevada - not a good choice for that! I will probably run the existing Avon front to see how that pairing works first, then decide if I will go 880's on both ends, or something a little stickier on the front.

Thanks !

I've got about 1500mi on a pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada's. Running the "E" model in the rear.

They are much better handling than the stock Metz Z4s that were on it before. Can't speak for tread life yet though.

I got them after reading reviews of vague handling with the Pilot Roads.

I dropped about 800 on a set of Pilot Road and though they handled very well. Couple hundred miles at buck, buck ten, on the flat and straight; lots of sweeper and quite a few heavy twisties; then unfortunately about a hundred miles in the rain (so much for forecast) Bottom line, I am very impresssed so far with performance..... now to see how the milage plays out......

The BT021 Bridgestone's basically have the same situation on the FJR as they do on the ST1300. The 020's are the official reccommendation of the company as they are application specific and handle the loaded weight very well. That being said, the generic 021 offers some performance advantages especially 1 up in heavy lean angles. The compounding on the tread edge is noticably softer to accomplish this. The high speed stability will be slightly better due to a different bead construction but wear will suffer 10 - 20 % and they should be used front and rear. It is strongly reccomended to not mix with the 020 so replace both if switching over. Also the 021 will not be as resistant to hydroplaning at high speed as the 020's. Below hydroplaning speeds they should offer excellent grip. The new tread design is much less suseptible to the directional scolloping wear experienced by some on the 020's, especially the fronts.

Trying to read between the lines with the engineers, I come up with: The 020's are THE tire for the Feejer run heavy or on wet highway applications. The 021 are unquestionably a superior handling product who's virtues are even more evident on lighter applications so don't load 'em up.