Excellent Deal on Clearwater LED Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
A few months back I posted about my LED front lights (mounted low, on the axle) that had just been developed--invented and manufactured by Forum member FJRGlenn. See original post here about these Clearwatertm lights. To introduce them to the FJR world, Glenn offered Forum members a good deal on a group buy. Quite a few of you took advantage of this offer, and they've been very well received. (BTW, he also donated TWO sets of these lights as fundraisers, one at WFO and one at EOM, proceeds going to the "Tyler fund."

They've also been improved from the "Gen 1" lights, thanks to FJRGuy and MEM (see posts 59 and 60 in the linked thread). He developed a switch that ties the brightness to the high-beam switch, automatically dimming them to whatever level the rider chooses when you go to low beams, and back up for high. It's a good idea, since they're very bright at night and can often result in getting "flashed" by other drivers when at full power. Because the world is not fair, he named the switch the "ME-1," not the "Guy-1." Tough luck, Jeff.

I went out there today and he installed the ME-1 switch on my bike, since it came along after I got my lights. From now on, though, the ME-1 will be part of every package he sells.

Anyway, THE POINT OF THIS POST (and there IS one), is that Glenn decided to offer ANOTHER special on his lights to Forum members for the Christmas season (tell your spouses). The list price is $475 for the set, all brackets, harnesses, etc. included. The special is, he's offering the same deal as the introductory group buy price, $400, and if you can get to his shop in Rancho Cordova, $475 installed. Installed right. (His normal installation price is $100; the local BMW dealership is quoting $150.) Glenn will have a booth at the "International Motorcycle Show" in San Mateo on Nov 20-22, and invites everybody to check out the lights and say hello. Hope to see some of you there too.

EDIT: Crap, I just looked at this post again and realized I did a typo or had a brain fart. The $400 price for this deal INCLUDES INSTALLATION if you can get here, not the $475 I posted. Sorry.

ANOTHER EDIT: This deal is good through 1/31/10!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone here has the moto lights there is a 14 bulb LED setup that will fit right into the socket on 'em.

I paid 18 bucks for the bulbs a few years ago..

:jester:

How do these lights compare to Baja lights for brightness? For difficulty in installation?

Not as bright as the big Solteks, for sure. For "down-the-road" lighting in a completely dark environment, you can get brighter lights than these. BUT they are VERY bright for "showing up" to other drivers, and they DO offer a lot of "fill in" light at full brightness. See the pics in the first post--linked above--the last two shots. Since they're a "flood" type light, they give a lot of illumination to the sides, etc. With that now-standard ME-1 switch, they dim with the low beams and go full-bright with the highs, so you won't blind other drivers at night.

To me, that's their big advantage over brighter lights, like the Solteks, IMO. You always have the benefit of improved visibility, even in traffic at night, since they're always on. You really wouldn't believe how well you show up, even when at partial power. It's a very white light--closer to blue, and really stands out from the much-yellower headlights of the FJR and other vehicles. I run them at full brightness in the daytime, and dim them at night except with the high beams. Nobody with those big bright Baja style lights runs them in traffic, so you either get the full bright or nothing.

FWIW, Glenn has another unit in development that will be brighter and larger. Mine are called the "Glenda" model in his website and are designed to be caliper mounted. The new ones will be called the "Krista," mount up by the handlebars, and be very competitive for brightness with anything else on the market--larger body, more and brighter (and larger) LEDs. I've seen the prototypes, and you can believe it. And also dimmable, so even they could be used full time, with all the advantages of LED, like power usage and long life. I might be adding a set of those someday myself.

Re installation, I can't say, except several here on the Board have done their own. Maybe somebody will chime in and speak to that. I know it's do-able. And instructions come with the kits.

I got one of the first set of lights with the ME-1 addition...it's GREAT!

I highly recommend this to everyone. As SacramentoMike points out, they aren't so much for increasing what you can see, as increasing who can see you. I really like the brightness, the fact that they are down low and farther apart than the main headlights...I think it really increases the chance for you to get noticed. And, since they don't just look like another cage, it makes people really pay attention, to see what has those lights on it.

I have the dimmer mounted where the temp adjust would be for the factory heated grips.

If someone is in the Bay Area and wants to see them first hand, send me a PM, and we can meet up. I live in Fremont and work next to Moffett field, but am always interested in a reason to go for a ride!

If anyone here has the moto lights there is a 14 bulb LED setup that will fit right into the socket on 'em. I paid 18 bucks for the bulbs a few years ago..

:jester:
Can you post a link to these bulbs? I have the moto light set up. thx
I believe moto lights like my lazer lights have mr16 bulbs

these would seem to work and peak my interest:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/mr16-wlx3.htm

MR16 Bulbs with High Power

1 Watt & 3 Watt LEDs

MR16 type GX5.3 base bulbs with High Power 1 or 3 Watt LEDs

12 Volt AC or DC operation - 2 inch (16/8") diameter

Fits standard GX5.3 base - 1.5mm pins with 5.3mm spacing

MR16-WLX3

3 x 1 Watt High Power Luxeon LEDs, 10 or 30 degree beam

Available in Cool White - 66 lumen @ 5500K

$20 each

Another bump, one week to go on this deal.

I've posted on the group buy, but you have all the same info here. Good until 1/31. Got my set, haven't installed them yet, as my back went out. Looking forward to putting them on, they look like quality equipment.

Don't work for them, just reminding folks about a fantastic deal, especially if you are in Cally and can get the install thrown in for free!

Hello everyone,

I just finished installing the Clearwater lights. First of all, I am very impressed with their service. Friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. I called on Monday and received the lights on Wednesday.They immediately e-mailed PDF file with how to install instructions (in color). The install went beautifully. The lights are very bright. The brackets are solid. $400 is a little steep, but well worth it. I had PIAA lights (X1100) before the Clearwaters. They draw a lot of current. The damn things are difficult to secure because of their bracket design. I stripped the bolts and cracked the fender from all the attempts at making them stay where they are supposed to. Called PIAA for help. Aside from poor and expensive products, their customer service is a joke. When the finally answered, their response was: we don't sell parts to individuals; only to retailers. I will never buy PIAA products again. You will be happy with the Clearwaters. Sam

https://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/g...nt=DSC_0001.jpg

https://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/g...nt=DSC_0003.jpg

https://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/g...=DSC_0004-1.jpg

Hello everyone,
First of all, I am very impressed with their service.
+1. I liked your bezel choice Sam, matches nicely with the forks and the stripes. I have an 06 too, and went with blue, I think yours might be a better choice.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you hook up the ground connection? My googling here didn't come up with anything, and wondered if there's a handy ground somewhere underneath the fairing area? Or did you drill a screw into the frame? TIA.

Hello everyone,
First of all, I am very impressed with their service.
+1. I liked your bezel choice Sam, matches nicely with the forks and the stripes. I have an 06 too, and went with blue, I think yours might be a better choice.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you hook up the ground connection? My googling here didn't come up with anything, and wondered if there's a handy ground somewhere underneath the fairing area? Or did you drill a screw into the frame? TIA.

I hooked the ground connection to the battery negative/ground directly, routed behind the front panels where the headlight adjustment knobs are. The cable was a little short, so I spliced another 2 or 3 inches to it. Works great. I may be adding an on/off switch at some point. Good luck. Sam

Anybody put them up high in place of the Hella FF50's yet?

Here's why I like them where they're designed to go: first, they turn with the front wheel, which can be very handy when you're stopped and trying to see something--like a street sign. When riding, the front wheel doesn't turn much, so they're always pointed in the right direction. Second, the "show-up" factor with that triangle of lights is very distinctive and allows other drivers to identify you as a motorcycle instantly, especially with the contrast between the whiter LEDs and the yellower headlamps. Finally, should you drop the bike somehow, the low position is much less vulnerable to damage than the higher mounting position where Hellas are usually mounted--up under the mirrors. I'd also add that he's designed a very strong and stable bracket for the caliper mounting. Much stronger than anything I've seen Hellas mounted with.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you hook up the ground connection?
As Lancaster pointed out, Glenn supplied good instructions with the lights; I'm sure this is covered. To be honest, I don't even know where mine are grounded, as they did the work in their shop and I didn't follow everything. But on my last FJR, I installed a lighter plug for the GPS/vest/air pump/whatever, and I didn't want to put still another connector on my battery post for the ground. So I drilled a tiny hole in the frame. I'm not sure of the exact terminology to describe the spot, but it was just below the handlebars on the front (leading) side of the frame, very accessible from above, and used a self-tapping screw to secure the wire connector I'd have put over the battery post. Worked fine.

REMINDER AND BUMP--Just a few days left on this offer from Clearwater. $75 off the lights and FREE installation here in Sacramento if you can get here.

I just had Skip at Clearwater install a set on my 2008 FJR AE. I rode up to Rancho on a rainy saturday from the Bay Area. I had made an appointment with Glenn and he made sure that I was taken care of on saturday. Skip did a terrific job installing the lights on my bike. He explained where which tap when where and why and made the whole installation look very easy. He also did a great job aligning the lights to the bike.

my 2cents on the lights...

They look really nice on the bike, like they belong. During the day, it was hard telling that they were on until I rode up behind someone and can see the reflection of the LEDs. I found that powersetting was perfect in the middle setting for all around riding. As I rode home to the Bay Area, it became dark and drizzly again. This is where I think the lights really made the ride better. Still at half power, the LEDs filled the dark gap between the headlights and the bike. Also, I noticed that I was able to see more reflective signs in the distance. The signs were "whiter" than with just my headlights. Not sure if that is just me being giddy with the new lights or what.... hahahaha. On the way back, via 680 south of Fairfield, I noticed the lights were lighting up the sides pretty good, they weren't throwing a beam way out front but it supplemented the headlights very well and more of the upcoming road was more visible. I am really glad I got these. The dimmable features is really nice. I will have to do more testing out in the foothills at night to see how they work.

I will post some pics when I can get some.

BTW, I did get the $400 special, Glenn extended the special offer for me. I would get these lights on my car too!