FJRandy's compact Nautilus install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRandy

Reaction score
I just finished mounting the compact Nautilus horn on my '03. All I can say is good luck to anyone else attempting to mount this setup as tucked in as I did. This is a LOT of fabricating!

Stay tuned.....pics to follow tonight, hopefully.

OK, here goes. First I cut off the plastic clamp and compressor air intake cover from the horn section.

Then I fabricated a new clamp for the horn.

nautilusinstall7.jpg

Notice the 5/16 brass fitting pressed into the horn.

nautilusinstall6.jpg

I mounted it to the left side factory hole.

nautilusinstall8.jpg

I stuck the cutout air intake cover on the compressor with double sided tape.

nautilusinstall10.jpg

After making different brackets to fit the compressor, I came up with the one on the right.

nautilusinstall14.jpg

nautilisinstall15.jpg

Compressor mounted in right factory hole using custom bracket.

nautilusinstall11.jpg

Finished product.

nautilusinstall16.jpg

I must admit, it was worth the hassle of getting everything to fit. There's a lot more clearance for the fork brace now. There wasn't much clearance at all with the Magnum Blasters.

It sounds awesome! I still can't see how this is going to be accomplished on the '06 with the curved radiator, but let's see who's the first to do it this way.

[edit 6/07] It works even better on '06/up models. More clearance than 1st generation bikes.

So to all of you that asked me to post up when the job was finished, there ya go. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly?

It sounds to my semi deaf ears that they're about equal in volume to the Magnums. But again, completely different sound so your ears perceive it different. the MB's were approx 110dB at 10'. I'll try to do a sound test tomorrow to see if these are actually louder at that distance.

BTW.....NO noticeable lag with the two pieces separated. No more than with them directly connected anyway. There's always a little lag when you hit the button on an airhorn. Haven't seen one yet that didn't. But the added 2' or so fuel line between the two pieces made absolutely no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would there be any clearance issues on an ABS equipped bike?

Could you mount the compressor somewhere else behind the plastic, perhaps near the area of the battery? :unsure:

Would there be any clearance issues on an ABS equipped bike?Could you mount the compressor somewhere else behind the plastic, perhaps near the area of the battery? :unsure:

1.....I don't believe so. The connecting line actually tucks in on top of the radiator.

2.......No. Absolutely no room anywhere near the battery.

Holy crap on a stick; I'm glad I did the magnum blaster install instead. Me = lazy^2. Nice install; I'm very interested in hearing your take on the sound testing...

Just a quick update on this.

This setup has been working perfectly, and you sure do get more room mounting the two pieces separate like that.

I got to use the horn quite a few times on my recent trip, and even an 18 wheeler heard me while moving over into my lane. Everyone that hears this setup asks....."Why? Why do you need it THAT loud??"

My reply is, of course..."WHAT??" :lol: