Grip Puppies reduce jerky throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Just got done installing a set of Grip Puppies from www.casporttouring.com ($7.50 delivered). (Order the small size)

Click Here

They go on pretty easily and will increase the diameter of your grips enough that it will make a difference on throttle control. This esentially does the same thing my throttle pulley shim does, though to a lesser degree.

If you have done the Barbarian mod, released the throttle spring, and taken out the slack in the cable and still are not happy with the throttle response, then this would be the next logical step if you don't want to mess with the throttle pulley.

Try it, I think you will find it makes a significant improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any scoot stores in the dallas area that have those in stock?....kind of an over the counter kinda thing?

Are there any scoot stores in the dallas area that have those in stock?....kind of an over the counter kinda thing?
Dunno. I have seen similar foam type grips in some Honda dealerships. Cycle Gear also carries these kinds of items. You also might check with Motoliberty in Dallas. I am sure if you look around you could probably find something real similar locally.

The shipping from casporttouring was free and they took about a week to arrive at my door.

I have em. They're a good inexpensive way to have a tad more comfortable grip. Still jerky with them but, it's the only mod I have so far. I'm hoping to do the barbarian jumper with a local FJR owner or get a power commander. Has anyone from the vegas area lent their bike to dynojet for a free power commander yet?

I have the Grip Puppies installed as well. I like the larger diameter and the softer feel. My throttle rocker works well, too.

Yesterday, I took out most of the slack in the throttle cable. It only has about 3 mm of rotational slack, now. Made a great deal of positive difference to me regarding the jerkiness of the throttle in the on/off/on again modes. The 'jumper mod', throttle spring and CO change will come soon.

Try taking the slack out of the throttle cable ... but, make sure to move the handle bars full left and right to see if you've over done it. The throttle will rev is you have.

BAGGER

I added the Grip Puppies last night. I wish I had installed them before taking a 4500 mile ride. They made a huge difference in comfort for me.

The Barbarian Mod definitely helps the bike run smoother too. I changed mine this morning and after reading the write-ups from this forum, the hardest part was taking the side cover off (and that is easy too). Thanks to the wrenches that figured out the changes to make this an even better riding bike. :clapping:

+7 on my 06 for all cylinders.

Original settings:

01=-10

02= 8

03= 8

04= 11

I don't think I will be changing the throttle spring as it seems like it is breaking in nicely after 8k miles. I may try it just to see if I like the change though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem with the throttle.

1. Grip puppies

2. Remove ALL throttle play just shy of the point where the bike wants to rev if you turn the handlebars

3. Throttle spring mod

4. +7 on all cylinder settings

All these mods can be accomplished in about an hour or so.

Not bad at all now.

Still requires a smooth hand, which is making me late getting back on the throttle in the turns but I'm working on that timing issue.

Don't give it up yet!