Passport mounted on a Ram Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I think I want to mount my passport on a ram mount on the left side of the bike. Does anyone have a pic of theirs mounted and possibly some part numbers? Are there better alternatives?

Passport 8500 mounted on right side with RAM Power Plate:

ElectricalFarkles042.jpg

RAM brake resevoir mounting base:

ElectricalFarkles050.jpg

RAM mounting base with 1.5" arm and RAM Power Plate:

ElectricalFarkles048.jpg

RAM Power Plate. Power Plate is a magnetic platform for mounting radar detectors:

ElectricalFarkles045.jpg

Here's a photo of the piece of metal that comes with the Power Plate. You use double-sided tape to stick it to the bottom of the detector. That metal plate then fits onto the recess in the Power Plate. Power Plate has a strong magnet, and I don't think its going anywhere, but I use the velcro strip shown in the piccie as a secondary safety system to keep it from flying.

ElectricalFarkles046.jpg

One last piccie:

ElectricalFarkles044.jpg

I bought all this stuff through CycleGadgets.com. Very helpful folks. Better alternatives? All a matter of preference.

Thanks Skooter, thats exactly what I was looking for. Any reason that you mounted the detector on the right? I just thought it would make it easier to mute it if it was on the left.

As an aside, for those who have the power plate...

If you ride without the detector mounted, you'll hear this really annoying rattle/buzz

that you'll be completely unable to locate until you realize it's the magnets inside the

power plate which can move around unless there is something on top of it to hold

them steady.

Thanks Skooter, thats exactly what I was looking for. Any reason that you mounted the detector on the right? I just thought it would make it easier to mute it if it was on the left.

The display on the Passport angles to the left, so it makes more sense to mount it on the right. I suppose you could do it on the left and still see the display, but me thinks it would be a bit awkward. Muting on the right is not an issue for me. I am not sure if I reach with my left, or activate the throttle lock and do it with the right hand, but it's a twowheelnut* to do.

*No-brainer

Interesting observation Woody. I have never ridden with just the power plate on. If the detector comes off, so does the power plate.

As an aside, for those who have the power plate...If you ride without the detector mounted, you'll hear this really annoying rattle/buzz

that you'll be completely unable to locate until you realize it's the magnets inside the

power plate which can move around unless there is something on top of it to hold

them steady
Yea, I had that happen! Spent a day or two thinking I had developed the dreaded 'tick' or something. The Ram plate buzz is accentuated at the 4K RPM buzz that comes standard with most FJRs. Can be used as a kind of a TBS synch-o-meter, I guess. B) So like Skooter, I pull the plate with the detector when not in use--easy to do.

Regarding the Ram- ball mount system, I got the same set-up as Skoot for my Passport. My only complaint is the high profile of the gizmo. Great for function, but too easy for the Man or bystanders to spot. I've got an XM radio on the left side that kind of 'matches' but I may look into a Top Gun dash shelf (see FJR Goodies) and get a little more discreet and organized.

Last edited by a moderator: