Radiator Guards:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Looking at some other reads discussing the guards for the FJR, I still have a question on the protection offered. I'm running an 06 and the grill work has about a 1/2" or so clearance between the cross pieces of the grill and I'm not sure about the 05 or earlier grill setup. While some seem to think the aftermarket guard is a must have farkle, some seem to not even mention this as an addition to their bike. While I don't travel much gravel or dirt roads, my question is, is there really a need for a aftermarket radiator guard on our bikes? Here is one I looked at for the 06...WildHair. I have also looked at the addition of a "Fenda Extenda", to help in this area but don't like the aspect of drilling my front fender. Any feedback on the radiatior guard would be appreceiated. PM. <>< :huh:

I've seen a least 2 holed radiator posts in 3 years. Is that reason enough for me to have a guard? Yes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a least 2 holed radiator posts in 3 years. Is that reason enough for me to have a guard? Yes. ;)
Twn, one holed radiator post in three years is reason enough. Just wasn't sure about the protection offered by the stock grill vs. the more protected aftermarket one. And I sure would rather pay $150 for a guard than what the radiator repair or replacement might be. Not to mention the time and $ to take the plastic off to get to it. Thanks. PM. <>< :blink:

.......and I'm not sure about the 05 or earlier grill setup. While some seem to think the aftermarket guard is a must have farkle, some seem to not even mention this as an addition to their bike. While I don't travel much gravel or dirt roads, my question is, is there really a need for a aftermarket radiator guard on our bikes?
Del, before '06 the FJR didn't come with a radiator guard of any type. I believe I'd agree with your train of thought about the 1/2" gaps being a little large for my comfort.

I have also looked at the addition of a "Fenda Extenda", to help in this area but don't like the aspect of drilling my front fender.
There are ways around drilling the fender. Read the link below. I glued one on my 04, it has 36thou on it and hasn't fallen off. I just bought another for the 06 and I'm glad I did after some of the roads I rode this weekend !!

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=35

Wow, thanks for that Dave. Sweeeeeeeet. I likey no drillie....And Mike appreceiate the confirmation. Looks like the old farkle itis is still in motion. Now, if I can just keep away from that Skyway dude..... PM. <>< ;)

Wow, thanks for that Dave. Sweeeeeeeet. I likey no drillie....And Mike appreceiate the confirmation. Looks like the old farkle itis is still in motion. Now, if I can just keep away from that Skyway dude..... PM. <>< ;)

There is no escaping Skyway, resistance is futile. If you run, you'll only end up broke and tired instead of just broke.

Now, if I can just keep away from that Skyway dude..... PM. <>< ;)
Keep away from Skyway :eek: ? You need to teach me that one. If he keeps coming up with all this fun stuff I'll need to hock the FJR to get the money to pay for the farkles.

I didn't consider the Radiator guard as a necessary farkle until today, when I was parking my bike at work and smelled coolant and after closer examination realized I had a rock-enduced leak in the front of the radiator about mid-way down. After taking a closer look, it appears as though it was a million dollar shot straight between the forks.

I'm buying a new radiator for $250 + shipping ($280 total) and installing myself (saving $150) and then immediately installing a radiator guard!

My bike will be down for a week for repairs, but it will be worth it in the end.

Aloha,

Duane

B)

I didn't consider the Radiator guard as a necessary farkle until today, when I was parking my bike at work and smelled coolant and after closer examination realized I had a rock-enduced leak in the front of the radiator about mid-way down. After taking a closer look, it appears as though it was a million dollar shot straight between the forks.
I'm buying a new radiator for $250 + shipping ($280 total) and installing myself (saving $150) and then immediately installing a radiator guard!

My bike will be down for a week for repairs, but it will be worth it in the end.

Aloha,

Duane

B)
Dang, sorry to hear that Duane. I got the guard ordered from Wild Hair and is on the way from Germany. On the positive side, you are working and riding in a much beautiful place with those rough 85 degree year round temps. :D Hope the fix works out well for ya and aloha. Be safe my friend. PM. <><

I built a radiator guard for about 10 bucks, not counting the rattle can of flat black paint in the garage. Home Depot has sheets of wire mesh. I added some half-inch angle aluminum strips for edging, squeezed shut in a vise. Attached to radiator by sliding the top (no border strip) under the radiator mounting bracket, and a zip tie at the bottom.

Looks good, and provides some protection. And one snip of the zip, and it's back off.

Oh yeah, a sheet of poster board to make a pattern. I cut the mesh with wire nippers, but a straight sheet metal shear, that would have been better.

But then, I'm a cheap bastard. I must be; my wife told me so.

I put my Fenda_Ext. just with the provided tape. Cleaned area first with ETOH

and it's got 4K on it w/o a problem.

I built a radiator guard for about 10 bucks, not counting the rattle can of flat black paint in the garage. Home Depot has sheets of wire mesh. I added some half-inch angle aluminum strips for edging, squeezed shut in a vise. Attached to radiator by sliding the top (no border strip) under the radiator mounting bracket, and a zip tie at the bottom.
Looks good, and provides some protection. And one snip of the zip, and it's back off.

Oh yeah, a sheet of poster board to make a pattern. I cut the mesh with wire nippers, but a straight sheet metal shear, that would have been better.

But then, I'm a cheap bastard. I must be; my wife told me so.

Photos??