Barbarian Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Just finished the Barbarian CO mod for my 05 FJR, which led me to a few questions.

1) Can I assume the jumper wire remains even after the changes are completed. Would anything happen if I removed it (not that I'm going to)?

2) My original numbers were: Cyl. 1=3; 2=6; 3=5; & 4=19 Does this sound remotely correct?

3) I reset each cylinder as follows: Cyl. 1=7; 2=7; 3=7; & 4=7. Is this correct? Or is it +7 from the original #?

Thanks for your expertise.

The jumper only allows you to view the CO settings on the LCD panel. Removing the jumper will not affect the CO settings, only your ability to view them.

Reset the CO values to +7 over whatever the original values were. Your settings should then be (10, 13, 12, 26).

My '06 had initial values of (-10, 8, 8, 11). I reset them +7 to (-3, 15, 15, 18).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished the Barbarian CO mod for my 05 FJR, which led me to a few questions.
1) Can I assume the jumper wire remains even after the changes are completed. Would anything happen if I removed it (not that I'm going to)?

2) My original numbers were: Cyl. 1=3; 2=6; 3=5; & 4=19 Does this sound remotely correct?

3) I reset each cylinder as follows: Cyl. 1=7; 2=7; 3=7; & 4=7. Is this correct? Or is it +7 from the original #?

Don't worry about the jumper, it can stay moved with no problems. The +7 is in addition to your original numbers ie 1=10 2=13 3=12 4= 26 or there abouts. recheck my math to be sure tho B)

I just did this mod recently, and how I understood it was.....

1) If you undo the mod, the new settings will stay.

2) Most people had original settings of 5,18,18,21 or -10,8,8,11 (Cyl, 1,2,3,4), but this is specific to your bike from Yamaha.

3) Most people report either changing each setting by +5 or +7. So your new numbers for +7 would be 10,13,12,26.

Cool!

CO now reads 10,13,12,26.

It's amazing how much faster it goes the second time around.

Thanks for the correction.

Now its time to go ride! Back later to let you all know how it worked.

Initial Review.

Spent about 20 min. riding and noted immidiate changes.

1) The bike seems to idle better.

2) No apparent surging during cruise

3) I've recently noted a whine from the shaft drive (usual sounds) but the whine had a waa waa sound during acceleration. Now that I've made the Barbarian changes, that waa waa sound is almost completely gone. I would assume the waa waa sound is indicative of cylinders that are not in tune with each other (That is, one cylinder produces more (or less) power than the others).

4) overall increased smoothness (especially in light deceleration).

5) The hesitation noted during accelerating from idle is almost completely gone as well.

Some of these claims could be inflated, but they are note worthy.

I will ride more later and confirm or ammend these changes.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Cool! Glad the mod worked well for you. Could try increasing or decreasing CO counts to optimize. I left well enough alone at +7. Then got a Power Commander and things were even better.

It's a shame Yamaha has to stoop to making the bikes perform crappy in order to meet the EPA numbers!

It's a shame Yamaha has to stoop to making the bikes perform crappy in order to meet the EPA numbers!
It's not Yamaha's fault. It's the laws of physics meeting the laws of man. The fact is that now that you all (me included) have monkeyed with the CO setting, put in a PCIII, and/or made map adjustments, you are now polluters under the law. I got a hunch we are all breaking the law too. Good news is that it is either not enforceable or there isn't anyone trying to enforce it.

It's not Yamaha's fault. It's the laws of physics meeting the laws of man. The fact is that now that you all (me included) have monkeyed with the CO setting, put in a PCIII, and/or made map adjustments, you are now polluters under the law. I got a hunch we are all breaking the law too. Good news is that it is either not enforceable or there isn't anyone trying to enforce it.

It "IS" Yamahas fault. Many other bikes, (and cars) do not have these problems.

Hey guys, does anybody have an answer on why the absolute difference on CO numbers from early '06 to late '06/'07s?

What I mean is the diference from -10,8,8,11 and 5,18,18,21. Middle 2 cylinders are the same, and #4 is 3 points above in both cases. Consistent. But #1 is 18 points from 2nd on first example, and only 13 on the second. What gives? Plus the first example should be running a lot leaner, when it's probably the opposite, right? Maybe the maps are all different too. Jst food for tought. Later gang.

JC