Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ordrock

Reaction score
Ok I did a search and came up with 35 pages, too damn many. Went to the Seattle International Motorcycle Show, pretty lame I might add. Who ever set it up seemed to have dropped the ball, (dumb ass).

Anyhow, one of the vendors there was GIVI, They had many soft tank bags. The magnetic ones. Anyhow has any one out there in FJR land have these things on there bike?

I looked at the T410, in the catalog and it looks like what I’m looking for. Does Givi make one specifically for our FJR or perhaps one that looks hot and sexy on the FJR?

I'm sure some of you will tell me to go read the past postings, but a brother only has so much time in a day. I read through the first 5 pages, no luck.

Any help would get me on the right track; the Christmas credit card is smokin, so before it goes out I would like to get one.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, yep that’s right I said it Christ.

Semper Fi

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this on my 07 and it works great. The mounting along with the tank skin assures that the paint won't get all buggered up.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2624
Nice way to mount but I have a question;

from the twisted throttle website:

"Note: Installation of handlebar barbacks on your motorcycle moves your handlebars closer to the rear of your tank, and may cause the handlebars to interfere with ANY tankbag on some models of motorcycles."

I'm planning on installing Helibar upper clamp + riser recently purchased on the group buy; do you have any risers, what kind, and do they interfere per the above?

I have the Heli-bar triple clamp on my 07 and the tank bag i run is a Cortech "mini" with magnet mounting. It's not real big, but with the bars pulled back a little, not alot of tank bags fit without handelbar interference, this one fits fine. :yahoo:

I have the NelsonRigg CL350 tankbag on my 07. I wouldn't go any bigger as this one does limit handle bar travel in parking lot situations. But you just have to get used to it mainly and ride smart in those parking lot situations. It sure holds alot and even expands upward 2" if needed. I rode all day in the rain and didn't even need the rain cover. The map pocket did get some moisture but no big deal. I got it for $50 bux used and was like new. Always wax the tank and wipe the magnetic bottom of real good or you will get scratches on your tank.

While I'm not a fan of many things BMW, they do have a nifty tankbag mounting system on the R1200RT and I think the K13GT, too. The mount and bag flip up to expose the gas cap, and the bag does not contact the tank so there is no scratching. Of course you must use the BMW bag ($$$) and the mount looks awful when the bag is removed.

On the FJR, almost any useful size tankbag will cause horn beepage and grip interference in full-lock turns. Bar risers make this worse. Make yourself a horn button protector and pack soft items in the bag and all is well.

pete :cold:

Here is the obvious question:

What do you intend to use your tank bag for?

That will effect which bag would be ideal for your needs...

Yes. This must be answered before any good recommendations can be sent....unless you just want everybody to just list their own tankbag.

I have a Givi T419. I like it but it is big. Good quality product. Been using it for three years or so. I would recommend thier products from my experience.

Yes. This must be answered before any good recommendations can be sent....unless you just want everybody to just list their own tankbag.

Actually, Bustanut will just say that he likes your bag Wheatie... :rolleyes:

+! Cortech "mini" with magnet mounting. I looked around for the Yamaha bag to see what it looked like , but ever could find one is stock. They look pretty nice.

I only like magnetic mount bags.

for day rides I use a Nelson Rigg CL50 "mini bag".

for touring, I've gone to a Nelson Rigg CL350...yes, I first tought it might be too big, but my Pensacola trip this week convinces me I like it fine, but wouldn't go any bigger. I holds all my electronics, snacks, spare gloves - lotsa stuff.

I have it mounted "backwards" with the zipper closing at the front of the bike, and the flap opening to the rear.

This puts the narrower end forward and the bars, fz1 mirrors, and hand guards are not interferred with by the bag.

<I will post pics later this evening after dinner of the bag on the bike - still there from my trip>

I'm happy now that I've ridden 500+ miles with it. I actually get support to the middle in front from it and my Nelson Rigg dayback bag mounted on the pillion seat supports me in back. Kinda cool and comfortable actually.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Actually, Bustanut will just say that he likes your bag Wheatie... :rolleyes:
Yeah...well I get that alot. I can't help it if everybody likes what I got. And I can't account for other's tastes, even yours Fred.

:eek:

:)

Both my father and I have Nelson Rigg tank bags very similiar to THIS one, just a few years older model.

It fits fine with both stock bars and the risers on the other FJR. Pm me if you want pics w/o risers.

What I really like about it is that it's sorta low and wide, well matched to the huge FJR tank. It's big but not cavernous... for me it holds true with with the old motorcycle addage: It can't hold all you want, but it'll hold all you need. I've actually gotten a whole change of clothes, toothbrush, elec razor and a small waterbottle in there.

An added bonus is that since it's Nelson Rigg, it has a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only like magnetic mount bags.
for touring, I've gone to a Nelson Rigg CL350...yes, I first tought it might be too big, but my Pensacola trip this week convinces me I like it fine, but wouldn't go any bigger. I holds all my electronics, snacks, spare gloves - lotsa stuff.

I have it mounted "backwards" with the zipper closing at the front of the bike, and the flap opening to the rear.

This puts the narrower end forward and the bars, fz1 mirrors, and hand guards are not interferred with by the bag.

<I will post pics later this evening after dinner of the bag on the bike - still there from my trip>

I'm happy now that I've ridden 500+ miles with it. I actually get support to the middle in front from it and my Nelson Rigg dayback bag mounted on the pillion seat supports me in back. Kinda cool and comfortable actually.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'
BTW, my '04 Gen I has double risers moving the bars back 2.5 inches.

<non professional phone pics on the fly>

4196403042_7342240887.jpg

4196403048_c18abb92b7.jpg

4196403052_5bded75a8e.jpg

I have this on my 07 and it works great. The mounting along with the tank skin assures that the paint won't get all buggered up.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2624
Nice way to mount but I have a question;

from the twisted throttle website:

"Note: Installation of handlebar barbacks on your motorcycle moves your handlebars closer to the rear of your tank, and may cause the handlebars to interfere with ANY tankbag on some models of motorcycles."

I'm planning on installing Helibar upper clamp + riser recently purchased on the group buy; do you have any risers, what kind, and do they interfere per the above?
I have the Heli and the XL Engage bag (not the one you referenced), and it is adjustable to avoid contact with the bars. Only in a full lock does it touch, and it just beeps the horn. Love my XL Engage!!!

I had a Nelson Rigg for quite a while and was happy with it. Eventually I bought a Bagster and have been really happy with that. Protects the tank nicely and has enough room - also expandable. Not cheap though.