Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bought a MotoPak GT on e-bay. this one's magnetic. I have an identical one, except it's a strap mount, on a Ducati MTS -- It's very well made and $69 delivered to my door. www.motopakluggage.com is their website but it's cheaper to get them through e-bay.

I use a Cortech "mini" tank bag with magnet mounting on my '07 with a Heli triple clamp. I've not experienced any problems but I don't have anything electrical powered through the bag. I like the ability to easily remove the bag and take it with me if making a fuel/restroom stop in less than an idea location. I have my rain suit, first aid kit, maps, cell phone, ipod, camera, spare glasses and tire gauge in mine and move it from bike to bike.

OBD

I have this on my 07 and it works great. The mounting along with the tank skin assures that the paint won't get all buggered up.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2624
Nice way to mount but I have a question;

from the twisted throttle website:

"Note: Installation of handlebar barbacks on your motorcycle moves your handlebars closer to the rear of your tank, and may cause the handlebars to interfere with ANY tankbag on some models of motorcycles."

I'm planning on installing Helibar upper clamp + riser recently purchased on the group buy; do you have any risers, what kind, and do they interfere per the above?
Yepper, I have the 21L Cortech Bag w/Helibars and they indeed touch. I need to always remember to bias the bag to the back of the tank as much as I can to avoid interference.

h_rn.jpg

I do like the bag very much. I have the mag version.

Cheers!

I use the mini for daily use, scored the marsee 15 liter drop from newenough for $50. Holds a ton and the clear map

window with the data ports worked perfect with the autocom and for taking pixs, just lift shoot and close...

TankBagTech.jpg

09_goingWest050.jpg

I have this on my 07 and it works great. The mounting along with the tank skin assures that the paint won't get all buggered up.

"Note: Installation of handlebar barbacks on your motorcycle moves your handlebars closer to the rear of your tank, and may cause the handlebars to interfere with ANY tankbag on some models of motorcycles."

I'm planning on installing Helibar upper clamp + riser recently purchased on the group buy; do you have any risers, what kind, and do they interfere per the above?
No risers...The OEM bars do come close to tank bag when turned fully, but no interference.

I have the Heli Triple clamp and I bought the Trial QL from Twisted Throttle. The Trial QL was way too big, even with the side pockets cut off the bars would hit. I then found a Marsee 10L bag similar to the post above and I cut stiching to remove the magnet mount and then I moved the SW Moto mount from the Trial QL to the Marsee. Works perfect and looks great, too.

Marsee.jpg

for touring, I've gone to a Nelson Rigg CL350...yes, I first tought it might be too big, but my Pensacola trip this week convinces me I like it fine, but wouldn't go any bigger. I holds all my electronics, snacks, spare gloves - lotsa stuff.
4196403052_5bded75a8e.jpg
Goddamn, Mike!! :blink:

You've got the sidebags, a top trunk, a tail bag AND a tank bag! How much shit did you need to carry for just 1 day's ride?

I wish we HAD met up Thursday so I could have made fun of your inability to pack for the occasion in person. :finger:

ps: Since we DIDN'T meet up, and the picture doesn't show it, PLEASE tell me you weren't pulling a trailer! :blum:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to use a strap mount tank bag on the FJR? I was considering ordering additional straps for my RKA tank bag that I use on my SV, but I don't see where I would tie the front straps to...

Another thing, has anyone tried the Luggage Locker tank bags? Any opinions? I was considering the Tank Locker bag if I can't strap my RKA bag on the FJR. These seem cheaper than the Marsee bags + gas cap mounts. The black box series looks interesting also.

https://www.luggagelocker.com/motorcycle-luggage.htm

Tank locker:

tank2a.jpg

Black box:

BB-8p.jpg

BB-6p.jpg

for touring, I've gone to a Nelson Rigg CL350...yes, I first tought it might be too big, but my Pensacola trip this week convinces me I like it fine, but wouldn't go any bigger. I holds all my electronics, snacks, spare gloves - lotsa stuff.
4196403052_5bded75a8e.jpg
Goddamn, Mike!! :blink:

You've got the sidebags, a top trunk, a tail bag AND a tank bag! How much shit did you need to carry for just 1 day's ride?

I wish we HAD met up Thursday so I could have made fun of your inability to pack for the occasion in person. :finger:

ps: Since we DIDN'T meet up, and the picture doesn't show it, PLEASE tell me you weren't pulling a trailer! :blum:
dole ing out abuse after your pussified performance, are you...
leghump.gif

asshole.gif

double%20fuck.gif

angel.gif

I have the Engage Sport and the Day Pack 2. I went to this brand because I also have a CBR1000RR which has a plastic tank cover. I can use either bag on either bike. I also purchased the mounts for my wife's two bikes. This way the bags can go on any bike I desire. They mount above the tank and do not touch the tank at all.

highwaypegs005.jpg

bagsconnectiontankbag004.jpg

+1 on the bags connection tank bags. As you can see I have the daypac 2 and it works great for what I need in a tank bag plus it expands. I have the Heli upper triple clamp and my bars don't hit the tank bag.

Eric

I have a Bagster system on my bike and I had one on my 94 Honda CB1000 for years. When I sold that bike last year my tank (black) looked brand new. If you're not familiar with it, the Bagster system consists of a full tank bra (sold seperately) and a tankbag (sold seperately) that clips onto the bra; very solid. It's a more expensive than your average tank bags, but it's something you don't see every day and it's built to last. Check out their website and see if it's for you. Just my 2 cents worth.

+1 on the Bagster set-up. But it's a look that isn't for evereyone. Here's mine:

Black Bagster tank cover without the bag mounted:

2887230750098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

With small tank bag, no interference with the bars which have Heli risers on them:

2504268780098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

I also have a much bigger wedge shaped Bagster tank bag that clips right in to the tank protector. But with that on there is interference with the bars at full lock hitting the horn, etc.

2521239970098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Because of the interference, and because I have all my electronica wired through the smaller bag, I always ride with the small one on.

I don't see where the OP ever said what he wants to do with his tank bag, so not sure I would recommend the Bagster. It works for me, but I also really like the looks of Eric's Bags Connection semi-hard bag. :thumbsup:

One other small advantage of the Bagster system for 1st gen owners is it insulates your legs from the hot gas tank in summer time. Seriously, it does.

+1 for the Marsee. Mine is the tour bag with sealed map pocket below for storage, magnetic. Not waterproof (natch). the built in cable ports and clear top tray are the shit!

Cheap @ NewEnough.com

trip003.jpg

(Pic taking at Mont Tremblant - destination of CFR2010!)

I have the Heli and the XL Engage bag (not the one you referenced), and it is adjustable to avoid contact with the bars. Only in a full lock does it touch, and it just beeps the horn. Love my XL Engage!!!
I have regular engage with electric mount. Great combo for my purposes.