Digital thermometer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Looking for just a (digital) thermometer for the 05.

Anyone purchased a decent one somewhere that can be stuck on with double-side?

I picked up an inside/outside thermometer from Radio Shack for a couple bucks, Ran the lead for the outside temp probe down under the front of the fairing and secured it to one of the philips screws on the fairing in front of the radiator. I found it quite a bit more accurate than the temp reading from the unit itself (not in direct sunlight, and always exposed to the airsteam).

Don

If you exchange your 05 with the 06 versjon you get the digital thermometer for free ;)

I looked into this a while back and found several on EBay that would work. The one I liked best was a fish aquarium unit with a 3' probe you would insert into the tank. The name escapes me at this time... :rolleyes:

Try this one also....

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=33080

I've been using one for two years now and it is hanging in there. You can cut and solder the lead wires to the little sensor to get rid of the excess. I mounted the sensor under the front lip of the fairing on the black plastic filler that mounts to the fork. Sees ambient air flow at speed and out of the sun. Works excellent. A battery lasts over a year in it so that isn't a problem.

How do you keep it from destructing in the rain and during washes?

It's stuck onto a little bracket with velcro and comes off and into the tank bag with the radar detector when it rains or is washed. It seems fairly durable, though. It has gotten wet a number of times in light showers and such and seems fine. It is cheap enough that I really didn't think too much about it. When it dies I'll just get another one....until Datel comes up with a thermocouple adapter for the mini-voltmeter so as to allow a permanent installation of an outside temp indicator.

I looked at formotion but cant justify the price.

I went to a local pet store and bought a digital thermometer that is for an aquarium for about $7.00. Works great.

I have the Formotion unit - works well when in motion - reads high when parked or puttering through town - would not recommend....

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into this a while back and found several on EBay that would work. The one I liked best was a fish aquarium unit with a 3' probe you would insert into the tank. The name escapes me at this time... :rolleyes:
Thanks Garauld!

I went to PetsFart this afternoon and picked up a digital aquarium thermometer with a 39" sensor cord for $9.

Two pieces of double stick and four wire ties later, and that bad boy is displaying the inside fairing temp on my right handle bar.

That was the ticket! Thanks again!!!

:yahoo:

Got one of these from ebay. It is a small laboratory thermometer with large LCD display so it's easy to read at a glance. It's basic though, no min/max or backlight. It does have F/C switch and on/off switchand and a 3' probe lead. I put the probe up front under the fairing away from engine heat and attached the unit with adhesive velcro.

Ebay seller is "avogadrolabsupply"(sells lab stuff).

temperature.jpg