Full system exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting one of these two. Figured this might be an easy way of getting pro and cons of each.

edit: i tried setting this up as a poll, but it looks like it didn't work. sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
With Muzzy's full system, you lose the dual exhaust look with a small amount of performance benefit (theoretically; I don't know if performance benefit has been proven). I don't like the look of the FJR with single exhaust.

My favorite option is the Holeshot header with Remus Hexacones: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114580

Probably the most expensive option, but it sure does look and sound good :) . Only problem is that it doesn't fit together. You have to get the hexacones' connector pipes expanded to fit on the Holeshot header and also find some larger clamps.

I think you may be splitting hairs here. I think anyone who can be objective would tell you they both share a single common con: price. Both systems are very pricey. Neither are OVER-priced as the quality of both systems are exceptional and (with these two systems, at least) you get what you pay for. Similarly, they also share the same pros: great fit, finish and sound. I don't think anyone can prove a noticeable performance advantage of one over the other. Which brings the decision down to one thing: do you prefer the look and sound of a single exhaust over dual?

Me? I'm a Holeshot guy, as posted HERE. Being as objective as I can be, I can honestly say you can't go wrong with either system as long as you pick the one that most appeals to your eyes and ears!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at getting one of these two. Figured this might be an easy way of getting pro and cons of each.
edit: i tried setting this up as a poll, but it looks like it didn't work. sorry
I've been thinking about a header, since i already have a set of Blueflame Performance EVOIII slip-ons. Since i don't particularly like the unbalanced look of the Muzzy 4-2-1, i guess that really only leaves the Dale Walker 4-2 headers.

Is anyone using and is happy with a different header that maintains the dual pipes?

I recently bought a Muzzy system from another rider. Quite frankly, I'm moving back to the stock system. I prefer the whiney whistle to the cop caller on long rides. There's certainly a weight difference between the systems, but there are other solutions to that 'problem'.

One idea for you guys who don't like the one-sided look is to do what some of the STN guys are doing on various bikes....... Build a storage tube that replaces the muffler that's been removed. You can put tools, tire kits, and a bunch of other stuff that you seldom use in there.

Just a thought.

Oh, if anybody wants my aluminum round can Muzzy full system, send me a pvt message. We'll talk about price.

I think 2WheelTiger brings up a good point. With the complete Holeshot system, including the new DB Killers installed, the sound is not obnoxiously loud (IMHO). Of course you can easily remove the DB Killers to make it louder, if you want. You can also use stock cans with the Holeshot header for an even more mellow tone. I don't believe that's possible with the Muzzy system.

I've been thinking about a header, since i already have a set of Blueflame Performance EVOIII slip-ons. Since i don't particularly like the unbalanced look of the Muzzy 4-2-1, i guess that really only leaves the Dale Walker 4-2 headers.

Is anyone using and is happy with a different header that maintains the dual pipes?
Ive got a set of Holeshot headers going on my bike in the next 2 weeks. It will then have a PCIII USB fitted, followed by a few hours on a dyno @ dynojet. I'm keeping the stock tailpipes. My aim is to have a super smooth pickup from any point on the rev range, hopefully maybe few extra bhp and torques, but the latter is not the prime aim.

Andy

I just wacked the header off 3" below the head and ran a buch of 1 1/2" flex pipe back. Gives it that "homey" look, and everyone knows true race machines have at least a couple feet of flex somewhere, just as true street race cars have at least one coat hanger holding something up, together, or gathering radio waves ;)

I'm looking at getting one of these two. Figured this might be an easy way of getting pro and cons of each.... sorry
Every Muzzy I've ever heard -- on any bike -- has been "Louder 'n Hell"...!

'RiderCoach Lar': I don't think anyone can prove a noticeable performance advantage of one over the other. Which brings the decision down to one thing: do you prefer the look and sound of a single exhaust over dual?
'RiderCoach Lar': With the complete Holeshot system, including the new DB Killers installed, the sound is not obnoxiously loud (IMHO). Of course you can easily remove the DB Killers to make it louder

'radman': I just wacked the header off 3" below the head and ran a buch of 1 1/2" flex pipe back. Gives it that "homey" look, and everyone knows true race machines have at least a couple feet of flex somewhere
And..., Gives that "Louder 'n Hell" sound everyone who buys aftermarket exhaust gets... At least you're not supporting (financially) those companies 'driving nails in the motorcycling coffin'.... :angry:

'2WheelTiger': I'm moving back to the stock system. I prefer the whiney whistle to the cop caller on long rides
Good on 'Ya --

I predict the "Loud Pipes" crowd will (eventually) go away -- but, not the way we'll like it.... :(

I'm looking at getting one of these two. Figured this might be an easy way of getting pro and cons of each.... sorry
Every Muzzy I've ever heard -- on any bike -- has been "Louder 'n Hell"...!

'RiderCoach Lar': I don't think anyone can prove a noticeable performance advantage of one over the other. Which brings the decision down to one thing: do you prefer the look and sound of a single exhaust over dual?
'RiderCoach Lar': With the complete Holeshot system, including the new DB Killers installed, the sound is not obnoxiously loud (IMHO). Of course you can easily remove the DB Killers to make it louder

'radman': I just wacked the header off 3" below the head and ran a buch of 1 1/2" flex pipe back. Gives it that "homey" look, and everyone knows true race machines have at least a couple feet of flex somewhere
And..., Gives that "Louder 'n Hell" sound everyone who buys aftermarket exhaust gets... At least you're not supporting (financially) those companies 'driving nails in the motorcycling coffin'.... :angry:

'2WheelTiger': I'm moving back to the stock system. I prefer the whiney whistle to the cop caller on long rides
Good on 'Ya --

I predict the "Loud Pipes" crowd will (eventually) go away -- but, not the way we'll like it.... :(

WAAAAAAAAAAAA I will send ya some cheese for your whine.

I take it, then, that you support/like/condone "Loud Pipes"...? :unsure:

I condone support people not being such asshats about what other people ride. There are a lot of other people out there that think our bike have way more horsepower than we need to do 75 miles an hour down the interstate. NOW why in the world do you need a bike capable of doing 150 you offend me with your having the need for a bike with sooooo much excessive power.

I condone support people not being such asshats about what other people ride. There are a lot of other people out there that think our bike have way more horsepower than we need to do 75 miles an hour down the interstate. NOW why in the world do you need a bike capable of doing 150 you offend me with your having the need for a bike with sooooo much excessive power.
Are you, then, in favor of 'antisocial behavior', generally -- or, just certain aggressions against society?

Would you be in favor of rules that: "Let me do my thing as long as it doesn't affect you"?

Would it be OK -- if people just kept-their-nose-out-of-it and let the Police sort it all out?

Is your motorcycle ownership your "statement" vehicle....? :unsure:

I take it, then, that you support/like/condone "Loud Pipes"...? :unsure:
+1 he should be riding one of these :)

f_honda-super-cub-2.jpg

Obnoxiously loud pipes are pointless for both the rider and the by-standers, however a bit of sound is good and adds safety IMHO.