1st Valve Adjustment Service Done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Dropped off the bike last night and picked it up today. Though I'm 542 bucks (the Zooks! part) lighter in the wallet, I am happy with the servicing dealer and the service report. All valves right smack in the middle of the specs! Oh, happy day! The tech said that of the three of four FJR's he has serviced, that they've all been right in the range. Also had the fluids changed (more or less manditory, I guess), including the pumpkin juice, new air filter and iridium plugs, TBS and idle adjust. Did a walk around after the shop boy got done washing the bike and all looks well and buttoned back up well with no outta place farkle shit.

Can't believe the difference the TBS makes... Feels turbine smooth! :good:

The downside to this... They just finished prepping a KTM 950 Adventure Black. Fook, this thing is sick! :dribble: And the bitch fits me like a Rollie James custom taylored suit! Niiiiiiiice...

4687.jpg

ALASKA IS CALLING!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct valve clearances = peace of mind, no doubt.

Glad to hear it, too. Others have reported not needing any shims changed. Maybe it's the shim under bucket arrangement? I've had shim over bucket bikes that go out of range, and while easier to work on, had much shorter intervals and you had to keep an eye on them.

TWN - That sounds like a great price. My valve check is due in another 2000 miles. My dealer seems to be preparing me for surrendering my first born for the cost of this "major" service.

If no shims are needed, my valve clearance check should total about $20. Everythings on sale............ :D

If no shims are needed, my valve clearance check should total about $20. Everythings on sale............ :D
I'll prolly be due for the 52K one next winter. I'll send you a business class air ticket to Santa Babs. Steak and lobster on me, too. Prolly save me half that much. Tools in the garage, I'll be watching Bass Masters on OLN. :D

TWN - That sounds like a great price. My valve check is due in another 2000 miles. My dealer seems to be preparing me for surrendering my first born for the cost of this "major" service.

Ric,

Book says 5 hours labor, plus 1 hour per cam shaft if they have to pull them to shim. My dealer is at 80/hour.

<<<SNIP>>>
The downside to this... They just finished prepping a KTM 950 Adventure Black. Fook, this thing is sick! :dribble: And the bitch fits me like a Rollie James custom taylored suit! Niiiiiiiice...

4687.jpg

ALASKA IS CALLING!
I saw a guy on one of those at the gas station just the other day. Kewl looking bike, but if I were going to Alaska or around the world I wonder if you're better off on an older GS or on that, from a reliability and field repair stance.

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TWN - i like it too, just haven't seen one... if i was in your shoes, i'd 'ave had to take it home...

I can say from much experience...

Nobody knows the internal metallurgy or does a better job engineering a 4-stroke than Yamaha.

We put their 4-bangers through absolute hell in MX, 100+ temps, dirt, water, sand, banging the rev limiters at 14k etc. As long as you change oil frequently and tell her you love her. She'll feeler gauge for a good two or three years without a shim change. Yamaha has their $hit together on valves.

I can say from much experience...

Nobody knows the internal metallurgy or does a better job engineering a 4-stroke than Yamaha.

We put their 4-bangers through absolute hell in MX, 100+ temps, dirt, water, sand, banging the rev limiters at 14k etc. As long as you change oil frequently and tell her you love her. She'll feeler gauge for a good two or three years without a shim change. Yamaha has their $hit together on valves.

Now their valve guides.... :glare:

I'll prolly be due for the 52K one next winter. I'll send you a business class air ticket to Santa Babs. Steak and lobster on me, too. Prolly save me half that much. Tools in the garage, I'll be watching Bass Masters on OLN. :D

Ric,

Book says 5 hours labor, plus 1 hour per cam shaft if they have to pull them to shim. My dealer is at 80/hour.
My adjust was free. Yamaha did it for nothing. Oh sh** I for got I had a ticker. Well at least I saved $500.

Funny you should mention the "ticker" part. I learned mine was ticking yesterday and it is now scheduled for surgery May 23rd. No point in paying to check and/or adjust valves when the valve guides are shot . . .

Dropped off the bike last night and picked it up today. Though I'm 542 bucks (the Zooks! part) lighter in the wallet, I am happy with the servicing dealer and the service report. All valves right smack in the middle of the specs! Oh, happy day! The tech said that of the three of four FJR's he has serviced, that they've all been right in the range. Also had the fluids changed (more or less manditory, I guess), including the pumpkin juice, new air filter and iridium plugs, TBS and idle adjust. Did a walk around after the shop boy got done washing the bike and all looks well and buttoned back up well with no outta place farkle shit.
Can't believe the difference the TBS makes... Feels turbine smooth! :good:

4687.jpg

ALASKA IS CALLING!
LOL...Just steal it, ride to Alaska REALLY fast, dump it off a cliff, fly back and write a good ride report :yahoo:

TWN, glad to see your back in the saddle with everything running right. Your not jonesin for a new suit are ya? Ride safe. PM. <>< :D

Your not jonesin for a new suit are ya?
Oh, yeah. I'm getting all chubbed up over these dual sports... I've burned up every twisty road in 4 counties, a lot of which end in decent looking fire roads or simply turn to gravel... kinda like the PCH above San Simeon! :blink: Need to see what's down those roads... ;)