Eastern Kentucky Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Thanks to all who participated in this ride. It was great meeting and hanging out with a bunch of forum members. We had good food, excellent accomodations, and a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, the only day we had good weather was Saturday. Several of us cut the trip short and returned home on Sunday, with a forecast of rain all day and a high of about 45, and to add to it, monday's forecast was even worse.

The brave and fearless Luvtoride, OhioFJR1300, and Quicksilver took the shitty weather in stride, and finished the ride!

I also learned what Diesel Fuel does to motorcycle tires! Slip Slide, Wheeeee. Luckily, I slowed down a lot once I felt the tires breaking loose.

If you ever see a wet spot in the road when it's been sunny and breezy all day, AVOID IT!!!!!

IMG_6479.jpg

OhioFJR1300 with S.O. on the magic school bus. Man that thing is pimp!!!

IMG_6474.jpg

IMG_6457.jpg

Saturday Morning: "How much Jager did we drink?" "Just one bottle!"

IMG_6453.jpg

Jager and S.O. in Red River Gorge.

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6445.jpg

Gorge.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

Looking foward to see everyone elses pics. I know there are some good ones to come!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

If you ever want to see what an FJR is capable of while 2-up, follow HaulinAshe or Jwilly for a while!

Where is this tunnel? I hope to get out that way more this year. Beautiful!
That's Nada Tunnel. It's along the scenic drive section of red river gorge. You can obtain a map from any gas station in the area. Well, there's like 2 gas stations in the area, so I guess you could obtain the map from one of the two gas stations in the area!

That's Nada Tunnel. It's along the scenic drive section of red river gorge. You can obtain a map from any gas station in the area. Well, there's like 2 gas stations in the area, so I guess you could obtain the map from one of the two gas stations in the area!

I've got a sister that lives in Richmond, KY and one that lives in Kernersville, NC and hope to cover as many backroads in between as I can this year. Just gotta figure out when. Thanks!

I've got a sister that lives in Richmond, KY and one that lives in Kernersville, NC and hope to cover as many backroads in between as I can this year. Just gotta figure out when. Thanks!
Let me know when you plan to make it. I can send you days and days of route segments to ride between Kernersville and the Kentucky line.

Keith,

Thanks for the ride. I'm glad I took the time to come out and play.

Drew

P.S. I took the time to ride to Breaks also. My first experience of having ice cover my windshield while riding.

A few of our pics:

Keithaba heading into Nada Tunnel

IMG_0662.jpg

Look closely; see the waterfall we rode through?

IMG_0658.jpg

Me

IMG_0673.jpg

Keith, riding in the rain

IMG_0672.jpg

Guarding the bridge

IMG_0678.jpg

At Pine Mountain, ready to ride

IMG_0704.jpg

That Yellow GW (w/ trailer) really MOVES!

IMG_0705.jpg

Ashe & Karen, on one of 3(?) passes over the mountain on 421

IMG_0752.jpg

KY is blooming:

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Cumberland Gap

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

E. KY will never be the same!

IMG_0699.jpg

Very nice pics Jager. Thanks for taking the time to snap and post.

I'm starting to notice a pattern. Pictures of me are almost always blurry, and everyone refers to me as "Ashe" and GF as "Karen". This undoubtedly should be telling me something!

421 is just a damn good road everywhere EXCEPT Wilkes County NC. Too many high-rise trooper perches along that stretch.

:(