Replacing Heated Grips with aftermarket grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodman

Reaction score
I have the 2008AE and hate the rock hard grips. I have Driven Gel Grips on my GSXR and love them. I've never had heated grips before. Can I take them off and replace them with aftermarket grips? I really don't want to do the grip puppy thing because I'm really fond of the Driven gel grips. I don't want to strip the stock grips off to find out I destroyed the heated grip elements.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has replaced these grips.

I have the 2008AE and hate the rock hard grips. I have Driven Gel Grips on my GSXR and love them. I've never had heated grips before. Can I take them off and replace them with aftermarket grips? I really don't want to do the grip puppy thing because I'm really fond of the Driven gel grips. I don't want to strip the stock grips off to find out I destroyed the heated grip elements.
I'd like to hear from anyone that has replaced these grips.
Hmmmm, well, I guess grip puppies are in my future.

I don't see any reason you couldn't remove the factory heated grips (that have the heating elements internal to the grip) and install aftermarket heating elements like the dual star ones. You can add whatever grip you want ontop of the dual star elements. You'll just have to patch the wiring into the stock heat controller wires.

Find someone with a Gen-II in your area who is looking for OEM heated grips and make a deal with him

You remove your controller, tube and left grip and put the parts from his bike in their place and you then modify the OEM non-heated gear.

It's just too damned expensive to destroy just because you find them too hard. I personally like hard grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any reason you couldn't remove the factory heated grips (that have the heating elements internal to the grip) and install aftermarket heating elements like the dual star ones. You can add whatever grip you want ontop of the dual star elements. You'll just have to patch the wiring into the stock heat controller wires.
+1

That's exactly what I did to my '07AE. The rock hard grips had to go so I cut them off and tossed them, then added Symtec heating elements (same as Dual Star elements) and the grips of my choice. It was a wonderful upgrade.

Note that the stock heat controller is looking for about a 4 ohm load, so wire the new heating elements appropriately. Also note that the stock wiring puts the left and right heat elements in series while you'll want the aftermarket elements to be wired in parallel. Not a big deal, but thought I'd mention it.