Chippewa Rally Boot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Chippewa Rally Boots earlier today and thought I'd share a description as well as some first impressions after wearing them around the office and house for the past 4 hours.

1) Absolutely outstanding quality and craftsmanship. Excellent quality oiled leather with very clean stitching and detail. They look every penny of the $200 boot they are (online for ~$160 - $170);

2) Boots are fully leather lined with a Vibram Nitrile (oil resistant) sole;

3) 2 velcro strap closures; 1 at- and 1 just above the ankle. Large velcro closure at the calf/upper boot shaft (there is no zipper on the boot shaft). Apparently, this closure system allows some venting;

4) The velcro straps and upper velcro closure are a bit awkward to get closed properly so that the boot shaft "lines" up. I haven't gotten it right on the the first try yet. But the boots are still stiff...;

5) The sizes apparently run big. My typical boot size is an 11D. The width was fine, but I was getting too much heel slip. A 10.5E fits perfect;

6) These boots are exceptionally comfortable and look great! After 4 hours, the boot leather is breaking-in and shaping to my foot nicely;

7) I would compare the fit and feel of this boot to that of a good western/cowboy boot (Chippewa is owned by Justin after all...). The 1" heel probably helps give it that feel;

8) These are certainly more snug fitting all around than, say, my Oxtar Matrix 2 boots

I'm anxious to get out and put some miles on the bike in these. I really like the fit, and did I mention that they're really, really comfortable..?? I'd guess that anyone that's used to a western/cowboy-style boot will find these very comfortable.

Road test to follow..!

Damn, ...sure a good looking boot!! ...and comes in widths too, big plus; but alas, I'm one of those guys that's limited to shorter boots due to calf circumference. However it looks to be built along pretty traditional lines [not the molded sole/modular upper type]so maybe a good shoe repairman could modifiy 'em a bit for height? I'll be interested in your further opinions.

Damn, ...sure a good looking boot!! ...and comes in widths too, big plus; but alas, I'm one of those guys that's limited to shorter boots due to calf circumference. However it looks to be built along pretty traditional lines [not the molded sole/modular upper type]so maybe a good shoe repairman could modifiy 'em a bit for height? I'll be interested in your further opinions.
Measured at the top of the boot shaft, you've got up to ~17" circumference and still maintain good engagement (IMO) of the velcro on the upper closure.

I can see that shifting/braking in a boot with a heel will take a bit of getting used to. I don't perceive that I have the same amount of foot mobility that I have with a only a slighty raised heel like the Oxtars. One thing's for sure though; I needn't be concerned about my feet accidentally slipping off the pegs. Hook the heels over the pegs, drop your toes, and relax your legs. On long, straight stretches it'd be a really comfortable riding position!

How well do the soles grip the ground? I like that style of boot quite a bit, but I never considered wearing them on a bike. My cowboy boots have leather soles and can be rather slippery if theres the least bit of moisture on the ground. What material is the sole made of? Thanks.

How well do the soles grip the ground? I like that style of boot quite a bit, but I never considered wearing them on a bike. My cowboy boots have leather soles and can be rather slippery if theres the least bit of moisture on the ground. What material is the sole made of? Thanks.
Here's a site with several photos of the boot: Chippewa Rally Boot Photos (I note they've got a very competitive price on these boots as well @ $159.00)

Hey Sock, Did you buy them off-the-shelf somewhere up in the PDX area, or did you have to mail-order them, ...just wondering if there's somewhere w/in a days drive I can touchy-feely before plunkin' $$ down?

Hey Sock, Did you buy them off-the-shelf somewhere up in the PDX area, or did you have to mail-order them, ...just wondering if there's somewhere w/in a days drive I can touchy-feely before plunkin' $$ down?
Yeah, I bought off-the-shelf: Al's Shoes & Boots, 5811 SE 82nd Ave, Portland OR 97266; Tel: (503) 771-2130. I paid (almost) full retail for them, but Al's has given me such outstanding service on 2 prior ocassions, that the extra ~$30 over online prices seems worth it. Call ahead and check whether they have your size in stock. If not, they'll get it in the store and give you a call as soon as it arrives (usually a couple of days). Remember that the sizing runs about a half-size big, so make sure they also have a pair a half size smaller in a wider width.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I bought off-the-shelf: Al's Shoes & Boots, 5811 SE 82nd Ave, Portland OR 97266; Tel: (503) 771-2130. I paid (almost) full retail for them, but Al's has given me such outstanding service on 2 prior ocassions, that the extra ~$30 over online prices seems worth it. Call ahead and check whether they have your size in stock. If not, they'll get it in the store and give you a call as soon as it arrives (usually a couple of days). Remember that the sizing runs about a half-size big, so make sure they also have a pair a half size smaller in a wider width.

So..... are they comfy? They do look nice. I may have to buy a pair. I'm looking for something that I can walk around in after a days ride that won't hurt my feet. have you wore them around for any length of time? How do they feel?

So..... are they comfy? They do look nice. I may have to buy a pair. I'm looking for something that I can walk around in after a days ride that won't hurt my feet. have you wore them around for any length of time? How do they feel?
I have had a pair for a couple of seasons. As stated, they are well made, quality boots. The soles do not slip and they look nice too IMO. If you personally can be comfortable in boots all day, then they are comfortable. I prefer athletic shoes...so for me, after walking around at a rally/event all day, I am glad to get them off at the end of the night. For an all day ride and only a couple hours of walking...they are great.

Ride safe,

Mark

Funny you should ask. I've been wearing them at least 10 hours/day for the last 2 days to break them in and I'm completely sold. They are very comfortable to me, but perhaps they wouldn't be to folks that aren't used to wearing a boot with a heel..?

And in a "Gay Moment Shared Between Straight Men", our company's attorney exclaimed, "I really like those boots! Where'd you get them?" when I met him earlier today wearing these boots and jeans. This coming from a guy that knows no brand of footwear other than Johnston & Murphy... ;)

I placed an order for a pair of these today. I had to buy them on line as no dealers within 100 miles of me had these in stock. I'll report back when I get them.

WOW, great boots! I have them on now and they are very comfy. These babies are just what I need with my new Russell seat and my short legs. I may be able to reach the ground now! Chippewa boots are a div of Justin boots so they are very well made and very comfy. You can not go wrong with these boots. :fan_1:

WOW, great boots! I have them on now and they are very comfy. These babies are just what I need with my new Russell seat and my short legs. I may be able to reach the ground now! Chippewa boots are a div of Justin boots so they are very well made and very comfy. You can not go wrong with these boots. :fan_1:
I've put over 600 miles on my bike in the last week wearing these boots, and now I can't imagine putting anything else on my feet. These are some of the most comfortable boots I've owned regardless of purpose. Words of advice: find a very good boot dressing and keep them well-oiled. I highly, highly recommend Montana Pitch-Blend Water Repellent Leather Dressing. You can buy it online here: Montana Pitch-Blend Leather Care. Bar none, this is the best stuff you can buy (a 4 oz. jar will last about 9-12 mos.). You won't believe how well it will help get those boots broken in, softened-up and looking like new. :)