AMA weekend at Barber (Now with event Pics added!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
As carefully described in the thread title. It's a ways off, but not as far as it sounds. I'm going, but I don't know yet if I'll be corner-working like I did for AHRMA last fall, or if I'll be a free man (standard spectator.)

I haven't been to an AMA race since Road Atlanta 1985, and I'm not sure if that was AMA or WERA. Really looking forward to it! Camera(s) will be in hand, plenty of batteries in pocket.

It's be nice to see some of our southeastern brethren and sistren sometime over the weekend, maybe over dawgs or sumthin at 29 Dreams.

And they'll be back in the southeast at Road Atlanta, but in August. Who the hell wants to be at the race track in August?!?!??!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And they'll be back in the southeast at Road Atlanta, but in August. Who the hell wants to be at the race track in August?!?!??!!

ME! Love it. Also camping out for Petite LeMans in October if anyone is interested. I'm thinking of going to Barber. The folks @ D and H told me that they would have a tent/BarBQue there.

I'm in. I've been to the last 4, starting in 2004. I think the first one was in 2003. Maybe we'll be able to stake out an FJR tarp like Scab did last year. I don't have a tarp quite that large, and wouldn't be able to stake it out until about noon on Friday, but may be able to take Friday off and do it earlier. Make sure you have your m/c endorsed driver's license and proof of insurance, they set up road blocks to check that. And, not that the squid level is that high for this forum, but they'll have helicopters for those who might try to run for whatever reason. 29Dreams has an awesome breakfast.

Hi all,

Been thinking about going to this event but having trouble locating a bike friendly motel close by. If you all have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see ya there!!!

Terry G

Nashville

Hi all,
Been thinking about going to this event but having trouble locating a bike friendly motel close by. If you all have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see ya there!!!

Terry G

Nashville
What kind of "friendliness" are you looking for? There are cabins at 29 Dreams. Motorcycles only.

Hi all,

Terry G

Nashville
What kind of "friendliness" are you looking for? There are cabins at 29 Dreams. Motorcycles only.
The cabins at 29Dreams are reserved almost a year ahead for the AMA Superbike races. I left them a message asking anyway. I'll let you know.
signed,

bubble burster

ME! Love it. Also camping out for Petite LeMans in October if anyone is interested. I'm thinking of going to Barber. The folks @ D and H told me that they would have a tent/BarBQue there.
October's not August! I was at a Trans-Am at Road Atlanta June of '93, that was bad enough. Stifling heat, no breeze, allergies. . . . When a car would drop a wheel of the edge of the track, the dust cloud stayed up for 10 laps!

And rain there is no relief, either. Then it's just a sauna, with permanent red clay marks on everything you have with you for the weekend. (It is kinda fun to watch the people who think their truck can make the hill, though. . . Not as much of that as there used to be, before the pits on the onside of the front straight.)

Just looking for something close where the bike will be safe!

Hi all,

Terry G

Nashville

Just looking for something close where the bike will be safe!
Hi all,

Terry G

Nashville
Get a ground floor room and bring the bike in! Just don't put it in the bed and sleep with it. :blink:

Actually, the area there is not what you'd call "inner city." I wouldn't have a problem parking the bike.

That said, my brother and I are staying with a friend, who has room for 2 more bikes besides the 5 he already has in the garage.

What's the name of the hotel that Groo and company stayed at for the Barber Vintage races? That seemed pretty decent and bike friendly.

JW

What's the name of the hotel that Groo and company stayed at for the Barber Vintage races? That seemed pretty decent and bike friendly.
JW
Um, no. Not that one. That one was right on the edge of a bad area.

'Course, their bikes stayed safe.

But, then again, the weather was shitty. Maybe that's why.

Hi all,

Terry G

Nashville
The cabins at 29Dreams are reserved almost a year ahead for the AMA Superbike races. I left them a message asking anyway. I'll let you know.
signed,

bubble burster
I don't think I've ever responded to my own post... it's all these voices in my head.
Anyway, talked to 29Dreams this morning... there are no cabins available for the SuperBike races, but there are still tent sites, but are going fast. They charge $27.75 per night, with the total due 2 weeks before your arrival. Talk to Amy... you REALLY need to meet Amy. :dribble: Click for 29Dreams web site

Last Fall, at the AHRMA races, my friends stayed at 'chain' motels in Moody AL -- not too far from the track. If there were any problems at the motel, they probably caused them -- rowdy bunch!

Actually, from what I could see, all was working well -- they got rooms easily and fair-priced. I camped at the race-track. :D

For those who haven't been -- I'd give a trip to Barbers serious consideration.... B) :)

That said, my brother and I are staying with a friend, who has room for 2 more bikes besides the 5 he already has in the garage.
Erm, Chateau Brewswilling filled up before I talked to him. I don't think I said we'd be there this time, though, so sorry if you thought we were. A group of locals are camping at 29D but I'm not convinced I can pull that off again while working at the track. I missed Sunday last year from lack of sleep. Plus I'm wanting to work Th-S and can't fit all the camp-0-crap on the Chicken so that would leave me wet Wed, Th, and possibly Fri nights. Also, "work, break down camp, ride home" is two things more than I want to do on Sunday.

There's a truck heading up from PCola for toting camping gear so I can provide tent and I'll buy another air mattress for you. I think the tent will fit two if our bags are waterproof (i.e. left outside). :) As a warning, though, these guys camping make me look like a librarian in the beer-swilling, cussing, and debauchery department.

If it's easier for you I could probably skip out on Thursday work, even though it's the easiest and most fun day there. I'd really like to go up the fun route in the dry.

Be sure to stop by the D and H Cycle Hospitality Event starting at noon on Saturday for burgers and beverages.

The tent will be behind the back straight in the Fan Zone.

See the separate posting for complete details.

Julio (jemride), John J (icedog75), JamesK and I are riding up from South Florida. We will be camping at Barber from Thursday thru Sunday AM.

We will be looking for you guys there.

Bob

A quick question..All you FJR folk gonna be hanging around the same place you watched from last year? I just found out a friends buddy backed out and I'm getting the tickets! So headed down Thursday morning from Dayton,O. Staying at the Oak Mountain State Park. Hope to catch up with you folks I met last year. See you at Barber!