08 seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushes

Reaction score
Is this seat gonna break in eventually or should I start thinking about options? Yamaha gel? Corbin?

Just did a 4 hr ride and I'm a bit sore.

I thought it was really stiff at first also. I have 1600 miles on my 08 and I am very pleased with it's comfort. This thing looks really good too and a custom seat will not be in my future. Give it a little saddle time before you replace it.

Although I have a Rich's Gel Seat on my FJR, I still wear some kind of padding when I ride. Under my leathers, I wear a bicycling leotard thing that has a butt & crotch pad. Very comfy! B)

Under my Diamond Gusset jeans, I wear a Bohn armor pant.

They also make "shorty" versions if you don't like the long pant thing. Try it. See your favorite bike shop!

I wore my bike shorts, but it was like I could feel it in my bones. I guess it's just been too long since I broke one in.

The seat will begin to break in, give it time. Four rides is nothing. Have 2600 miles on mine and it is getting comfy. Then again, its all relative. Compared to my R1 and WR 450 this thing is the Lay Z Boys of seats.

I wore my bike shorts, but it was like I could feel it in my bones. I guess it's just been too long since I broke one in.

I couldn't ride on the stock seat either. My hip joints, or "sit" bones would kill after a couple of hours. Not just uncomfortable but rather severe PAIN. I had this same problem on other bikes too though so it's mostly me I figure. I had to modify the seat.

Here we go again. Just remember, stock seats are made for people who sit on the bike in a showroom so you feel "comfy". In a nut shell the foam in the stock seat is "too soft"! Not enough support in the stock foam.

The best thing you can do to a stock seat is get rid of it or modify it. Here's a thread that you can start with if you're doing a mod.... Stock seat re-do. I also did mine and there are other members who did the same thing. If you want to spend some more dollars and for a very good seat look up Russell Seats or Sargents. There are others. But you will invariably find that the stock seat really does "suck". If you don't you are in the minority. If you need help getting started shoot me a pm. Take care and good luck. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a Corbin on my 06... :good:

DSCN0654.jpg

Ed... :big_boss:

After about 6000 miles my seat still felt like a board, I finally gave up.

The seat is at Bill Mayers as I type

Getting ready to head out again right now. Gonna do my old folded up towel trick today. Hope to do one of my favorite 5 hr. runs.... If I can make it.

Is this seat gonna break in eventually or should I start thinking about options? Yamaha gel? Corbin? Just did a 4 hr ride and I'm a bit sore.
I found my '04 seat actually too soft...it would soften under compression and end up compressing down to the pan after a long day. I could ride about 400 miles, but anything above that was endurance. I would use a sheepskin after 400 miles to help...longest stock day 660 miles from AR to Wheaton.

I now have a Russell Daylong seat...I LIKE how stiff it is...because it will hold up under multiple long days.

I have only had my FJR a few days but so far it really is not too bad for me but I have not been on any long rides with it yet. I feel a much greater need to cancel a few vibes in the bars and install the Audiovox Cruise. I will say the Bill Mayer seat sure looks good.

Steve, as you know mine is at Rick Mayer now. The stock seat was like being beat with a 2x4 with spikes in it. Good grief. You can try mine when it comes back. Hurry up and put that criuse on - I want to see if yours works.

Rick

I went the Corbin route with the Smuggler, and I love it. I'm not a long distance touring type, but the new seat made a world of difference for my daily commute.. It's stiff too, but it redistributes your weight much better than stock. The Smuggler is great too.

sbernared ...

Does the Corbin fit well and click into place as easily as the stock seat? I love the solo look of the corbin with the smuggler and want to get one as soon as they have the 08 black ready.

Will tyhe corbin front work with the stock rear? Thanks, bill