Vstream Windshield for the 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with national cycle who makes the V stream. I was waiting for them to complete the design and give me the dimesions of this shield. I originally called about 6 weeks ago and was told it would be ready in 6 weeks.

Heres the update: V Stream for the 06 is no where near done. They obviously are having some problems with design. The projected date of completion is September 2006 at the earliest. They also could not give me any real details about the dimesions...but mentioned it being +4 in height.

For those of us of short stature, if we put a corbin on there, then add a +4 shield, we'll be looking through the shield in its lowest position. I think the total adjustment on the 06 is about 5 inches. I'm 5'6 but look over the shield in its highest position. I like the idea of increasing my protection with the shield all the way down because it makes a tremendous difference in the amount of heat thats transfered to my legs. As i move my shield up, i move the heat up with it. But i have no desire to look through this shield at any position. guess we'll have wait and see. The Cee Bailey +2 is looking awefully good about now.

GreyGoose

Thanks GG. Not holding my breath... Maybe it will NEVER get done...

I bought a CB 4+4. I plan on doing a Radman Tip on it. If I have to look through it in the full up position, heck, I don't care. Especially if I'm getting hammered by rain or ????

I'm still running the stock shield for the summer. It needs tipped, too. Maybe do that tonight. Need some M6 screws for that job. (or was it M4?)

Thanks GG. Not holding my breath... Maybe it will NEVER get done...
I bought a CB 4+4. I plan on doing a Radman Tip on it. If I have to look through it in the full up position, heck, I don't care. Especially if I'm getting hammered by rain or ????

I'm still running the stock shield for the summer. It needs tipped, too. Maybe do that tonight. Need some M6 screws for that job. (or was it M4?)
FjrRocket,

I'm planning on holding out untill its done. Then make a purchase depending on what size it is. Like i said, i dont want to make much adjustment upwards to the shield to maximize my coverage, but i dont want to look through it either (espcecially in rain situations ....... thats when you need wind hitting the faceshield to allow the water to shed off the plexus treated plastic).

on your +4, I take it you look over the shield in the fully lowered position. If so, how tall are you?

GreyGoose

Has anyone been using a Vstream on there 06? i heard they had a problem with them initially and corrected it.

can someone give me some feedback on it?

thanx

GreyGoose

Also reported was a 3 inch increase in height over stock. Not sure where those numbers came from. national cycle is claiming a height (straight down the middle) of 20.5. Stocker is 19.

GreyGoose

Mine works great! See write-up in Parts & Acc. forum from last week.

Also commuted to work the other day (135 miles roundtrip) and it was a big improvement.

My afternoon commute is always very windy and the V-Stream worked very well.

As previously stated, the V-Stream is significantly bigger than the stock shield. Shoulders and torso are completely out of the wind. Face and helmet can be blocked as desired, based on the position selected.

Mine works great! See write-up in Parts & Acc. forum from last week.
Also commuted to work the other day (135 miles roundtrip) and it was a big improvement.

My afternoon commute is always very windy and the V-Stream worked very well.

As previously stated, the V-Stream is significantly bigger than the stock shield. Shoulders and torso are completely out of the wind. Face and helmet can be blocked as desired, based on the position selected.
'Hit the Road Jack,

is it actually 3 inches taller than stock?

GreyGoose

I haven't broken out a tape measure, but am inclined to agree with FJRFencer's report:

"The shield over the stocker is a +3 in height and a whopping +8 in width at the top. (4 per side) at the bottom it is a +1."

As I wrote in my initial write-up:

"The V-Stream is substantially larger than the stock shield. Not bad, not too big, but different than the swoopy stock shield. To me, the look reminds me of the windshield on the older BMW R100RT, but in a contemporary way."

A big improvement over the stock shield.

Even better when purchased thru UMotors in Fargo, ND ($136 delivered vs. ~$200 from Nat'l Cycle)!

I haven't broken out a tape measure, but am inclined to agree with FJRFencer's report:
"The shield over the stocker is a +3 in height and a whopping +8 in width at the top. (4 per side) at the bottom it is a +1."

As I wrote in my initial write-up:

"The V-Stream is substantially larger than the stock shield. Not bad, not too big, but different than the swoopy stock shield. To me, the look reminds me of the windshield on the older BMW R100RT, but in a contemporary way."

A big improvement over the stock shield.

Even better when purchased thru UMotors in Fargo, ND ($136 delivered vs. ~$200 from Nat'l Cycle)!
Thanks for the info jack,

Looks like i'll have to find out for myself. I wonder why the guy at national cycle told me the screen was 20.5 inches down the middle. i broke out the tape measure on the stocker and it read 19.

We'll see when it get here. it's done been ordered. Thanks for the tip on U-motors!!!

GreyGoose

As to size. My OEM 06 is 19-1/2" and the VStream is 22", measured from the longest point on the V on the bottom of the windshield. Just installed my VStream yesterday and hope to get it out for a ride today. Looks good. My guess is that I'll ride with it down most of the time, and raise it for additional protection when needed. With the OEM, I had it up most of the time and then lowerd on warmer days.

I took my first ride on my 06 with the new VStream and must say that I am VERY pleased. I'll have more to say after a 5-day trip that I am making in mid-May, but based upon my ride today I really like it. I am 6' 2".

Observations:

:D When riding I find that the VStream really reduces the wind noise and buffeting and provides a pretty quite pocket for the rider (not sure how it would be with a rider, but I ride solo all the time).

:D In the full-down position I still can get some good airflow, so this will be good on a really hot day.

:D In the full-up position I was actually looking through the windshield and was pretty protected from the elements.

:D I found that the best position for me was with the windshield in the 3/4 up position or so. I was looking over the windshield, but there was little wind noise or buffeting. Seemed just about perfect.

Note: When the VStream is in the full-down position it looks very nice. However, when you have it full-up when parked it looks really big. But, since I have left the windshield auto-park hooked up it will go to the full-down when I shut off the engine and therefore will always look nice and sleek. The increased comfort and protection is really appreciate and I look forward to my first big trip with this windshield.

Someone asked about photos. While I was out I took a few with the VStream in the full-up and in the full-down -- the full set can be viewed at:

DaveT's Pics of the VStream on His 2006 FJR

And one photo with the VStream in the full-down position is included here:

147705337-L.jpg

DaveT,

Nice photos, thanks. It does look mighty big in the full-up position, but that's okay by me. I'm ordering one this week. I can't stand it anymore. Must...have...less...wind...was out this morning for just 50 miles in the Columbia Gorge and I feel like I climbed inside our clothes dryer.

Pig

DaveT,
Nice photos, thanks. It does look mighty big in the full-up position, but that's okay by me. I'm ordering one this week. I can't stand it anymore. Must...have...less...wind...was out this morning for just 50 miles in the Columbia Gorge and I feel like I climbed inside our clothes dryer.

Pig
Sounds like UMotors is the best place for getting one -- good service and best price. I ordered mine from National Cycle before I knew I could get it much cheaper.

DaveT,

Pig
Sounds like UMotors is the best place for getting one -- good service and best price. I ordered mine from National Cycle before I knew I could get it much cheaper.
ordered mine last week with filters and some other oem parts 126 before freight he indicated they had good feed back on the shields I asked about the oem tall shield and he said lots of people were liking the vstream (did not say anything bad about the oem tall shield). They sell then for different bikes and said the quality and appearance was the best out there. Also said they were oem for Harley. Will have mine soon and post a ride report.