Vstream Windshield for the 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveT,
Nice photos, thanks. It does look mighty big in the full-up position, but that's okay by me. I'm ordering one this week. I can't stand it anymore. Must...have...less...wind...was out this morning for just 50 miles in the Columbia Gorge and I feel like I climbed inside our clothes dryer.

Pig
Hold off, There is a flaw, I have just done an EXTENDED test on the V. 2000 miles in 4 days of SFO. I just walked in the door and am resting for a sec before I catch up on the yard before the sun goes down. I want you to be fully informed before you buy.

Showered and cleaned up now.

The flaw is the shield is malformed. In my first review of the V last week on a short ride I noted that air is more pronounced on one side than the other here. After looking at it closely at SFO and having time to fidle on the long ride up and back, the shield is not molded symmetrically. I will post pics with what I noted later (hopefully tonight). It was enough of a dif to give me arm fatigue (on extended 200+ mile rides) on the side with more air. The rest of my body was fine. But my right shoulder at the joint was catching just enough wind that it was sore like I had done a heavy workout.

Now I need to catch up with the Fam after 4 days. More details will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Showered and cleaned up now.
The flaw is the shield is malformed. In my first review of the V last week on a short ride I noted that air is more pronounced on one side than the other. After looking at it closely at SFO and having time to fidle on the long ride up and back, the shield is not molded symmetrically. I will post pics with what I noted later (hopefully tonight). It was enough of a dif to give me arm fatigue (on extended 200+ mile rides) on the side with more air. The rest of my body was fine. But my right shoulder at the joint was catching just enough wind that it was sore like I had done a heavy workout.

Now I need to catch up with the Fam after 4 days. More details will follow.
Please give with the details and pics! I was seconds away from ordering one to try.

06v-stream.jpg

The measurements are not to the 1/64 but you get the idea. the bubble is just slightly misshapen, but it does make a big diff in the flow. The high(15/17) side of the bubble needs to be brought down to the 14/16 side for good flow. also on a closer look the V-stream logo in the middle is slightly of center, when on the bike. I don't know if that is part of the bubble thing or just etched in the wrong spot.

Yikes! That was scary fast!

Too bad about the shield. Any chance you just got a dude? Anyone else notice this?

Too bad about the shield. Any chance you just got a dude? Anyone else notice this?
I don't get dudes :p I may have gotten a dud though. Somebody with one grab a tape and check yours out. I measured with a flexible cloth tape.

I have sent this info to National Cycle now and I will post the reply.

I just measured mine with a cloth tape, using the same reference marks as FJRFencer. Mine is symmetrical!

16-5/8" from the center peak to both L and R creases.

14-5/8" from the L and R fwd corners to the creases.

Just wondering... when you installed your V-Stream did you engage the threads of all seven screws prior to snugging them all down? Torque the center screw first, then alternately tighten left and right, lower, mid and top?

I can't image torquing one side first would cause to shield to distort that much, but it may be worth a try to remove it and re-install it.

Arghhhhhh, just when it seemed too good to be true. You guys get this worked out and determine it is one bad shield so I can order mine!! I don't want to wait for the 3rd generation shield... :angry:

Just wondering... when you installed your V-Stream did you engage the threads of all seven screws prior to snugging them all down? Torque the center screw first, then alternately tighten left and right, lower, mid and top?
Middle screw in first, then finger screw the rest. when all are in, then I tighten.

I just measured mine with a cloth tape, using the same reference marks as FJRFencer. Mine is symmetrical!
16-5/8" from the center peak to both L and R creases.

14-5/8" from the L and R fwd corners to the creases
Your measurements fall to the middle of my high/low. sounds like what mine should have been. Maybe I got a bad one.

One more Observation that is to be expected with a larger shield. I dropped about 3 to 4 MPG. Normally I was avg about 42/43. I got 38 to 40 avg over several tanks of fuel.

I don't get dudes :p I may have gotten a dud though. Somebody with one grab a tape and check yours out. I measured with a flexible cloth tape.

I have sent this info to National Cycle now and I will post the reply.
LOL, Dud of course. Keep chiming in other owners, I really wanted to compare this to my Cal Sci

I installed the new '06-'07 VStream on my '06 FJR and did 150 mixed miles, averaging around 55 MPH. This windshield exceeded my expectations.

I am tall:

Height: 6'5"

Inseam: 36"

eat: raised position

With the windshield in the highest position, I still see easily over the top. Could even be 1" higher. I am in a bubble of silence, especially compared to stock. I was even able to dispense with ear plugs.

In the lowest position, I get very good air flow over my torso.

Mileage was 40.5 MPG -- same as with stock.

Looks great and installation was a snap.

Ken C

OK, could we please get more pics of actual member bikes with the Vstream installed? Please?
Did you check out the photos in the link that I included earlier in this thread? Not sure what you are looking for in the photos? If something special, let us know.

Apologies in advance for being a n00b, but can someone with more experience in this area summarize whether or not the vstream v2 is ok for an 06? Seeing "STOP, THERE'S A FLAW" somewhere above spooked me...

Also, I hear a lot about u-motors particularly with the vstream... would this be https://www.umotorsfargo.com/ ?

Thanks!

Apologies in advance for being a n00b, but can someone with more experience in this area summarize whether or not the vstream v2 is ok for an 06? Seeing "STOP, THERE'S A FLAW" somewhere above spooked me...
Also, I hear a lot about u-motors particularly with the vstream... would this be https://www.umotorsfargo.com/ ?

Thanks!
The V is prob ok and I got a flawed one. National has sent me an email asking for pics, and I will try to get them some tonight.

Yes that is U motors

I checked the measurements on my 06 VStream and it is symmetrical -- no issues at all. Was out on the bike again today and must say that this is the right windshield for me. Very pleased. Wish I had saved a few bucks by getting it from University Motors, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

OK, could we please get more pics of actual member bikes with the Vstream installed? Please?
Did you check out the photos in the link that I included earlier in this thread? Not sure what you are looking for in the photos? If something special, let us know.
Duh! Don't know how I missed those.

Mine should arrive this week.

Just for grins, I put the stock shield back on for the last two days (ouch!), then re-installed my Cal-Sci (which is very good), and now I await the Vstream. I'll keep whichever turns out to be the best for me.

Hey pilot.. Let us know which you prefer....Could you post compare pics of the 2 after markets againts the stock??

Hey Thanks Dave for your pics.

Later....ride um up right