Almost lost it yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I was out riding yesterday, since the weather was great, and I had to go to my brothers to pick up my Pazzo levers. Anyway, on the way back home I had a pretty good scare.

I was pushing pretty hard (Spring Fever?) and started into a long right hand sweeper going faster than I should have. Right before the apex of the curve, my eyes jumped to a patch of gravel in the middle of my side of the road. I change my line to avoid the gravel, but by doing so I start to wander into the on-coming lane. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. Now my eyes are jumping from the center line, to looking up the road for oncoming traffic, to the growing closer far shoulder of the road. I was either unable, or unwilling to lean the bike over more, and eventually committed to going off of the road onto the grassy far shoulder. I was able to keep the bike upright, and eventually get back on the road, but if there had been anything on the shoulder, I would have gone down for sure. More scary to me is that if there had been any oncoming traffic, I would more than likely be dead.

I didn't get the shakes, and didn't feel the need to pull over or anything, but I was pretty conservative the rest of the way home.

More than anything, I have been thinking about what I did wrong, and what I could have done to correct the problem once I realized my line was blown.

First, I know I was going to fast. It is to early in the season for me to be pushing as hard as I was. The roads are still covered with crap, and my skills are rusty. Next, I think the fact that I allowed my eyes to wander to the far side of the road took me to where I was looking. I honestly don't know if I could avoid this, since I needed to look for on coming traffic, and I think I looked at the shoulder when I realized that the need to go onto the shoulder might be real. I know I didn't have the bike leaned over as far as I can lean it, since I didn't scrape any parts.

OK you peg grinders, what else did I do wrong? Please ask questions if my description is confusing or not complete enough. More than anything, I want this to become a learning experience, and to avoid being in the same situation as much as possible.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been in that exact same situation (though nearly), Trigger, but it sounds like you did about all you could. You may have had target fixation, and probably could have leaned harder. Was the road completely dry? The fact that you kept it together says alot for your reaction-time and experience. Phil

First line 2nd paragraph I think has it all "Spring Fever", if you have been laid up for some time, just take it easy for a bit.

Anybody that has been riding long enough has screwed up like that one time or another. The key here is that instead of blaming it on the gravel, you accept that you were going too fast for the conditions, and didn't allow for a hazard in the road. In a sport as unforgiving as this, it's really nice to get a break like that.

I haven't been in that exact same situation (though nearly), Trigger, but it sounds like you did about all you could. You may have had target fixation, and probably could have leaned harder. Was the road completely dry? The fact that you kept it together says alot for your reaction-time and experience. Phil
The roads were completely dry. Other than the patch of gravel, the conditions were perfect.

When you're going fast or you're going slow gravel gives us the pucker factor.

Whenever I see that shit I try and change my line. Sounds exactly what you tried to do also.

The speed is what changes the whole scenerio here,everything happens so fast,you did well," ride the bike" as many have said before.

You did exactly that and avoided a bad scene. Where you live is more prone to having that crap on the roads later in the year because of the weather.

Maybe a little recon of road conditions before would help to.I've had similar experiences you did well.

It sounds like you already learned alot from your mistake. I did something similar a few years back jumping on the feejer after riding my VFR for a couple of weeks straight. I tried throwing the bike around the same way I do when I'm riding the Honda and it didn't quite work out as well as I thought it would. I ended up losing my line and crossing over the oncoming lane onto the shoulder the same way that you did. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic and it was a nice flat, grassy, firm shoulder that I ran up on. I agree with BUGR that it was Spring Fever related when we all have a tendency to push a little bit harder than we should. Up here in the northeast you not only have to worry about the crap thats littering the road but you have to deal with frost heaves, potholes, expansion joints, etc...

I'm glad everything worked out for you Trigger and I think the experience, although negative, will make you a better rider.

:dribble: GLAD everything turned out okay for you! :clapping:

I would say rustiness plus speed plus fixation finally did you in. Glad it didn't really do you in. :yahoo:

BTW, been there done that.

Thanks for sharing...good reminder for us getting the bike out of the winter storage...

...hear this all you Ohio Ramblers....

The roads were completely dry. Other than the patch of gravel, the conditions were perfect.
In that case, one possible course of action (since you had already ascertained there was no oncoming traffic) would have been to shove that right handgrip down to the tarmac as much as practical, weight the inside peg, and keep your eyes on the vanishing point of your right-hand-sweeper until you had crossed back over the centerline. Easier said than done, depending on your prevailing speed/conditions.

Scary business, this.

If you couldn't even stay on the outside (oncoming) lane and had to off-road it, then you were certainly well in excess of a reasonable speed, which you already admit and are were aware of (now).

Slow down a bit, please.

Glad it wasn't any worse than that, Tim. I think you did a good self-evaluation. Sounds like you weren't able to scan the surface of the curve for hazards.....or maybe you just forgot. As far as not being able to press and lean once you crossed the center line, you were able.....just not willing. Having gone through a similar situation, I recall CONSCIOUSLY thinking that I had to press harder to avoid running off the road and my right arm just saying "screw you, did you see what almost just happened!" and refusing to press. All I could do was straighten the bike and do a quick stop.

There really is some validity to the "slow, look, press and roll" method of negotiating a curve. Doesn't sound like you slowed nearly enough. Can't tell if you looked through the curve (either couldn't or didn't). You pressed, at least up until you discovered the gravel, and could not roll on the throttle through the curve because your entry speed was to high.

Again, very glad you're OK.

Awwwwwwwww..............trigger didn't wanna join the crash club? We have many illustrious pups in our circle of shame.

cc member #17.

It is probably worth mentioning that the road was of the type where they put down small gravel on tar, and then let the traffic smash the gravel down to a smooth surface. Because of this I was not able to spot the gravel until the last second, since the color blended perfectly with the road surface. If it had been gravel on a blacktop road, I would have picked it up much sooner.

I guess more than anything the thing to be learned is slow down. Sometimes that is much easier said than done, especially after a 5 month winter!

or unwilling to lean the bike over more, and eventually committed to going off of the road onto the grassy far shoulder.
Tim, Glad you are ok. You already know to slow down. Highlighted part is the real problem. That should almost never happen. Always ride the bike no matter what. Most people that go wide could have saved if they only followed this simple rule oif just riding the bike and looking not for the ditch but to where they should be.

It is harder then it sounds for some people, but practice makes it perfect. First off, start by getting those words out of your lexicon. Second. start training your eye and mind to ignore what is not important. Yes, left shoulder is not important. Being on the right of the yellow is. Go on the parking lot where there are cars and find a space big enough to do turns. Start making tight turns and do not let those cars distract you, but still maintain them in your peripheral vision.

As far as gravel is concerned. There are times when there is nothing you can do but to ride thought it. Just ride the damn bike like there is nothing there. Do not roll off, do not touch brakes or clutch. And keep looking where you need to be and do not forget to breeze. :) Even if the bike starts to slide, just keep doing what you are doing and chances are the you will make it. if you start questioning your self you are done.

Few years ago I am two up first bike going into a nice 90 degree marked at 15 at about 30. Gravel all over the turn, wife did not even realized what happened until I stopped after seeing smoke in the rear view mirror coming from a single rider on a much more capable for turning bike, R6, then my FZ1 is. After talking to a guy answer was simple. Saw gravel, panicked, down he went.

Parallel the the gun shooting, since I know you like that. remember when you just started out with a nice 45, every shot just blew your mind off and you lost the sight for a split second. eventually you have learned to ignore the BIG bang. Same here, train your brain to do the right thing.

Thanks for sharing. And stay right. :)

My opinion is that conditions might only be perfect on the track. Anywhere else we must allow room for things like that. Glad lane departure/off-road excursion came out okay.

[SIZE=8pt]The roads were completely dry. Other than the patch of gravel,[/SIZE] the conditions were perfect.
Yes sir, but YOU weren't. We who are fortunate enough to ride nearly year-'round, do not have as steep a learning curve as those of you who must store/park your bikes for the Winter.

Remember that your technique has to be inculcated into your brain & muscle memory after the riding lay-of. Thank goodness your experience came through and you survived this "adventure".

Now...go check your FJR seat for "pucker marks", and be careful!

I guess more than anything the thing to be learned is slow down. Sometimes that is much easier said than done, especially after a 5 month winter!
Yep! I was amazed at how "rusty" I was after my 5 month recovery. At least I recognized my need and have taken it easy as I relearn and reapply my riding skills.
AND...I hate target fixation! Especially when I know better and do so in spite of myself.

Trig, I am sure several people have told you this basic point. Look right at where you want to crash. I gar-on-tee your get within inches of it. I keep telling my boys this when they ride their bicycles... at least on of em gets it :)

Oh and by the way if you dont want to crash, look to where you want your bike to go :)

My opinion is that conditions might only be perfect on the track. Anywhere else we must allow room for things like that...

Well said.

Trigger, unless your on a race track with corner workers flagging corners, you need to plan for the unexpected...gravel, oil, car in your lane, whatever...if you ride at or near the edge of skill or ability on the street you have a very small safety margin. As you pointed out you never know until you go through the corner the conditions. Better off to enter on the slow side and smoothly accelerate through the turn once you see it is clear which maximizes your safety margin for the "just in case" situation you found yourself in.

What that safety margin varies for each and everyone of us.

Glad you didn't drop it and didn't get hurt and most of all learned from it. :clapping:

Best part is you get to practice your skills and techniques now while it is fresh in your mind. I love practicing on as twisty and tight roads that I can find. :)