Tahoe, Monitor Pass, Tioga Pass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HYCLE

Hooligan #2
Reaction score
Friday night we rode up to South Lake Tahoe and stayed at the Station House Inn. We lucked out with a ground floor room and parked within 6 feet of the room. Saturday morning we had our complimentary cooked to order breakfast then walked around Heavenly Village. Checked out of the room and off to the wedding at 11:30 am.

IMG_2808.jpg

As we were leaving a Black Cherry FJR pulled in to the wedding chapel parking lot.

James from Elk Grove and his new bride.

IMG_2910.jpg

We put on our gear and headed for Monitor Pass.

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Then down Hwy 89 to Hwy 395.

IMG_2920.jpg

Our plan was to head south on 395 to the town of Walker for dinner and a bed.

I decided we had time to run up to Topaz lake for a look.

IMG_2932.jpg

The West Walker Motel looked bike friendly and the owner even brought me a board to put under my kickstand.

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

After checking in at the desk and getting setteled in the room it was dinner time.

We decided on the BBQ place across the Hwy.

IMG_2938.jpg

Had a great nights sleep and left the motel at 7 am for breakfast somewhere down the road.

We rode along the Walker River and stopped to add some clothes, my mesh jacket was a tad chilly.

IMG_2945.jpg

We saw two bikes parked in front of a cafe and decided to join them for breakfast.

IMG_2948.jpg

Inside we found Ryan and John had just finished eating. They said to say Hi to Warchild.

IMG_2951.jpg

We gassed up at Mono Vista and then headed up Tioga Pass.

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

I gave this pretty lady $20.00 and she let me in Yosemite Park.

IMG_2964.jpg

Terri gave it a go with the way too big camera as we rode along through the park.

IMG_2974.jpg

After a little practice she got some nice shots.

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

We stopped at Tenaya Lake.

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

Terri took more pictures as we rode.

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

Last stop in the park (pitstop) near the park exit at about 11:30 am.

IMG_3046.jpg

From there we put the Digital SLR away and headed for Lunch. Decided to point for home instead of Sonora, so lunch was in Oakdale. (sorry no more pictures from here to home)

Here is the link to a slide show of all 139 pictures we took.

Slideshow Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report, you guys, and very good pictures.

I gave this pretty lady $20.00 and she let me in Yosemite Park.
IMG_2964.jpg
There's the best benefit of the birthday I just celebrated (not the gal). Next time I pull into a national park, and I'll be seeing a lot of them this summer, I'll give them ten bucks and they'll give me a plastic card that gets me (or any vehicle I'm in) into any national park for FREE for the rest of my life, what little of that there'll be for an old fart my age). :rolleyes:

Nice report .....

So, how was this place?? Nice to see you hitting some of the quaint places.

IMG_2942.jpg

I decided we had time to run up to Topaz lake for a look.
IMG_2932.jpg
Oh yeah, Topaz Lake & nearby Topaz, home to two wonderful and all important Z's during the WORD! Rally last month. That picture looks identical to the one I took. Beautiful riding in that area and Walker Lake, not to mention nice & curvy 89.

Great report and pictures!

Hi Mike, it was really cool to see you there in Tahoe when Shannon and I pulled up to the wedding chapel. It was great talking to you and Terri. Looks like you had a great ride home. I'll try to post a pic of my new bride and I on the bike a little later. That's a nice pic of us, thanks for the post, super cool. Talk to ya later, James.

Thanks for the pictures. I'd forgotten how cool that Yosemite country is. Its been many-a-moon since grad school in S Cal and weekends climbing in the valley.