Dyna beads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
I just finished pouring in my Dyna beads and took it out for a ride. First thing I noticed was a significant drop in handlebar vibration (I was riding w/o gloves). The second thing I noticed was the flat spot in the throttle I thought I had (between 4-5K the vibration increased a fair bit) just about disappeared, not completely, but a big reduction. I'm sold!!! They work.....and yes I did take the weights off. I just made sure I poured in at least an equal amount of weight in beads.

Just FYI,

I had heard a lot of positive things about the beads and ordered four pounds of them to keep around the house. I usually buy my tires online and refuse to pay the $30-$40 bucks per tire to mount them on rims that have already been removed from the bike. Some bike shops won’t mount tires purchased anywhere except from them. So I bought the equipment to mount my own tires.

When I was out in Fontana at the Super Bike races last April, I had asked the guys from Dunlap about the effectiveness of the beads. They stated that the whole idea was useless. But I got the impression that many tire manufacturers and the people that make the expensive balancing equipment are dead set against anything that will take big bucks from their pockets. I can understand that, but on the same token, I understand people not wanting to get ripped on soaring prices too! IF the beads work as well as claimed, there will be lots of money lost.

I have not used the beads as of yet. I have two sets of new tires, the machinery and the beads just waiting for when I need to replace them. I hope they work as well as I’ve heard.

Yeah they work great alright. I love em. I have over 3500 miles now on the PR2's I poured them in when new. The bike is consistently smooth at any speed! There is no sign of cupping on the front tire at all yet. I hope to increase the overall total milage I get out of the tires, because of them. I'm sold and will use them in all my future tires too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like beads, too. Chicks love them even more.........it's get's kinda nasty from there on out...............

What amount was poured in for front and rear?

Did you put them in via the valve (core removed)?

I just finished pouring in my Dyna beads and took it out for a ride. First thing I noticed was a significant drop in handlebar vibration (I was riding w/o gloves). The second thing I noticed was the flat spot in the throttle I thought I had (between 4-5K the vibration increased a fair bit) just about disappeared, not completely, but a big reduction. I'm sold!!! They work.....and yes I did take the weights off. I just made sure I poured in at least an equal amount of weight in beads.
Just FYI,

A guy I know who is sort of a speed freak (East Coast Timing Association top speed runs) told me last year that he liked dynabeads and had been impressed with how smooth his bike was at high speed with this approach to balancing.

I asked him again yesterday because I'm getting ready to put tires on one of my other bikes. He said that not only had they given him a smoother ride, but the usual 2500 miles he was getting out of the Metzeler SporTec M3s had extended to 4000 miles.

I am getting a set of M3s and the dynabeads on Monday. If they're good, I'll get some more when the FJR is due for tires (should be soon).

I use Ride On and it also balances the tires. The up side to ride on is that it seals tire punctures instantly. I have a MX-5 that comes with no spare, just an air pump and slime, so I added ride on to the tires. It felt like the tire were way out of balance for the first 5 miles, then the jell settled into the tires and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I pulled one nail from the MX-5 tire and never lost any air, that's what made me decide to add it to my bike tires. Add it and take a 10 mile ride, then your set.

A guy I know who is sort of a speed freak (East Coast Timing Association top speed runs) told me last year that he liked dynabeads and had been impressed with how smooth his bike was at high speed with this approach to balancing.
I asked him again yesterday because I'm getting ready to put tires on one of my other bikes. He said that not only had they given him a smoother ride, but the usual 2500 miles he was getting out of the Metzeler SporTec M3s had extended to 4000 miles.

I am getting a set of M3s and the dynabeads on Monday. If they're good, I'll get some more when the FJR is due for tires (should be soon).
Anyone able to explain the physics of how these things are supposed to work to balance a tire/wheel combination?

And per a post above, what if any effect are they supposed to have on tire cupping?

I guess it just doesn't occur to me how either of these issues might be positively affected by having dynabeads rolling along in the tires.

What amount was poured in for front and rear?Did you put them in via the valve (core removed)?

I have them in mine and called the vendor to be sure about the amount, he said on our Tire Sizes, each one should use 2oz's. And yes, they are applied via the valve stem with the core removed.

https://www.tntperformancedyno.com

Different bike from the FJR. New tires today. Front tire took an ounce. Rear tire took two ounces. No labor charge. The beads cost $2/ounce, so the total cost was $6.

I thought my tires were balanced just fine using the conventional approach... And, after the test ride, I would say that they are equally well balanced using the bead approach.

Now we'll wait and see if there is any significant change in tire life. As far as whether or not the balance is good, I can't complain. They seem very smooth.

Anyone able to explain the physics of how these things are supposed to work to balance a tire/wheel combination?

And per a post above, what if any effect are they supposed to have on tire cupping?

I guess it just doesn't occur to me how either of these issues might be positively affected by having dynabeads rolling along in the tires.
Cupping is more related to pressure (lack of) and design of the tread blocks. I'm sold on the DynaBeads, but can't see them help cupping, zits, the common cold...

Cupping is more related to pressure (lack of) and design of the tread blocks. I'm sold on the DynaBeads, but can't see them help cupping, zits, the common cold...
Thanks to mcatrophy for the link to the explanation. I guess I'll have to think about that one, but note that they suggest that plugging or patching a tire may cause it not to work. I'm plenty happy balancing my own tires, so I guess this is mostly a fix for a problem that doesn't exist for me, but still, interesting if you guys find it works.

As to the cupping, well, yeah -- that was my thought too: when beads start fixing tire pressure and tread influenced issues, I'll buy some so they can smooth out the ups and downs of the stock market, too. :lol:

As a person that sells and uses angled valve stems, I don't think I want any objects in my tires that are moving around and could come in contact with the valve stem where it is bolted to the rim. I'm afraid of damage to the stem and then a resulting leak or sudden loss of air pressure.

As a person that sells and uses angled valve stems, I don't think I want any objects in my tires that are moving around and could come in contact with the valve stem where it is bolted to the rim. I'm afraid of damage to the stem and then a resulting leak or sudden loss of air pressure.
Since the beads are free to move about, the centrifugal force will always pull the beads away from the rim and onto the inside of the tire when the bike is in motion.