Dyna beads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had the bead in my roadsmarts for almost 6k miles now. Ride is as smooth as the day the tires were new. I love the beads, great ride and no ugly wieghts hanging off my rims

I got home from Daytona Beach, and took a 55 mile ride on a loop that includes several miles of nice twisties, some switchbacks, and several miles of four lane semi-limited access divided highway.

This longer "test ride" has lead me to the following thoughts on the beads.

1. On switchbacks, where speed changes rapidly and lean angle is large at the apex, my impression is that I can feel the beads drop out at low speed. I don't like this. It is subtle, and maybe I'm imagining it, but it feels real. Granted, at low speed balance is not an issue, but feeling a weight shift in your tire is a funny feeling.

2. Beads seem to work great on the slab (see 3 below), and in sweepers. Not bad in regular non-switchback twisties either.

3. However, on the slab, when there are opportunities to get up over 80 mph, I sense that balance is less good. I am wondering if this is because of the amount of the beads and the amount of attention paid to proper allignment of the tire and rim to minimize the amount of weight required for good balance. If this latter problem is dealt with sloppily on the theory that the beads will take care of any problems that might arise, then it may be that an ounce or two of beads is not enough.

I'll keep making notes I guess... but tonight I'm thinking I'll balance the next set of tires myself. The beads appear to be sort of a simple way of getting good balance at legal speeds on the slab, and in sweepers. I am thinking that a more conventional approach to balancing will also get good performance under these circumstances, and may be better under some other circumstances.

Tire balancing is such an easy thing. I just don't understand the need for the whole bead thing.

Well, except during Mardi Gras. At which time the need is quite obvious.

NB: I found several fine pictures of beads being worn at Mardi Gras, none of which met with forum guidelines for good taste. In lieu of that I will present another reason that beads should be worn at the Fat Tuesday festival. It's so wimmens don't have to do stuff like this:

Bud_Weis_Er.jpg

Tire balancing is such an easy thing. I just don't understand the need for the whole bead thing.

NB: I found several fine pictures of beads being worn at Mardi Gras, none of which met with forum guidelines for good taste. In lieu of that I will present another reason that beads should be worn at the Fat Tuesday festival. It's so wimmens don't have to do stuff like this:
I think the beads are just more reliable compared to letting unskilled tire monkeys try their luck with lead and stick'em.

I wonder if Anheuser Busch approves of this picture. I'm not drawn to their product by this buggeyed advertisement :unsure: .

I think the beads are just more reliable compared to letting unskilled tire monkeys try their luck with lead and stick'em.

I wonder if Anheuser Busch approves of this picture. I'm not drawn to their product by this buggeyed advertisement :unsure: .
Yeah, no kidding. I think the BeeGees wrote a song about it:

"Sad Eyes"

Looks like it's over

You knew I wouldn't stay

When your tits would hang that way

We've had a good thing

I'll miss your sweet love

Why must you sag at me that way

It's over.....

Ohhhh

Sad eyes

Turn the other way

You don't want to see me cry

Sad eyes

You knew there'd come a day

When I would have to say goodbye

Where are you guys buying your DynaBeads?
JW
Here ya go. Just click the link below.

Dynabeads

They do work. I purchased a 20 oz. bag. It's cheaper that way, but you will need a way to weigh them out. You want 2 oz. in the rear and 1 oz. in the front.

You can just buy a 2 oz. bag and a 1 oz. bag if you don't have any way to weigh them.

I took them to work and weighed them into the small plastic bottle, then put a lines on the bottle for 1 oz. and 2 oz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, no kidding. I think the BeeGees wrote a song about it:
"Sad Eyes"

Looks like it's over

You knew I wouldn't stay

When your tits would hang that way

We've had a good thing

I'll miss your sweet love

Why must you sag at me that way

It's over.....

Ohhhh

Sad eyes