Stebel Horn Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3870

Reaction score
I need some opinions from the pros here. I have made a custom mounting bracket for the Stebel Nautilus horn. The bracket attaches to the two bolts between the forks, which are used to attach some type of plastic guard. I seem to have plenty of room between the horn and the front fender so I am not worried about bottoming out. I do have a concern about reduced air flow to the radiator.

The nice thing about this location is there is no cutting of cowling required. Any thoughts or concerns on this?

P7142247.jpg

Bracket

P7142249.jpg

Installed

P7142262.jpg

Front view

P7142244.jpg

Relay Location

Oh, BTW, I have cut off the ugly white zip tie to clean things up a bit.

Interesting idea. I have a Nautilus horn that's been sitting in my garage for 9 months waiting for me to have an opportunity to install it (the last available time was used up installing my awesome Audiovox cruise control). FJRandy had a good idea that involved splitting the horn apart from the compressor and mounting the parts on each side of the radiator connected by air hose. Randy's install

Are you sure the horn won't hit the fender? The only way to fully check would be to pull the caps on the forks so that you can completely collapse them (like could potentially happen on VERY hard braking with a bump thrown in for good measure). Then you'd know for sure that there's enough clearance. I'm trying to visualize your install and also wonder about side clearance, especially with fork dive thrown in. If all that checks out, it sure looks like an easier way to install those horns.

I wouldn't be too concerned about airflow to the radiator because air will still go around the horn. I would definitely keep an eye on the temp guage during hot weather to be sure though. Highly unlikely, but worst case you'd have to pull over and let the bike cool if it gets too hot.

Interesting idea. I have a Nautilus horn that's been sitting in my garage for 9 months waiting for me to have an opportunity to install it (the last available time was used up installing my awesome Audiovox cruise control). FJRandy had a good idea that involved splitting the horn apart from the compressor and mounting the parts on each side of the radiator connected by air hose. Randy's install
Are you sure the horn won't hit the fender? The only way to fully check would be to pull the caps on the forks so that you can completely collapse them (like could potentially happen on VERY hard braking with a bump thrown in for good measure). Then you'd know for sure that there's enough clearance. I'm trying to visualize your install and also wonder about side clearance, especially with fork dive thrown in. If all that checks out, it sure looks like an easier way to install those horns.

I wouldn't be too concerned about airflow to the radiator because air will still go around the horn. I would definitely keep an eye on the temp guage during hot weather to be sure though. Highly unlikely, but worst case you'd have to pull over and let the bike cool if it gets too hot.

PLEASE report back, as if clearance isn't an issue, I'm following your lead.

It is tucked back a ways giving me approximately 5 inches of clearance. I had the bike on the center stand and bounced up and down on the front forks without an issue. I will be riding through the desert on the way to NAFO so I will monitor the temperature.

Should there be any concern about water and/or road gunk being rammed (up) into the funnels? :dntknw:

Should there be any concern about water and/or road gunk being rammed (up) into the funnels? :dntknw:
That was another concern of mine. I may run a tube from the air intake to a protected spot up in the fairing. I am hoping the horn itself is weather resistant.

That was another concern of mine. I may run a tube from the air intake to a protected spot up in the fairing. I am hoping the horn itself is weather resistant.
I've had my stebel horn mounted infront of the rear tire of my VTX for over a year now. It's low to the ground and gets debris from the tire thrown at it and its going strong.

i've had my stebel mounted to the left passenger footpeg bracket of my fj for apprx 3 years now with no issues.

dean

cincinnati

Last edited by a moderator: