Maupin Romp: PNWFOG Fall Get-Together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
With some of the tastiest twisties and sweetest sweepers this side of the Beartooth Highway, Central Oregon is a motorcyclist's delight! Hwy 218 from Shaniko to Fossil - as an example, is one of those stretches of pavement that is precisely what the FJR was made for; fast sweepers rolling into stacks of hairpin switchbacks launching you into and out of some of the most gorgeous high desert canyons you've ever laid eyes on. Sheer unadulterated fun!!

A large group of us had so much fun there earlier this year I couldn't resist putting together another Maupin romp before the PNW weather turns ugly. This time though, I thought an overnighter might be just the thing; end-of-the-day beers, barbecue and bench racing by the Deshutes river which runs right across the back yard of the Imperial River Co. hotel. Sounds like fun, huh?! Details below:

What: Maupin Romp: PNWFOG Fall Get-Together

Where: Maupin, Oregon

When: Saturday, 10/4, thru Sunday, 10/5, 2008

Base: Imperial River Co., 304 Bakeoven Rd, Maupin, Oregon 97037

If you're staying overnight, make reservations ASAP! The Imperial River Co. hotel has ample rooms available now, but they do fill-up fast. Reservations can be made online by clicking the link above. (Try as I might, I couldn't get them to give us a room discount unless I was willing to buy up a block of rooms. Uh.... No.) A continental breakfast is included in the room rate.

I'll post up some suggested rides in the coming weeks. In the meantime, clean off your calendars and make plans to be at the PNWFOG Maupin Romp, October 4th & 5th, 2008. See you there!

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't even try to sass the waitress at the Imperial River cafe. Seems like Escapefjrist & I should be able to sneak out the house again. Paging panman... Oh Mr. Panman
I spoke to her (Breeze) and the owner (Susan) this afternoon. Breeze remembered us from April. She said we looked like a crowd that could drink and that she'd make sure the cooler was well stocked before we got there. What service!! :D

Well alright if y'all insist. I'll have to clear this with the SO... :blink: ... any constructive suggestions ?

The PR2's have barely cooled off as it is. Wish me luck.

--G

Way to go, Marty. I'm there.

That place stocked Pendleton Whisky, too. Excellent...

Can you send me a gps file so I can get there! please o please mr m :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I will have to check to see if I will be in Palma de Majorca or Singapore (work ahhhh).

Well alright if y'all insist. I'll have to clear this with the SO... :blink: ... any constructive suggestions ?

--G
Uh, let's see... You're going to negotiate a peace treaty with aliens that have threatened to destory earth? You're going to join a cult? You're going to ride motorcycles, drink beer and swap stories with your friends? (Nope, scratch that last one. Sounds too much like the truth to be plausible...). Whatever you do, lie. They appear to like that... ;)

Sounds like a good time. Sign me up. :D
Excellent!! I'll try to be on time for this one! ;)

We (meaning me) never did get a hit off that bottle of Pendleton you stashed in the water jug for oh-so-many miles out to Golden. That's it, sneak your woman in under the cover of darkness, drink all the booze and then leave. Yeah, gee thanks, Pig! :lol:

With some of the tastiest twisties and sweetest sweepers this side of the Beartooth Highway, Central Oregon is a motorcyclist's delight! Hwy 218 from Shaniko to Fossil - as an example, is one of those stretches of pavement that is precisely what the FJR was made for; fast sweepers rolling into stacks of hairpin switchbacks launching you into and out of some of the most gorgeous high desert canyons you've ever laid eyes on. Sheer unadulterated fun!!
I start my vacation in Joseph on Sept 05 and make my way to Bend on the 7th. I have put together 3 routes to choose from (there are probably many more) so its nice to hear that the roads are so good. I think my sheer unadulterated fun will last about 3 weeks and then I'll have to start saving to come back again.

day1.jpg

Dave, glad to see you're still on schedule. I'm still planning on meeting up with you in Joseph. We can buy each other birthday beers!

And Mr. Monkey, at least I should be able to make this one, we'll have to see if the Mrs. wants to go.

Dave, glad to see you're still on schedule. I'm still planning on meeting up with you in Joseph. We can buy each other birthday beers!
And Mr. Monkey, at least I should be able to make this one, we'll have to see if the Mrs. wants to go.
Dennis PM sent as you posted this

I think Mrs. SockMonkey will be going as well. (She said she'll go so long as she doesn't have to feel you up again..! :p )

We (meaning me) never did get a hit off that bottle of Pendleton you stashed in the water jug for oh-so-many miles out to Golden. That's it, sneak your woman in under the cover of darkness, drink all the booze and then leave. Yeah, gee thanks, Pig! :lol:

This has been troubling me, as well. Do you suppose it was intended for a more elite crowd, or maybe it was just a myth? Perhaps Pony or Mr Carver have a theory? And how on earth could he find a more elite crowd than our group? Maybe he went down to the Greyhound Depot and shared the goods with that bunch?

PS: I would love to do the Maupin thing!

This has been troubling me, as well. Do you suppose it was intended for a more elite crowd, or maybe it was just a myth? Perhaps Pony or Mr Carver have a theory? And how on earth could he find a more elite crowd than our group? Maybe he went down to the Greyhound Depot and shared the goods with that bunch?
I have no defense to this.

--G
Uh, let's see... You're going to ride motorcycles, drink beer Canadian whiskey and swap stories with your friends?
Fixed it fur ya...and it worked! :D Thanks for the ideas. Count me in, looking forward to seeing everyone again and re-sampling some of those tasty Oregon roads.

--G

Just made reservations for Friday and Saturday night. Bringing the misses also.

See you then

I'm in. Thanks Marty! :)
If Jon can't make I'll volunteer to be the guy who takes the action pictures.
Perfect! The "snake" on 218 that descends down onto the valley floor from Shaniko (heading towards Antelope) would be an awesome place to set a video camera. I think bikerskier had a serious pucker moment there last April. Something about "finding neutral" in the middle of a 15 mph hairpin while scraping a peg. Ooops! :eek: