Who wants to put their bike on a dyno for free?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I recently posted some evidence of my performance gains and got quite a bit of criticism for not having any valid baseline data for comparison. Then Gary in Fairbanks (PA1195) graciously offered to donate some money toward a "good dyno session" to get some real data. The problem is that my bike is already fully modified, so I need someone else's stock FJR to get a baseline dyno pull for comparison.

So who has a stock Gen II (2006-2009) FJR and would like to meet up at D&B Cycle Parts in Warren, MI on a Saturday to provide me with baseline data? The cost of of the dyno pull for your bike will be 100% covered by me and any donations I get. I'll probably even buy you lunch :)

If anyone else is curious about what performance gains they might have gotten with mods to their Gen II FJR, this would be an opportunity for you to meet up with us and get results with comparison to a stock FJR on the same dyno on the same day. I was quoted $50 for a basic dyno pull for HP/TQ chart, but we could also try to get some kind of group discount or save some money by squeezing a few dyno pulls in with the hourly rate dyno time that I'll be paying for to finalize the tuning on my bike.

If anyone else is interested enough in some hard numbers on the amount of performance gains you would get with my mods that they are eager to donate a few bucks to help cover the dyno time (and someone's lunch), you can send it via PayPal to [email protected]. Blame Gary for this idea :) . All donations will be refunded if I can't find anyone to bring their stock FJR along for a baseline measurement.

Here's the mods to my bike that will be tested:

Once I get the Motty AFR Tuner to adjust fueling to a good air/fuel ratio for wide-open throttle, I will get HP/TQ charts with both the Remus Hexacones' removable baffles in and out. The results of both will be posted along with the results of the stock FJR HP/TQ chart for comparison.

I have a stock 07-A. I'm about 200 miles away from Warren, 3-1/2hrs according to google maps taking superslab up. I might be interested in riding up on a saturday if we could find one that works for everyone, including mother nature. What are you thinking for timing on the dyno?

extrememarine has first dibs on the free dyno pull and lunch via PM. He just needs to get through the break-in period on his bike first. I'm also still within the break-in period on my bike (just did the 600-mile oil change the other day), so I think we should both be ready for dyno time around the same time. This is also good because we will be comparing 2 bikes with nearly identical mileage (please don't even get started on the possibility of different break-in techniques causing variances in the potential power in the 2 bikes; this is the best comparison you'll get).

What are you thinking for timing on the dyno?
I think I'll aim for 2-3 weeks from now on a Saturday, weather permitting.

Or if you mean "amount of time spent on the dyno", my guess is that will take about 2 hours to get my bike dialed in and get my final HP/TQ results. For anyone else that is just getting a quick HP/TQ chart, I would imagine those go pretty quick; maybe 15-20 minutes or so?

If by "timing", you mean "time of day", I dunno. Maybe it would be best to meet up for an early lunch (brunch?) then try to get started on the dyno around 12pm or 1pm.

Ever get your bike on the dyno yet?
Not yet...

extrememarine tells me he has fully broken in his new bike and is ready to sacrifice it to the dyno gods to get baseline numbers for me. Now we just need to find a day that we can both go.

IT'S GO TIME!

extrememarine and I have an appointment for a dyno tuning session on July 25th. Look for uneccessarily excessive analysis of the results within the days following.