My Mirror Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
So I've had the infamous FZ1 mirrors on my Feej since I bought it (eBay $19) and they worked OK at the start. I now realize they are sh$t!!!!!! I am referring to the quality of the eBay mirror, not the design/purpose/extra view of the mirror itself!!! I tried adding a stronger bolt, but they required continuous tinkering. the right side would constantly rotate down, and the left would fold in at hwy speeds no matter how tight I made them. CRAP CRAP CRAPOLA CRAPSTER call it what you will but I was about to buy the authentic mirrors from a dealer when I came up with this crazy idea.

Back when I had my FZR1000 I used to flip the mirrors (R to L) so they would hang lower on the bike. Well I had this left over rashed up mirror, from a crash way back when, and I thought I would try it on the Feej. Well it worked!! Now I just had to find another one.......eBay was too much and the dealer was unreal ($175 each). I managed to find a supplier in Canada Motovan.com, and I could order parts from them through a retailer. I found replacement 1987 FZR1000 mirrors for $22 each!!!!!! I know what your saying........"didn't you learn your lesson the first time, you get what you pay for you know!!" That's true but to my surprise these mirrors are rather good quality. This is my story...........

1987 FZR1000 mirror (they also fit the FZR600 and couple other model years of the 1000)

mirror1.jpg

As you can see, the holes didn't line up, so I had to break out the drill................

mirror2.jpg

Mounted

mirror3.jpg

With the mirror now.............

mirror4.jpg

The final result!!!!

mirror5.jpg

fjr.jpg

How do they work??? Great!!! You can see the bar end in the mirror and a bit of your hand, otherwise it's about the same view as the FZ1 mirrors (not quite). Might give you a half a second on the quarter mile LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats wrong with the FZ1 OEM mirrors? Bought mine from Ron Ayers for around a $100 I think. Its been a year or so since I put them on, they work perfect.

Thank you bin of facts, what a great resource of info! It has saved me many times from trial and error. :)

The whole point of the FZ1 mirrors is to get longer stalks so you don't watch your elbows all day, you can actually see behind. Those look like they're actually shorter[/i[] than stock. What gives? And th FZ1 mirrors that are supposed to be used fit with no mods, bolt right on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of the FZ1 mirrors is to get longer stalks so you don't watch your elbows all day, you can actually see behind. Those look like they're actually shorter[/i[] than stock. What gives? And th FZ1 mirrors that are supposed to be used fit with no mods, bolt right on.
My FZ1 mirrors are great as woofshee stated I can see around my elbows now. Not sure how they work better for you either, as they do look shorter. If they work for you, great! 

I just thought I would try it and see if it would work.......and it does. They are shorter than stock (and the FZ1) but the view point is lower so it lines up with the bars and your hips. Not as wide as my shoulders at this point, although that may not be the case for everyone. I'm not knocking the FZ1 mirrors, just the eBay ones. If your going to buy them, buy the factory ones. Time will tell once I get a bit more "road testing" done. This may not be for everyone, but I kinda like it
<_<

mattster31,

Good to know what may/may not fit. Great info.

I remember changing out those round FZR1000 mirrors on my '93

for the "NEW" rectangle styled ones that came on the '94s. I am guessing those would

fit the FJR too.

WW

Has anyone tried flipping the stock FJR mirrors? The low angle theory could work if they don't give a view of the bags.

Well, after a few days of testing my mirror modification, I am happy to report that it................

sucks!!! I thought initially it would give me an OK view. Granted, not as good as the FZ1's, but OK. As some of you may have thought the mirror position doesn't give ANY view directly behind. I pretty much have to pull a "crazy Ivan" to get a view behind me. So as I was crying in my garage and contemplating life in general, I came up with another idea. I removed the FZ1 brackets from the mirrors and re-installed them on the bike. I then re-attached the FZR1000 mirrors (cause I can't return them now). What this did was move the mirror lower, so now my view is truly under my arms along the long axis of the bike (just above the bags). It gives me a full view behind me now!!! YAY!! The only thing that looks odd is the rubber jacket over the bracket, as it has to conform to a different shape. I will post up a few pics in the next day or so.