Ghetto rigged highway pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyman

Reaction score
So i did this

2.jpg

It's a 4 inch of metal pipe with threaded ends. I put electrical tape on the end and threaded one side into the frame slider, then put a cap on the other end. It's about an extra 4 inches. I tested them out for about 15 minutes, and they feel good. Still nice and tight and no wobble. So we'll see how it goes for the next week before i go on my trip in a couple weeks. Hopefully it holds together so i'll have a different position to put my legs when on the trip

i don't plan on going anywhere close to full lean with these in there. but they are pretty high and up outta the way.. i bet they wouldn't hit no sooner then the side bags

Well, maybe.

But you might want to read up on the fellas that dumped their bikes because their folding highway pegs touched down at the folding point.

Personally, I don't ride enough on the "highway" to bother with highway pegs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think those would cause the bike to pinwheel in the event of an accident? The sliders will grind down; I reckon a bolt won't.

After buying a set of 905 crash bars and some highway pegs, I'm not sure if I am going to install the pegs. I am concerned about the wrecks involving pegs, and even the 905 cage isn't really designed for spirited riding.

I am a little surprised that a sport touring bike doesn't have a better highway peg solution ... it was my one gripe on a recent 1200 mile trip.

This is why i'm only tryin them out right now. Then on my trip i'm takeing in a couple weeks, i'm going to be 2 up and not hitting any twisties, if there are some, it def won't be gettin hit hard. This mearly so i can be comfterble and not have to pull over to rest a lot

Do you think those would cause the bike to pinwheel in the event of an accident? The sliders will grind down; I reckon a bolt won't.
After buying a set of 905 crash bars and some highway pegs, I'm not sure if I am going to install the pegs. I am concerned about the wrecks involving pegs, and even the 905 cage isn't really designed for spirited riding.

I am a little surprised that a sport touring bike doesn't have a better highway peg solution ... it was my one gripe on a recent 1200 mile trip.
Soon to be rectified!

(Next project for me) I kinda like the inginuity and this would definitely fall under the cheap ass farkle award consideration.

Just make sure you keep her straight up. :glare:

Put your feet up and enjoy the ride. If we worried about what could happen everytime we go out for a ride we wouldn't leave the bed in the morning!

I highly recomend using some pipe dope on them to prevent leakage. :rolleyes:

J/K of course. Being height challenged I probably could reach them anyway. lol

So after a couple days of riding, i'm really liken my new "highway pegs" I even accidently tested the lean. Peg hit and the highway peg wasn't even close. So i'm really liken these. Tried all positions, and they all feel good. So i'm bout to sand and paint them black and keep them for my trip...

Maybe you should paint them red for shin protection, or install some type of pointy spinner on the end, it would be like the chariot races in Ben Hur.

No offense, I'm just having some fun. I like your thinking, I once made a rack for my Yamaha Maxim out of 1/2" copper tubing and fittings, solder it all up and painted it.

Be safe :yahoo:

Lets call this the mother of all inventios. First you start with an idea than the mock up than the final design and the rest is history..

I wonder if i can patent the idea.. I call dibs damnit. No one take my idea.. Quick, removable, and strong highway pegs that fit in your fram sliders. :)

...and maybe you could hang a Stebel Nautilus horn out there, you know, so you get the best sound projection?

Check with Patriot for tips on that mod... :p

If you look closely you can see mine I made a long time ago. I used pvc pipe and jet-ski grips, that way if the bike does go down, they will just snap off real easy. Oh and the pegs scrape the ground before these ever will
recent108.jpg

I wonder if i can patent the idea.. I call dibs damnit. No one take my idea.. Quick, removable, and strong highway pegs that fit in your fram sliders. :)
Too late. :angry2: I already have the patent and you owe me for copying my idea. :blink: You can send payment to my paypal account. ;)

I made some similar ones over a year ago to test whether it would be comfortable riding with my legs up there.

peg_closeup.jpg

They are made of thin wall tubing with environmental heat shrink tubing over the part section sticking out of the slider. They are great for highway trips to allow different leg positioning and allow cool air to blow up my pants.

They also increase the slider effectiveness in some type of drops. I was riding in a gravel parking lot where some idiot had filled a pothole with PEA! gravel. :angry2: I happen to hit the edge of said pothole with my front tire and the front end just rolled to the side, dumping the wife and me on the ground. Luckily the extra extension of my sliders kept the fairing off the gravel :yahoo: and I ended up with only minor scuff marks on the bag and muffler.

Looking for a more permanent and versatile solution, I ended up going with a folding peg type similar to THIS setup

I attached a plain black rubber peg directly to the slider insert (no dogleg) and painted it all black. The pegs fold up when not in use.