RZ350’s Gen II Mods, Part 9 - Side Case Platforms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZ350

Reaction score
Link to all my Gen II mods

To keep things common between my bikes, I store my helmet in the left side bag (the Tiger's right case is too small)- it just makes the gearing-up ritual easy if things are similar between bikes. The Tiger holds the helmet in there fine while on the kickstand, but on the FJR, the case isn’t deep enough to hold the helmet in with the lid open. So you are forced to catch the helmet as you swing the lid open to keep it from dropping down. This can be eliminated by added a platform extension on the “floor” of the cases.

4326282097_d4ab253891_o.jpg

I used some 1/4” plastic material with a couple of little rubber bumpers sticking up to hold the helmet from sliding. My goal here was to have this platform stick out as far as possible without interfering with the closure of the lid. If you look closely at the inside of the lid, you will see exactly where it rubs. I also wanted it to reverse and store it the other way when not needed. With proper placement of the screws, this can be achieved. I added “keyhole” slots where it fastened to make it easy to remove. Holes were drilled and tapped and large head screws were installed (be careful not to drill through the bottom of your case!). With just the perfect friction between the plate and the screw head they can be popped out without tools yet stay in place while riding.

4326281905_609207e272_o.jpg

4327016564_18e5d615b7_o.jpg

4326282027_fe21fa0fc6_o.jpg

Honestly, after two years, I have yet to remove them or even flip them to their storage position since they have never been in the way. I think I sometimes just add the extra functionality (and complexity) to make it interesting. :rolleyes:

If you don’t feel like reaching down so far to reach the side case lids, a simple mod you can do is wrap the lid strap around its anchor point.

4327016754_75b32116ec_o.jpg