Race Techs New G3-S shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynotride

Reaction score
A big thanks to Richard and Jeff (Fairlaner and HaulinAshe) for hooking me up with Race Tech. I let Race Tech borrow my bike for 3 weeks to fabricate a new suspension set up for the FJR. I am now the proud owner of the very first G3-S shock with remote preload and G2-R fork cartridges with gold valves up front.

I have to say my bike feels like a race bike now. I did 500 miles of twisties this weekend and I can really feel a huge improvement in handling. No matter how hard I pushed thru the curves the bike stayed planted and felt thru solid as a rock.

racetech005.jpg

racetech004.jpg

racetech006.jpg

racetech011.jpg

racetech003.jpg

racetech017.jpg

racetech019.jpg

racetech022.jpg

Stock pieces they gave back to me-not pictured but did get the stock shock back

racetech023.jpg

Nice. How much $$$$?

My only criticism is that the preload adjuster doesn't seem to be in a very accessible place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in the price too. Another concern is anyone with rear sliders from Belgium most likely won't be able to mount the remote there. Not sure about those with rear crash bars.

I am not to sure on the price but with the discount they gave me and what I paid for it I would guess around 1200 bucks.

It doesnt look like the webpage has been updated yet but you can contact them thru the website. I will send an email to my contact tomorrow and see if he knows of a price if anyone is interested.

race tech

That looks great!

I'd be curious to know how it compares to the Penske and Ohlins rear shocks, and the Traxxion or GP Suspension fork work. Price is certainly attractive!

RaceTech and I will be coordinating a group buy opportunity for this forum, as soon as the final details are ready. It's realistic that the entire system, front & rear, with remote preload, will cost less than $1,400.

Those people who ride mostly solo, who do not switch back and forth between solo unloaded and fully-loaded 2-up, will not need the remote preload option. Your system should cost around $1,200.

At this point, I only have the front setup. I'm supposed to get rear shock #2 for testing and finalized instructions. I have the FJR specific instructions for the front already in RaceTech's hands.

The fronts do require complete disassembly of the fork cartridges to replace the valves (at this time). IMO, not everyone will be comfortable doing that extensive work on their forks. But there will be some of us (hint-hint) that can (for a modest fee) or RaceTech can do the work also.

Stay tuned. It's going to be great to see some real competition for Ohlins!

Good job guys!!!

Dan;

That looks awesome, and the price seems pretty good for both front/rear.

Look forward to this. Race Tech is local here in SoCal. I need my front forks done here pretty soon. ;)

Niec work setting this up guys and it would be hard for me to imagine anything better than the Penski set up I have now. Really loving this new suspension.

If there's a group buy for the RaceTech set-up, I'm definitely interested! I haven't done anything aside from the recommended adjustments to the suspension and think getting the bike properly sprung and valved has just got to be wonderful! I'm sitting off to the side anxiously waiting to see if this pans out and what the final cost would be... I'm going to guess that the RaceTech shock has got to be every bit as good as Ohilins or Penske... I just wonder how much of a difference the gold valve kit up front makes...

If there's a group buy for the RaceTech set-up, I'm definitely interested! I haven't done anything aside from the recommended adjustments to the suspension and think getting the bike properly sprung and valved has just got to be wonderful! I'm sitting off to the side anxiously waiting to see if this pans out and what the final cost would be... I'm going to guess that the RaceTech shock has got to be every bit as good as Ohilins or Penske... I just wonder how much of a difference the gold valve kit up front makes...

I will have to bug Jeff once again to see where we are at with this group buy. I know I have been extremley happy so far with my new set up and I have put a few thousand miles on the bike since it got installed. The gold valves up front really helped take away the mushy feeling the bike had in the twisties and it is alot cheaper then the traxxion set up.

I am interested in the price too. Another concern is anyone with rear sliders from Belgium most likely won't be able to mount the remote there. Not sure about those with rear crash bars.
Retraction......... I just installed my G3 shock, and all went well. Uses a different mounting point than the rear sliders. Lots of room to mount the remote with their included bracket. Now...... can I go darkside? Looks like it might be tight but OK.

Next..... how to dial all those adjustments in.....

Just got back from a 2 day twisty fest in Nor Cal with my new Race Tech suspension setup and all I can say is WOW! At 20k the old suspension was showing it's age and this new setup is incredible. Never even felt the need to adjust anything, bike was so solid through rough corners that just last week threatened to buck me off the road. Can't wait to try the setup with wifey on the back to see how well the remote preload works with the new valving. I paid a little more because I had them replace the bushings and seals in the forks plus I had my local shop do the labor on the forks. Two grand never felt like better money spent.