• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ground Spider overload harnesses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

road runner

Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion about the Gen II ground spiders, and ways of fixing, helping, bypassing etc. So instead of going over all that again here are 2 links back to the topic. Poll thread for bikes that have been affected, and discussion thread for talking about fixes.

Let me say first I would like to think Yamaha will fix this before someone gets hurt, because they are a quality company and we should probably wait until then before doing anything. But for those of us that do not want to wait there are many ways of fixing this.

I have purchased the crimping tool and made 2 headlight and 2 fan T-harnesses for the spider overload issue on my bike. They are a plug & play deal. No cutting, soldering, or altering the factory harness. They also require no spider hunting, because some of them are very hard to get to.

By installing these overload harnesses they not only take the fans & lights out of the loop, but they add 4-16ga. ground wires to the ground loop instead of relying on one. By running the fans and lights neg. wires direct to ground that is taking roughly 20 amps. away from the factory harness, therefore lightening the load on the spiders. The overload harness also runs the factory harness neg wire at each location direct to ground. So the 2 headlight harnesses would add 2 more ground wires. One to the S7,and one to the S8 spider, and the S6 spider would also be able to ground threw them , along with the factory wiring. The 2 fan harnesses would add 2 more wires from ground to the S4 (BLACK WIDOW) spider, so this will give the S4 spider 3 ground wires instead of 1, and the S1,S3,and S4 spiders could ground threw them.

These overload harnesses not only lighten the load on the factory harness, they also beef it up by adding ground paths. And again this is only one of many ways to fix the spider overload issue. It is just the way I preferred to do it and I thought I would offer it to the community.

Headlight T-harness

100_0471.jpg

Fan T-harness

100_0474.jpg

Link to harness installed pics link

Edit 3/14; Changed cable routing pics of the left side due to header heat. It may have been OK, but better safe than sorry.

I have enough material coming to make 10 more of each T-harness. I will have them made in 2 weeks. If they sell then I'll get more material and make more. For anyone interested the price is $20.00 ea. for the headlight harness (2 required) and $15.00 ea. for the fan harness (2 required) plus shipping. I will check on the Pack and ship price so it's one flat rate and post back later. If you want to do both lights & both fans you will need 2 of each harness.

Purchase info will be posted as soon as I find out about shipping. Until then post up here if you have any questions.

Edit 3/9; Shipping will be $6.00 anywhere in lower 48 states. Canada will be $12.00. The shipping charge will be per order, not per harness, so whether you order 1 or 4 harnesses just add $6.00 or $12.00 for shipping.

To purchase threw Pay Pal my email is [email protected] or just email me for alternate payment. When using paypal please use the personal tab.

Once I have recieved payment I'll ship it out.

Thanks; Art Cooper

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in a set (both lights and fans). USPS has a flat rate small box which should hold them.

What panels / fairing need to be pulled?

Glad to see you have correct colored bike!!!

Roy

I'll put you on the list.

You will need to R&R the front cowling right inner panels 1 & 2, and front cowling left inner panels 1 & 2, according to FSM. AKA as the A,B,C,D, panels in the owners manual(all the black panels in the upper inner fairing). This will give access to the headlights.

Then you need to R&R the left then right side lower cowling. This will give access to the fan plugs, and to run all wires to the engine. On the right side I put the harness grounds to the same local as the battery ground cable. On the left I put them in similar location on left side of engine. They are crankcase flange bolts, not main bolts, so torque is only 7.2 lbs. ft.

Thanks; Art

road runner,

Just received the T-harnesses tonight - thanks for the speedy delivery. It looks like a very comprehensive kit and should do the trick. Nice job building the harnesses - very professional looking. I'll update you when I find time to install them.

Thanks again for offering this service. Good luck to you.

RZ

Hey road runner,

I installed the harnesses this weekend and all went well, so I thought I would give the full report...

I started out this maintenance session with a spark plug change and while in there, I got a chance to inspect and black widow, S4, for any signs of overheating. Luckily none were found, but I still proceded to install your T-harnesses to prevent any future problems.

Pulling the lower side panels off was easy and because the sliders had to come off too, it gave me a chance to snap a few shots of my custom highway peg mounting (off of the bike) to post in my other thread. Your harness length was perfect and the connector terminals felt very tight when slid together. In fact, all connectors looked identical to the OEM versions and I liked how the crimped portion of the terminals had what looked like heat shrink on them. The fan T-harnesses were extremely easy to install - everything was right there staring you in the face. The headlight connectors were just a bit harder to reach because of their location, but really no problem at all. Removing the A,B,C, and D panels makes this job easier, but I actually think I could have reached the headlight connectors without having those panel off as you can see and reach the headlights coming up from the bottom. My recommendation to anyone installing these is to first give it a try without removing the dash panels and if you can't do it, then pull them off to gain some more access.

After completion, I started up the bike and checked all functionality. I let the bike idle and cycle the fan on and off for a while. And both headlight's high and low beams worked fine.

Thanks again for putting this kit together. It gives me piece of mind that the fans and headlights (about 20A) are now completely out of the original harness ground path and routed directly to ground with a separate wire each. Furthermore, the remaining harness load (potentially another 20A) is carried through 5 wires (instead of just 1) back to ground. This is a very simple yet effective solution to the grounding issue.

RZ350

RR, I think this offer is pretty cool. If I had a Gen II, I would certainly put in an order. Thanks for giving back to the community.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Gen II ground spiders, and ways of fixing, helping, bypassing etc. So instead of going over all that again here are 2 links back to the topic. Poll thread for bikes that have been affected, and discussion thread for talking about fixes.
Let me say first I would like to think Yamaha will fix this before someone gets hurt, because they are a quality company and we should probably wait until then before doing anything. But for those of us that do not want to wait there are many ways of fixing this.

I have purchased the crimping tool and made 2 headlight and 2 fan T-harnesses for the spider overload issue on my bike. They are a plug & play deal. No cutting, soldering, or altering the factory harness. They also require no spider hunting, because some of them are very hard to get to.

By installing these overload harnesses they not only take the fans & lights out of the loop, but they add 4-16ga. ground wires to the ground loop instead of relying on one. By running the fans and lights neg. wires direct to ground that is taking roughly 20 amps. away from the factory harness, therefore lightening the load on the spiders. The overload harness also runs the factory harness neg wire at each location direct to ground. So the 2 headlight harnesses would add 2 more ground wires. One to the S7,and one to the S8 spider, and the S6 spider would also be able to ground threw them , along with the factory wiring. The 2 fan harnesses would add 2 more wires from ground to the S4 (BLACK WIDOW) spider, so this will give the S4 spider 3 ground wires instead of 1, and the S1,S3,and S4 spiders could ground threw them.

These overload harnesses not only lighten the load on the factory harness, they also beef it up by adding ground paths. And again this is only one of many ways to fix the spider overload issue. It is just the way I preferred to do it and I thought I would offer it to the community.

Headlight T-harness

100_0471.jpg

Fan T-harness

100_0474.jpg

Link to harness installed pics Link

Edit 3/14; Changed cable routing pics of the left side due to header heat. It may have been OK, but better safe than sorry.

I have enough material coming to make 10 more of each T-harness. I will have them made in 2 weeks. If they sell then I'll get more material and make more. For anyone interested the price is $15.00 ea. for the headlight harness and $10.00 ea. for the fan harness plus shipping. I will check on the Pack and ship price so it's one flat rate and post back later. If you want to do both lights & both fans you will need 2 of each harness.

Purchase info will be posted as soon as I find out about shipping. Until then post up here if you have any questions.

Edit 3/9; Shipping will be $5.00 anywhere in lower 48 states. Canada will be $10.00. The shipping charge will be per order, not per harness, so whether you order 1 or 4 harnesses just add $5.00 or $10.00 for shipping.

To purchase threw Pay Pal my email is [email protected] or just email me for alternate payment.

Once I have recieved payment I'll ship it out. Remember I won't have anymore parts for about 10 days.

Thanks; Art Cooper
Now if one has Brodie's spider harness, are your t-harnesses still needed/beneficial?

Alfredo

I will take a couple of fan harnesses when you get them in. I think tripling the ground paths is probably sufficient. Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scubatech

I added you to the list. I'm waiting for more connectors from Japan. I'll let you know when they are built. Should be here sometime next week.

Which 2 harnesses do you want ? The 2 fans, or the 2 lights ?

Either way you will be adding 2 more 16ga wires to the ground path, but I would think the lights would be most beneficial, because they are on all the time. So by adding the 2 light T-harnesses you would be taking that constant load from the lights out of the ground loop.

I personally put all 4 in, but I don't know for sure if they are all needed. A little extra wont hurt.

Thanks;

Art

Scubatech
I added you to the list. I'm waiting for more connectors from Japan. I'll let you know when they are built. Should be here sometime next week.

Which 2 harnesses do you want ? The 2 fans, or the 2 lights ?

Either way you will be adding 2 more 16ga wires to the ground path, but I would think the lights would be most beneficial, because they are on all the time. So by adding the 2 light T-harnesses you would be taking that constant load from the lights out of the ground loop.

I personally put all 4 in, but I don't know for sure if they are all needed. A little extra wont hurt.

Thanks;

Art

Thanks Art. I guess i was thinking of the fans as one and the lights as the other. Sounds like I better do it all while I am at it. Just let me know.

Ken.

I just received enough plugs to do all 4 harnesses for 5 bikes. I've only ordered 5 at a time , because they have been going slow, and I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of harnesses.

I'll be making them up this week.

Next on the list; Chivvalry

Scubatech

If I run out again, no problem, I'll order more. Just post up here or PM me if your interested and I'll know how many to get.

Thanks;

Art

OK, put me on the list for 2 of each harness (Lights & Fans)

Nice seeing you in the Notch this weekend. The restaurant we were originally headed to was closed but we ended up stopping at another place called the "Brew-Ski". It turned out to be really nice.

Ed.

OK, put me on the list for 2 of each harness (Lights & Fans)
Nice seeing you in the Notch this weekend. The restaurant we were originally headed to was closed but we ended up stopping at another place called the "Brew-Ski". It turned out to be really nice.

Ed.
Ed

Your on the list. I have the plugs, and will be making them this week. I'll post up when they're ready.

Yeah it was nice seeing you and the other half, it's a small world. When you went by I said to Pete, I wonder if that's Ed. You turned around, and sure enough it was.

We went threw the notch and then took 22 south. What a boring road that was, but we had to get home quick. I didn't get home until 9;00.

Art