• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ground Spider overload harnesses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed tonight . . . had my 10 year old son "helping" me . . . teaching him about tools and mechanics . . . anyhow, very simple and straight forward install . . . really love the "plug and play" design . . . feel much more confident and comfortable about he whole "spider bite" issue . . . I will pull the spiders apart, clean them, and add some dielectric grease to them whioe doing general maintenance . . .

Received my two sets of harnesses this morning and installed by lunch-time. No problems even for someone with big mitts like mine!

Thanks for the fast delivery and all I can say is "It's a work of Art"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Don

If I have an S-4 spider, for example, that is burned and getting close to failure (but still works) and I install this harness, will the spider last indefinitely or would it need to replaced at some point?

In other words, if the spider is injured, will the harness heal its wounds?

If I have an S-4 spider, for example, that is burned and getting close to failure (but still works) and I install this harness, will the spider last indefinitely or would it need to replaced at some point?
Must be a good question, no answers.... Or maybe in the wrong place?

I'm not an expert, but my guess is that once corrosion starts it doesn't want to stop.

MartyA, you had a catastrophic spider failure and installed Art's harness and it worked for you, right? Do you even need Yammy's main harness thats on backorder?

Must be a good question, no answers.... Or maybe in the wrong place?

I'm not an expert, but my guess is that once corrosion starts it doesn't want to stop.
Sorry guy's , but I was riding the Green & White Mountains all weekend.

My harness wont heal the spider, but it will help it by turning the 2 fan ground wires into chassis ground wires. Therefore lightening the load by taking the fan grounds out of the spider.

If it is caught with only, the one connector that goes to ground, bad. Then the overload harness will work, because that will give it 2 more grounds.

I agree that once corrosion starts it wont stop, however I don't think it is just corrosion. It may be corrosion, but I think it's heat induced. If the only connector in the spider that fails is the one that goes to ground, then I think it's an overloaded connector. If that wasn't the case, then we should see other random connectors in the spider fail, and my harnesses wouldn't help that. Without being able to see these burnt spiders, before they totally fail it's hard to say for sure, but if Marty's worked I'd say it was just the 1 wire going to ground, and that would be from being overloaded.

My inspection, as best as I could considering the location of the durn thing, is that the one corner terminal toasted just a little, but it caused a complete stoppage. In Wyoming I took the spider off and tried to scuff it to see if that would make contact, but it didn't. See my post where I went to the dealer where my bike was, still dismantled and dead, and I took a length of wire from my pocket and stuck one end under the S4 spider and wrapped the other end to the frame and the bike started right up. I provided a direct path from S4 to the frame. Art's harnesses don't do that exactly, but they take away most of the load going through S4's one corner wire.

I don't know if the dealer left that jumper wire connected that I used to "jumper" S4. Come to think of it, if that S4 ground wire is corroded and not making contact, and then I plug in Art's harnesses, it should still not run, yes? Art?? Once that corrosion is enough to break the connection it is now an insulator.

I wonder if my jumper wire is still attached to S4 and the frame? I'll look tomorrow.

By the way, the dealer called me and said he had two OEM harnesses ready to install. They were completely surprised as the main harness is still on back-order, yet there it is. While we were talking I found out the Yamaha Rep was in last week. I don't know what a "Yamaha rep" is or does, but the dealer dragged him right back to my nearly dismantled bike and gave him the story. They said he said little and took some notes. I asked if he looked surprised about the S4 situation and they said he acted like he was paying attention while they spoke but they got the impression he already knew what they were telling him. I wasn't there, just relaying what they told me. New wiring harnesses go in on Monday.

And I just realized this is in the Group Buy section - shouldn't it be in the problem section?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if the dealer left that jumper wire connected that I used to "jumper" S4. Come to think of it, if that S4 ground wire is corroded and not making contact, and then I plug in Art's harnesses, it should still not run, yes? Art?? Once that corrosion is enough to break the connection it is now an insulator.
I wonder if my jumper wire is still attached to S4 and the frame? I'll look tomorrow.
NO.

It will run. It will ground threw the overload harness.

If you look at my harnesses you will see that the fan/light neg wire goes to ground. That will ground the item to the chassis and take it out of the spider.

Also the original factory harness neg wire that use to go to the fan/light goes to chassis now. This wire comes from the spider. So for every overload harness added you add a ground wire to a spider. So if the factory ground wire is bad, then it will ground threw one of the overload harnesses.

Here's a drawing RZ350 did of the overload harnesses I'm making. clicky

The overload harnesses not only take the high load away from spiders, but they also add ground wires to the spiders.

So if that wire you added is still in there, take it out, and it will still run. It will ground threw the overload harnesses added.

Received harnesses today...very professional work Art! I plan to install these tonight during my prep for the ride to NAFO tomorrow...no need to risk adding another 2007 to the bitten list while away from home. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Received harnesses today...very professional work Art! I plan to install these tonight during my prep for the ride to NAFO tomorrow...no need to risk adding another 2007 to the bitten list while away from home. ;)
Glad to hear you received them in time.

Have fun at NAFO :glare: I'm jealous.

Ride safe

Art

Glad to hear you received them in time.

Have fun at NAFO :glare: I'm jealous.

Ride safe

Art
Plan to...we'll see ya at some other event. :D

My install is done...took all evening (first time I've taken off that much plastic), but she's all buttoned up and everything appears to work. The only real difficulty I had was with the right headlight connector...the OEM connector had zero slack in it and fought me all the way while trying to tuck it out of the way with the harness plugged into it. So with an inoculated electrical system and a half-assed polishing job, the bike's ready to hit the road. :D

Got my package yesterday. Quality looking stuff. Thanks Art! Now I just have to find the time to do it. Flying to MA this weekend, so it will have to wiat until next at least.