Single Best Farkle Ever - what have you added that you rate as #1?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
OK, so I checked pages deep in the never-ending-recurring-thread section... and given it's Wednesday, I might sneak under the Friday dogpile if I start this now...

On your FJR...

What's the single best farkle you've added?

Opening it up a bit - what's the single best farkle you've ever added to ANY bike?

Not a list of things you WANT to add, but trying to capture the best of the best form people's experiences and usage.

Mine:

Thus far - <b>seat beads </b>- worked wonders to improve long-ride comfort thus far.

UPDATED: ...Heli Risers... :D

UPDATED: ...V-stream wind screen... :D

UPDATED: ...Airhawk seat cushion - by far... :D

UPDATED: ...Sargent seat... even better than the Airhawk! Combined, they are VERY cushy - maybe too cushy... :D

UPDATED: not really a farkle, but... Michelin PR2s... :) Amazing tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands down - My StarCom Digital and 2-way radio - so I can talk to my wife when we ride together! She has the same setup on hers, but I'm not sure she'd agree that that StarCom and radio are her best farkles.

Runner-up is the plug for my Gerbings heated jacket - I run cold so I use the heated jacket often in the spring and fall.

ian

#1 I mounted some citylights on the underside of my frame sliders. They look hot and make me way more visible in traffic.

#2 Brake away cruise control and grip heaters.

Vista Cruise Throttle Lock.

I've got lots of farkles I really like that make my FJR a better bike (including AudioVox cruise control), but the VC is the one thing I absolutely could not live without.

Hum.. interesting question. Factoring in cost, I'd say NEP throttle lock. Next would be the VStrom hand guards (yes Ashe, I know, they look like shit, but factoring median riding temps around these parts.... its a no brainer!).

After that, things get muddy.. Rick Mayer seat, Audiovox CC, GPS, Cal-Sci windshield and the list goes on..

WOW. Hard to answer that.

The blond's version would be easy: peg extenders and floorboards. I'd be tempted to go with that, since it also added to my comfort, but that only applies on two up rides, so I can't really say it's the "best".

The stock seat was THE worst single component, so just replacing it with an aftermarket seat has a compelling argument for "best" farkle.

Best bang for the buck: not even close -- Vista Cruise.

The one that has most changed long distance rides for the better, most contributed to my anticipation and planning of rides, best allowed sharing of routing info with others and is, therefore, probably my "BEST" farkle** (though it sat on my garage shelf for two years before installation): Garmin 2720 and GadgetGuy mount.

** I KNOW madmike2 and Bluestreek will get a kick out of that choice, having been on the other end of my radio transmissions the first day I rode with it (day 1 of 14 centered around CFR 2009) and discovered a completely different world. In the two years I'd had it, I had never even used it in my car.

1) RADAR...V1

2) HID lights

3) Heated grips

bail-bonds-1f.jpg

keep one card in the tank bag, and one in your wallet.

Cruise control, hands down.

Distant second: Scala Rider Teamset intercom.

Even more distant third: GPS

My "best" farkle was my Russell seat but the most essential farkle was the Throttlemieiter throttle lock.