RZ350’s Gen II Mods, Part 16 - Auxiliary Lighting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZ350

Reaction score
Link to all my Gen II mods

I’ll be completely honest - my wife and I don’t like to ride our bikes much at night. We just feel that the likelihood of a motorist not seeing you is greater. So I didn’t necessarily buy this for nighttime riding, but mainly just to be a bit more visible during the day. I’m sure other forum members can give their opinions on the best nighttime lighting packages - I really can’t.

Last year I got a great deal on a Martin Fabrication light set and they turned out to be a quality product. The metallic silver paint matches other bits on the bike, and the ribs cast into the housing even matches the front turn signal lines. The kit came with plenty of adapters so I didn’t have to scavenge the parts bins to mount them (actually leftover parts when in the bins!). Mounting them down low on the forks gives a nice “triangle of light” as some call it, for good conspicuity.

4522102506_02f07a9419_o.jpg

4522102560_758fdccecf_o.jpg

4521469899_e6dd5e7ec7_o.jpg

Though the main power for the lights comes directly from the battery, I elected to switch the relay via the power lead to the OEM heated grips. The unused connector is located down below the glove box. This wire powers up after the engine starts so the aux lights come on when the main headlights do, thus giving you full cranking power. See my wiring diagram for color coding of the connector body and wire you need to hook to. Eastern Beaver can supply the mating connector half if you want an OEM style hook-up to the heated grip connector.

I had a little trouble figuring out how to mount the lighted ON/OFF switch that came with the kit, but eventually came up with something I liked. The switch doesn’t have any mounting screws so you must cable tie it down. I cut out a piece of black plastic that the switch could tie to and then this plate slips over some bolt heads (friction fit) to hold it secure.

4521252649_afae8e4989_o.jpg

4521252689_25caf5a449_o.jpg

RZ350 - I appreciate your posts documenting your mods.. matter of fact I have most of them copied and pasted into Word so I can have them should the forum blow up. Just thought you'd like to know..

RZ350 - I appreciate your posts documenting your mods.. matter of fact I have most of them copied and pasted into Word so I can have them should the forum blow up. Just thought you'd like to know..
Is that the best way to archive this stuff? I've been using File>Save As...>Web Page, complete (Internet Exploder 6). I end up with an HTML document and a folder that contains all the photos n stuff.

Thanks - that is an extremely nice offer from you. And I'm glad my work is being appreciated - it does take some time. I actually start out these major write-ups in Word prior to posting on this site, so I'm in good shape. I'm been burned by my internet connection going down right in the middle of a long post so its much better to just copy/paste them in when I'm ready.

Is that the best way to archive this stuff? I've been using File>Save As...>Web Page, complete (Internet Exploder 6). I end up with an HTML document and a folder that contains all the photos n stuff.
Honestly, I didn't know you could do this - great tip! I will be using it in the future for all kinds of stuff. Favorite links sometime just disappear.